SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Is it out of line to try to train someone elses dog when sitting?

munkos
17 years ago

So, I think I've mentioned before that we often sit for friends of ours. They have a little 2 y/o CKCS.

They haven't taught him anything beyond sit, really. He's housetrained, mostly. He has the occasional accident but it's very rare. And I think it's mostly because he sometimes forgets where out is, at our house.

He'll lay down, if you have a cookie for him. But that's the only time.

He doesn't even know come, or stay. I don't really blame them. They have a 4 year old, and right after they got the dog, she got pregnant. While the pregnancy was planned, it wasn't expected for it to be rough. So I guess beyond the basics, they didn't have the time to teach him anything else.

We've had him since saturday, and he will be here til thursday or friday. I kind of always thought he was some what of a slow dog. He just doesn't seem very smart when you first get to know him. But he's catching on to a lot of things really quick. He's learned to sit down when he comes inside, and stay. Two things he never ever did before. He's learned to stay off of our furniture, except when invited up. He goes to bed when he's told, now.

These are all just things OUR dogs know how to do, so we kind of enforce them with him here, too, because it's just how our household works. He really has no idea what 'come' means, though. You tell him to come and he'll sit down and cock his head at you, and then go back to what he was doing. He knows he's supposed to do something, he just isn't sure what exactly that is.

We used to just go with the lack of training he had, because it's easier to just let him be the way he knows how, for a few days, then spend the entire time trying to teach him things he won't remember the next time. But they're planning a wedding, and just got a new holiday trailer. So we will be sitting a lot, while they go on trips and out of town to do things for the wedding.

Would it be seen as offensive, if we work on their dog for them?? I honestly think that if he got the general idea of stay, and come, etc. That they would work on it afterwards. They just haven't had the time since the baby is born, to spend a whole lot of time with him in training. He is pretty smart, so I don't think it would be very difficult. I just don't want to step on their toes, or offend them.

I think I will work on come, either way, just because it's so important. I'd feel much better knowing he knows how to 'come', incase he ever manages to get out of the yard, or sneak out the front door when we run out to our vehicles or whatever. But should I try working on stay, and lay down for them too?? Or would it be seen more as offensive, than helpful?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio