SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bas157

nailing or screwing into 155 year old rafters?

bas157
18 years ago

Hi

I've got a house that was built in 1850. The insulation in the attic is very bad (thin or non-existant) so I'm going to enlarge the access hole to the attic so I can get insulation up there easier. Right now, it is about a square with 19" sides, which won't allow rolls of insulation to fit through.

The rafters I think are original to the house(so they are old). I'll need to attach some wood between the rafters to frame the opening. If they are original, they are still old since they appear to match the roof rafters which are pinned at the top with a wood pin(like a dowel).

I'm just worried that since the wood is old and dried, that if I hammer or screw anything into it, that it may split(probably will use screws, #8 and 1.5" long is what I purchased).

Does this sound like a reasonable worry? If so, anything I can do to prevent splitting? Pilot holes maybe?

The rafters are about 2-7/8" by 3.5" and appear to be very solid (no rot, decay or insect damage). I'm not cutting the rafters, just making the opening between a pair of rafters.

Since I'm asking, the ceiling of the 3rd floor is drywall, under the vapor barrier in the attic appears to be thin pieces of wood with some kind of stuff squeezed up between the gaps that is very hard (kinda looks like toothpaste squeezed from the tube in shape). Any idea what that is. I'm planning on using a jig saw or sawzall to cut the opening larger.

thanks!

Bruce

Comments (10)