SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlehouseotprairie

Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...

My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl windows for our house, more specifically, the Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl windows. We currently have aluminum windows, double pane, but the home was a repo when we bought it, and some of the frames are bent and damaged. We also like the curb appeal of the vinyl windows, which is why we are making this upgrade.

Having never bought windows before, I asked some co-workers who are retired general contractors, as well as did my research online for reviews and checking out Consumer Reports. Reviews online are horrible, making me afraid to buy Jeld-Wen.

Does anyone know anything about JW Premium Vinyl windows?

Has anyone installed them or had them installed?

Co-workers say: Be careful of retro-fit windows because the seals are typically warrantied through the manufacturer for only 2 years. Though the window has a 10 year warranty, the seal is only good for 2 years. We will need to re-caulk the seals every 2 years, or else they will leak. Also, the benefit of switching to Low E glass is not THAT great. Stick with the aluminum windows.

The window installer says: He uses a polyurethane seal instead of caulk, and that he has never had a problem with leakage in the past. He said I will never have to re-caulk or re-seal the windows as long as they are in place.

Online reviews are not very clear. What I am reading is a lot of angry customers, either angry with Lowes or Home Depot for ordering them wrong, or having them arrive broken. I don't see that as Jeld-Wen's fault. Some just say in general that the windows were scratched or broken, and that Jeld-Wen wouldn't replace them. Again, I don't see why that is Jeld-Wen's fault. I would say it's the homeowner's fault for letting them get installed that way. I'm not really sure why people say that Jeld-Wen windows are inferior. They only mention things about the install rather than the windows themselves. And, when they do mention their windows, they don't mention WHICH windows they have. I can't seem to find any specific reviews on JW Premium Vinyl. Hopefully someone who HAS JW Premium Vinyl windows will read this and can give me some feedback.

Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports lists JW Premium Wood Tradition Plus windows, but not JW Vinyl. But, in general, they say that vinyl windows tend to leak air a bit more.

Hoping that someone can give me some expert opinion specifically on JW Premium Vinyl windows.

Thank you!

Comments (116)