SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

How to answer job interview question

kittiemom
15 years ago

I have an interview tomorrow & I know I'll be asked why I want to leave my current job. I'm an accountant. My normal answer is that I'm unsure of the future in our state of the field I'm in (mental health). It's been a big topic here over the past year. That works well as an answer when I'm interviewing in a different field. This job, though, is with another mental health firm, though they provide a completely different type service than what my current company does. I thought about changing the answer slightly to say that I'm concerned about the future of the services my current company provides, since it does appear that the state might be cutting back on funding for these services. Just to clarify, I don't currently work for the state, but most of our funding comes from Medicaid & thus from the state. I also considered mentioning the 45 minute commute I have each way to my job now or that we had a big mgmt. change in June (pres. resigned) & that I don't really like the current direction of the company.

There are several actual answers to this question. The company is mismanaged & I'm concerned about the future of the company from that aspect. There is also the micro-management & the refusal of the company owners to run the company in a business-like manner. Of course, I can't tell the interviewer any of this.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I don't want to give a lame answer.

Comments (7)