SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canajo

Contractor built deck with interior nails/nail gun....what to do?

canajo
13 years ago

A contractor used a nail gun when building our new pine pressure treated deck in October 2009. It is obvious that the majority of the nails were not galvanized as most of them started to turn the wood black after a month. This happened despite being told repeatedly that the nails used should be galvanized. A year later, I want to stain the deck and I am just sick over the dark stains appearing around most of the nails. The contractor has been shown the nails recently and says that it is to be expected as it is due to the pressure treated pine coming in contact with the nails.

I have read in an earlier post that a recommendation was made to countersink the nails. Would that be the best solution? If the contractor refuses to correct the issue then what other alternatives do I have? Will I have to go with a solid stain to try to hide the dark spots? That is not something I really want to do.

Also, I live in Berlin, Connecticut. I can't seem to find a contractor that I feel comfortable with for staining the deck. Can anyone recommend a contractor by PMing me?

Thanks so much.

Nancye

Comments (12)