SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenathegreat

Helping someone else declutter

jenathegreat
17 years ago

I had an interesting time over Thanksgiving. We spent a week with my mother in law. She's lived in her house for about 35 years and her DH has been dead for almost 20. She kept the house under control when he was alive, but it's been sliding downhill ever since. She has strong hoarding tendencies.

Over the last few months, we've been talking to her about doing some cleaning while we were up visiting. Slowly, she came to agree that it would be a good thing.

We started one afternoon while she was at choir practice with the spice cabinet. Now I prefer to not do things to her house when she's not there, but I was making lunch and pulled out some boullion cubes that expired in July 1980. Worse, this was not in the very back of the cabinet, but quite near the front and easy to reach. Then we found the sesame seeds that had turned into black powder and were from a store that closed many many years ago. My stepson and I grabbed some bags and started tossing stuff. She had a look through the bags when she got home and agreed that it was stuff she wouldn't use and could be thrown out - I'm so glad she didn't want to keep any of it, I don't think I could have eaten there again if she did!!

Anyway, after that she let me start going through the other cabinets. I didn't ask her to get rid of anything, just asked her questions like if she really needed 30 dinner plates (mismatched and most from goodwill)since she never has more than 4 guests and pointed out how the shelf was starting to sag. I was trying to be like Helen on that DiscoveryHome show, Neat - just ask questions about stuff and let her make her own decisions since I didn't want her cursing me when I left :) However, she really got on a roll and got rid of 4 huge boxes of stuff! We sorted through 7 cabinets plus a huge pile of tupperware.

There were quite a few trips down memory lane as we dug out stuff she hadn't seen in a long time. I think she's happy to have found some of her mother's things and to know she can get to them and use them now that they aren't buried under platic plates and other junk she didn't use (as evidenced by thick grime layers and dead spiders covering many things).

I don't really have any hope that the cabinets will be as neat and tidy as they were when we left (she stacks things randomly inside the cabinet, putting bowls on top of plates even though there's a pile for bowls). But I do hope that she can stick with her resolution to not buy any more kitchen stuff unless she really gets rid of something else.

But here's the best news.... she called last night to say she went through another 2 cabinets yesterday after we left!! Dare I hope that she'll keep it up???

- Jena

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH