SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

How to make it not feel like someone else's house

makeithome
13 years ago

I'm so torn. I look at all the things we want to do with the house we are buying, and we won't be able to tackle much at all in the beginning due to limited funds. This house is beautiful, but the style is just soooo not us. I have heard multiple times that we need to live in the house for a while before we start trying to do anything decor wise... but how do you get over the feeling that you are just a visitor in someone else's house? Not to mention most of our furniture needs to be replaced (it's a hodge podge of worn and beat-up pieces) and all the current wall colors are quite glaring.

I guess my question is... if I am supposed to wait to do anything to the house, how do I stop the feeling that the place isn't ours? How long should we wait before we paint? buy furniture? Change the kitchen layout?

Comments (54)

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that other people are suffering from the same feeling. After moving out of my family home, I have only lived in apartments, where the walls are freshly painted and the place is just one big beige or white box. Boring, but at least it was a blank slate.

It's funny that everyone here is suggesting paint. When I brought up the idea of paint not that long ago, I got a bunch of answers that were saying "No, live in the house at least 6 months so you can get a feel for the house and pick the perfect paint color. Don't touch anything when you first move in." And I was disheartened, just because I know I am going to walk in there and all I am going to see is the family who lived there before (I know what they all look like, including their dog, lol). No offense, but the idea of staying in a house and leaving it untouched for 6 months feels uncomfortable.

I really do want to take a paint brush to the walls and just paint, paint, paint. I do feel like it will make a world of difference. But my husband was like "We should pick our furniture first, and then coordinate the paint with that." And in a way, he has a very good point. But, when are we going to be able to buy furniture?

lol, I am probably just overwhelmed by the idea that in less than a week, I am going to own a house. I don't know what to do!! I don't know where to start... there is so much to do I can't even keep it all straight.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

if you know what furniture you're going to buy, or if you know you will be buying furniture in the next couple/few months, then i would wait...but, if you're not going to be furnishing the house for a couple of years, i would paint it a neutral or whatever enjoyable color BEFORE you move in... it's easier to paint when the house is empty!!! plus, if you paint 1st, you might not feel like you have to rush out and make rash buying decisions furniture/decor wise...you will probably be able to relax and take your time and furnish it without feeling desperate!!

you should also devise a plan of some sort...a priority list of which rooms are most important to you and tackle those 1st furniture wise...if you KNOW you absolutely want the family room done 1st or your bedroom or the kitchen...that/those room/s you can leave as is until after you move in and have had some time to shop and think about what colors or fabrics you really want and get matching paint at that time...

• Related Discussions

Anybody else feel like their new kitchen isn't clean?

Q

Comments (17)
    I would rather know by sight if my counter has something on it. As it is, I have to run my hands over it or follow up on something an angled light reveals. I like really clean counters. Before the Caesarstone I had white tile and it seemed so easy to keep the counter pristine. I do not want food mess disguised and hiding from me. A couple of weeks ago I made some butternut squash soup. I used an immersion blender and thought I was being careful. I'm still finding little dots of soup on the white doors of my upper cab near my prep area. If I had stained wood, I'd never see half the stuff that lands there.
    ...See More

hello make a bland concrete house on a tropical island feel like home!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks everyone, some helpful suggestions, soft furnishings and rugs seem to be the way to go. I'm moving with my husband and two young son's (a 2 year old and a 2 month old - so only one qualifies for a baggage allowance! ;)). We looked into shipping furniture and personal goods but the cost was prohibitive (double the value of the goods!) so we will be taking the bare minimum with us, clothes, books and some toys for the kids. Thanks for the link @beckysharp, that website is invaluable! also good thinking re: bedding, it sounds like the beds there tend to be standard size (tight squeeze) so my US sheets are likely to be too large, good thing I didn't waste valuable shipping space sending them!
    ...See More

Exhaustion after build? Anyone else feel like that too?

Q

Comments (17)
    I'm ready to move in. I started moving my kid's toys into their closets. My parents are bringing down furniture for my kid's rooms which are for the most part done. I'm to the point where I'm exhausted. I have had to do more than I thought I would have to do. I thought if you spent this much money you wouldn't have to touch up trim/wall paint, you wouldn't have to clean so much! I thought the new house would be move in ready. But with a rural custom home???? I just don't know why it has taken a year and we don't even have septic yet! No one told me I should have ordered custom cabinets when framing started. And so many stupid mistakes like I when I signed off on my super expensive front door... the interior trim between the sidelights was painted white but I have stained trim? I didn't even think to look at this detail closely because I told them my doors would have stained trim. So guess who is sanding off the white paint and staining it? ME! Made a mistake on where I wanted a light fixture so instead of paying extra to have it swapped I'm doing it! I guess I'm just not cut out for this home building stuff because I make too many mistakes. And the dust; there is no end to the dust or the mud for a matter of fact, when will it go away, I've cleaned a million times. I'm just ready to move in. We have managed to stay within the normal 10% overage but it has been a chore. :)
    ...See More

How to Use Someone Else’s Furniture in Your House

Q

Comments (33)
    Pink table does not work in dining room, the main reason the tray table does work is because I could pull it out as needed; the tray can be lifted up (held onto the legs with strong suction cups) and the legs scissored flat for storage. I am going to look at it for a day or two in the sitting room. My mother says she has at least one lamp that she thinks I would like to use, possibly two to choose from and I am welcome to either. I’m taking her a lasagna tomorrow and picking her up to go to the new George Clooney / Julia Roberts movie and will get a look at her lamp possibilities then. in the meantime I have seen a few that look interesting, all 18” or under: Metal would be nice slthough i prefer brass to anything gilded Very pretty Love this one! This one is alabaster.
    ...See More
  • work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Definitely paint. Also, since you can do so before you move in, having no furniture to move around, painting should go pretty quickly.

Being a person who likes color, and now being confident enough to try a color that might have intimidated me back when we bought our first home 25+ yrs ago, I would go with color(s). I think painting neutrals is a waste of time unless you are a neutral colors-type person. I like to paint definite colors and am now more confident in my somewhat scary choices. It is only paint and it can be re-done in the event you don't like how it looks. I've been known to be inspired by fall ghourds in the past and had them matched at the paint store. Well, come spring time when it is time to paint, pumpkin looks awful without the fall decor that was adorning my home when I had that color mixed:)). A lesson ~ what I think may work vs. how it looks IRL. For me, that's the fun of experimenting with paint. However, if your DH is anything like mine, you should pick a color you are sure you can live with for a bit of time! lol

You may feel neutral is best at this point, your choice, but now is the time to do painting, without furniture.

You can always change a room or the whole house, later if/when your taste changes (BTDT). Your post reminds me of when DH & I first moved into our home. First thing I did was remove the dark window treatments PO had at every window. We live in the woods and wanted to take full advantage of our new view. Next we painted from top to bottom - every room. All paint was dry before a piece of furniture came over the threshold.

In my book, painting of the new house is almost ceremonial when you move to a new place - house, apartment, or whatever your circumstance may be. There's definitely something about painting your new place that goes a long way toward making it feel like "your" home. You will pick the colors and have the aching back to remind you that it is truly yours.

Congrats on your new home. Everyone has started somewhere with making our new houses a home. Regardless of our AGI, I think paint is something most everyone can afford. If you are on a tight budget, or if you dare, choose paints from the oops cans of paint that have been returned to the big box stores. They are usually sold at a significant discount. I would buy a few boards and try different colors samples that you love in your new rooms. Look at the colors, and how they change with the light in your new home. Then make the color commitment.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Paint - you say the colors currently are "quite glaring" so I'd wipe all that out with a really safe warm white.

That's precisely what we did when we moved in here 20 years ago. I stripped the rooms that were papered and we painted everything Benjamin Moore Atrium White. It was perfect, never to be a permanent wall color but proved totally livable in every room, every light situation while we slowly went about the process of choosing colors.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• haley_comet
    13 years ago

I agree - get your favorite colors on the walls and put set your accessories and furnishings in place.

I ALWAYS paint immediately...OMG I could never live with someone elses paint choices for 6 months - wow..that would drive me nuts. Remember paint is the cheapest way to make over a room and really puts your handprint on the space.

My mother used to always say "Family makes a House a Home"..give it some time and build family memories there and before you know it you will be feeling awesome about your new place.

Haley

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I would paint, too. When we bought our house, it was mostly wallpapered -- I could not wait to get the old-lady wallpaper down! We hired a painter to strip the paper and paint the whole house Linen White. Not very exciting, but at the time, I was too overwhelmed to pick colors. It made such a huge difference. Later, we re-painted every room (over time) in other colors.

There are also a lot of "neutral-ish" paints that actually have some color to them but would work with lots of upholstery/furniture colors if you're not sure what you'll be buying later. There are a few posts on this forum about neutral colors, I think, if you search. A few of my favorites: BM Camouflage, BM Monroe Bisque, SW Ivoire or Blonde (gold, but works well with a lot of other colors), BM Revere Pewter.

• happyintexas
    13 years ago

I did live in my house for a few months before painting--I've done that in every home I've ever lived in. I can also see painting everything a warm white or soft tan. It gives you a clean slate to start with.

Paint is cheap and easy to do yourself! Go for it!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

My first recommendation is to try not to stress yourself out about it. Give yourself some time to adjust to the new home and soon it will feel like yours. I purchased my current (and first) home over five years ago. It took some time to feel like ours too, but now it feels like home.

Money is often tight when you first move into a home. The cost of a down payment combined with new expenses for owning (insurance, higher utility bills, maintenance and repairs, etc) can really add up. Give yourself time before you begin spending lots of money on decor.

We did not paint before moving in and I regret it. I wish we would have painted as it is much easier to paint without any furniture in the room. I have seen other comments in other threads about waiting to paint and living in the home, but I have to disagree. Paint is easy to change so I would paint it now and if you have to repaint again soon, so be it.

It is perfectly normal and acceptable to acquire furniture over time. I have purchased a few pieces over the last few years, but not many. More of my money has gone into renovating the home than it has into furniture. From time to time we have been given furniture (not always our taste, but usually in good shape) or purchased used furniture from friends and family. And in the recent years I have begun purchasing new furniture that I love. For nearly 4 years our living room was completely empty. Now I have two chairs that are perfectly me that I love that I found at an incredible sale price. And we have some sofas that were given to us by family members replacing their own.

Just give yourself time and don't worry about having a perfectly decorated home the moment you move in. Put together a list if projects and purchases and prioritize. In no time your home will feel like yours. Take care of affordable changes now (including paint) and pace yourself. Over time you can decorate the home and soon it will fit the image you have in your mind and feel like yours.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I couldn't stand the colors in my house when I bought it, they were garish ... bubble gum pink sponging in the bathroom, dark blue in a small dark kitchen, etc.

I had the entire house painted a warm white, as someone else mentioned. Then over time, I added color as I decided what I wanted to do in each room. 13+ years later, I have one more room to add color to, and another to change the color.

• dirtymartini
    13 years ago

I soo appreciate this post, and all the responses! We lived in our townhome for 14 years and finally have a HOME with an incredible YARD...but alas, no extra money to decorate the way I really want to. Our kitchen is a JOKE...original cabinets (mid 70s) and NO DOORS. It functions, but is sooo ugly and kind of gross. Thing is, I don't want a "cheap kitchen." I love to cook, love to entertain, and dammit...I deserve an incredible, dream kitchen! LOL, I am only half joking, my DH says I deserve it, too. But helloooo...we don't have the $$$! Then again, how much time is going to pass with this gross kitchen (I still have boxes of kitchen stuff/utensils/pots and pans/serving platters etc in the garage...because why unpack it? I don't have drawers or good storage or anything) because I am being stubborn and waiting for a DREAM kitchen?

My biggest problem is this...I am trying to not do things "half a$$ed." Like, we did not have window treatments in the guest room because I could not decide on what I wanted, and what I did want was soooo expensive. We had a sheet on our guestroom window for over a year. My husband finally said, "Enough, this is embarassing!" so we went to Home Depot and got those inexpensive wood blinds. Yes, they are functional and no they are not horrible, but now that they are in place I don't foresee us going back and spending more time and money on those WTs, so I am sure those will be my WTs in that room for many, many years.

We really need to get stuff hung on the walls. I TRULY think that will help me (and you, too) get that homey feel. I just have a hard time spending $$$ on art and wall decor when I need a kitchen, we need all new interior doors etc etc. I just have such a blank slate with this house that I am paralyzed with fear to do anything, so I do nothing!

Also, we waited so long for a nice home, and we plan on staying here a very long time, so I feel like every major decision I make is soooo important.

Oh, and we painted all the bedrooms (SW Wheeling Neutral in guest room, kind of a tan color, a deep red in DD11's room and a GORGEOUS dark green with brown undertones in our bedroom) but we chickened out in the family room/kitchen and living/dining area. We just did a white that is kind of sandy...DH keeps calling it "navajo white" although that was not the actual name of the color. I KNOW when we finally do paint a color in those rooms, we are going to wonder why we waited so long! But for now, we are kind of overwhelmed and the off white is just fine

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. So glad to know I am not alone.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Makeithome- I'm at work, so I didn't carefully read every post, and I hope I'm not repeating someone else's idea...but, have you ever seen Under the Tuscan Sun? Great movie!

Anyway, her advice was to take one room and make it your own. This will give you one space that feels like home and will also give you time to learn what you love about your new house...and what you don't.

She remodeled an old house in Tuscany, so maybe the movie would give you some ideas. If not, it's still a fun way to spend the afternoon :)

As for paint, it's great, but sometimes it's difficult to know what color to choose, if you don't know how you're decorating the rest of the house. Just remember, if you're only doing one room right now, you can always repaint it later, if your tastes change, but for now, make it your own and enjoy!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I did not read all the responses, but did notice several recommendations to paint which I wholeheatedly agree with. Many years ago when we bought our first home, our agent gave us what I feel to be good advice and, even if you do not paint the entire home prior to move in, paint all the closets! They are so much easier to paint when not full of clothes. Then if you decide to wait on some of the bedrooms, at least the closets won't need to be repainted.

As for the kitchen, I do agree with advice to wait until you've lived in the house for awhile. A kitchen remodel can be very $$, most likely you'll only get one chance to do it right whereas, if you decide 6-12 months later you don't like the paint in a particular room, you can always repaint it... especially if you can DIY!

• jab65
    13 years ago

Way back when, my husband & I lived in 10 different "homes" in 10 years. Since most were rentals, we weren't even always allowed to paint. I found that if I quickly put out my favorite "accessories" (like great-grandma's brass bowl from China,) it would start to feel like home. Thirty years later, some of these things are still "musts" for me. I guess they're memory makers that I'll try to take to the "home" with me one of these days!

• Penelope
    13 years ago

We moved into my late in-laws' house, fully furnished, many years ago and I remember the same feeling of needing to make it mine. We replaced some of their furniture with ours, even though ours probably wasn't as good a quality but it was more to our taste. We stripped wallpaper, painted, replaced carpet. It took a while, but every little bit really helped.

If you're too overwhelmed to paint the whole thing, what about an accent wall in an interesting color? Add some artwort, even if it's just posters, and that will help a lot. Pick up some of the decorating magazines that focus on "do it yourself" or "flea market finds" and work on customizing your furniture to go from "a hodge podge of worn and beat-up pieces" to maybe a shabby chic look. Paint the frames, add new upholstery or slipcovers, make toss pillows, buy yardage or sheets to make drapery panels or get inexpensive roll-up shades. Just because you don't have the money for major work now doesn't mean you can't have fun on a budget. It will make you enjoy your new home. Put out lots of family pictures, too, to erase the image of the former owners. And congratulations!

• nik211
    13 years ago

I've been in my house 13 months and it is JUST starting to really feel like our home. You can't do everything at once. We did a little at a time and we still aren't finished but we are getting there. It did take awhile for the house to start to feel personalized and cozy. Mostly because first we'd start with the flooring, or paint, or hardware, adding furniture here and there...later came the accessories and personal touches like plants, pictures, decor. Now it's starting to feel a lot more like "us".

Don't worry - you will get there! When I look at before and after pictures I can't believe how much it has changed - and is still changing!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Paint. If you can't decide on a particular shade or color -- then try a simple clean white to create a fresh look. Add colors with area rugs, cushions, artworks of all kinds!

Add artworks -- like your own photos. Mat them alike and add matching frames -- hang in a grid! Or try mats in colors that work with your decor. Mat and frame leaves. Frame wonderful squares or rectangles of wallpaper or wrapping.

Haunt thrift stores and discount stores -- especially the clearance aisles! Find your local flea markets! You never know what item might be "just the ticket" to make a room sing! The lamps in my living room (and we only have one living area here!) come from a sale at Big Lots!

But changing the kitchen is tough -- and needs to be examined, tested and those kinds of changes need to be determined over a bit of time! BUT -- that said -- DO paint, freshen, change the hardware or lighting or add creative solutions for storage. Make the kitchen work -- for now.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    13 years ago

If the paint is really glaring, then neutralize it for your own sanity. That will help most and be a quick-but-major change. Time, too, will help the place feel like yours.

I hated our house when we bought it, to be completely honest. DH and I felt pressure to buy b/c the market was going up, our previous offers on homes we liked more had not been accepted, and he was getting tired of looking at homes (we saw, what...ten homes?). Anyway, so this place sucked.

We're going on nine years now. The thing I hated most, the awful, 70s, one-butt kitchen w/broken cabs, was gutted and remodeled 2 1/2 years ago. After the remodel, suddenly the house wasn't so bad (still don't love the house but I DO love the kitchen).

Spend lots of time on GardenWeb making your big plans and put together inspiration files :-) After you paint and live there a year or two, you'll start to figure out what will help it feel like your home.

As for your furniture, hodge podge can be made to work together. There are lots of creative minds here on GW so don't be too hasty to get rid of everything and purchase new stuff. As I grow older, I find that I love to shop Craigslist, thrift stores, and garage sales. New stuff is not always better.

• riosamba
    13 years ago

Paint, and don't worry about whether your paint will work with future acquisitions. Repainting is easy. It sounds like you are youngish; I think you can get away with a painting party. Invite your friends, have plenty of mulled wine (or mojitos if you are somewhere warm!)and turn them loose with paintbrushes. The optimal time for painting is after the first drink and before the fourth:)

I wouldn't be in a hurry to "finish" your home. I think the most beautiful rooms evolve. Paint, put out your favorite things, get to know the house, and slowly add things you love.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you want to buy some furniture, then pick the living room as the room to make your own. Buy furniture, paint, turn it into what you want. Just don't make any structural changes, yet.

You have a very cute house and I'm sure you have some good ideas of what you'd like to do to make it your own. As for the kitchen, it sounds like with limited funds, paint may seem like your only option, but a few new curtains or valances, a change in hardware, even peel and stick floor tiles are cheap, easy changes that can be upgraded when more funds do become available :)

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I've lived so many different places, most of which were rentals with white walls and ugly carpeting. I learned early on, like Jab65, to use art I loved, bedding, area rugs, accessories and furnishings to make each place feel like my home. In the early years, the art was posters and fabric stretched over canvas and the furnishings were minimal. Over time, I've built up an inventory of nicer things. I've been in my current home six years, the longest I've ever lived in any one place as an adult.

I guess the foregoing was a long-winded way of saying that if you furnish your home with things you love, no matter what their cost, you will feel like you're at home. I also agree with those that suggest you neutralize any paint colors that are not at all to your liking. Even if you just paint them over with white or beige right now, you will lessen the impact of the previous owner's personality on the space.

13 years ago

dirtymartini -- IKWYM!

I just read your posting (yes, public admission that I didn't read everything before I posted). I didn't want to buy ANYTHING for this house, I wanted to save save save until we could afford to fix the kitchen. I guess that was my personality. My DS disagreed, he didn't see the point of suffering and suffering until we could afford to fix the kitchen.

I've learned a lot between then and now. I think the most important thing was that it's better to make a mistake and learn from it then to not try anything for fear of being wrong. I've also stopped being such a nitpicker about things being 100% perfect all the time. Done is better than perfect, at least in our income bracket LOL ;-)

Lastly, after paying for and living through a completely-gutted-mostly-DIY kitchen remodel w/layout changes (with a then-toddler, who now has a toddler brother), I now fully understand why everyone says paint is a quick, inexpensive, and easy fix!

13 years ago

I searched and found your other thread "How to paint and decorate a small and awkward room" and was treated to photos of your lovely place (and I do mean LOVELY...so much charm etc...my house is a no-style 70s rancher).

I also saw the photos you posted of rooms that you felt fit your personality. They all have very neutral colors, so I can see why you aren't a fan of the interior colors of your place. Paint will be your best friend :-)

Our place was all the same interior color when we moved in: semi-gloss white. I do not like semi-gloss in the living room, hallway, and bedrooms. I only sort of liked it in the kitchen. All our walls were reflective! Nine years later we've only re-painted about half the house. It can be a very slow process, just depending on your personality, financial situation, and available time.

Good luck with your new place!

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I'm one of those people who thinks you should live in a house awhile before you do anything to it.
    When you first move into a new home it's overwhelming. All those boxes and choices to make as to where stuff goes.
    Just getting a house to the level where it is functional after you move in is exhausting work.
    Add to that that you have holidays coming up.
    I understanding wanting to make it your own by painting BUT I'd wait.
    Put off the painting till at least after the first of the year. Give yourself time to adjust. Moving and buying a home is right up there emotionally with a spouse dying or getting a divorce.
    Money is going to be tight with a new house. You don't know what surprises you might run into the first few months. You will have holiday bills too. Last thing you need is money problems to make you fell trapped in your new home.
    While you are waiting make a plan. What style are you or do you want to be? Go to the paint store get sample colors. Hanging them in your rooms, see how they look in the different light.
    Make accurate measured floor plans of each room. Measure each window in each room. Make yourself a designers notebook. All your measurements, color samples, floor plans, window sizes, bed sizes go in this book. Take some pics of the rooms it can help you decide if what you have in your hand is what you want in your home.
    A little photo book you can buy at the dollar store can work and a book like that can save you from making expensive mistakes and allow you to take advantage of sales and unexpected finds.
    Have a page for each room. Keep your samples in the sleeves by room. When you do finally paint keep the paint chip you decided to go with in the sleeve of the book with how much paint you bought on it, the type and sheen.
    ALWAYS as a new home buyer carry with you that book and a tape measure.
    By the time the holidays are over, you've gotten into the grove of the new house and new routine and you've looked at your paint chips and a zillon magazine pics. You will be ready.
    In the meantime find small ways to fix the house so it is yours. Re-purpose a dresser so it becomes a focal point of the entry hall. Collect inspiration pics.
    Maybe switch out your bedroom lamps with your living room lamps. Prep your walls for painting...........that alone can be a challenge if the PO used alot of nails.
    Read up on some decore books for how to's . Take a couple of classes at the local home center so you know what you are getting into BEFORE you decide to tear something apart.
    If you sew maybe look at doing your own curtains or slipcovers.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

I think a big part of the problem is that before we move into a house we see it in our minds with the PO's stuff in it. Just putting your own things in the rooms will make it feel better to you.

However if the paint color or awful wallpaper are things that drive you nuts, removing wall paper and painting just about any color you like will make it feel more yours. Especially if you do it yourself. Whether you do it right away or wait a little bit you will find yourselves shaking your heads and laughing ("How could they have thought this was attractive?") as you cover up that bright orange (or whatever) paint in the dining room. And you will feel superior to those PO's.

Go with the flow. Your new house doesn't have to be "perfect" in one fell swoop. Have a "We'll get there over time." attitude and a sense of humor. Enjoy your new home!

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I can't believe the incredible responses that I have gotten from everyone. Really, thank you! You have all done so much to put my mind at ease. I guess I see all these beautiful designs and in my mind, everyone makes it look so easy. But, all I see is the finished product. I guess I need to accept that good design and the overall feeling of "home" kind of evolves over time, and it can easily take years to get everything feeling "right".

I wish I could respond to each and every one of you, but that would probably take hours, and I need to get some packing done tonight, lol. However, I wanted to make a list of some of your advice that has really resonated with me:

1. Painting everything a nice, neutral color will give us a blank slate that's easy on the budget

2. Making something feel like home takes time

3. I shouldn't buy something unless I am absolutely in love with it... because then I can be somewhat assured that I will still love it years down the road and therefore get my money's worth

4. Living in the house for a while is key before making any structural changes

5. Taking my time will help to prevent me from making poor design decisions and will allow me to better enjoy the home ownership process

6. Buying a home is emotionally draining and I will need time to recover

7. Starting a notebook and taking detailed notes will help me to analyze my decisions and will tide me over in between projects

8. Rent Under the Tuscan Sun

9. Our new house is charming, even with the crazy green and yellow and blue plaid rooms

10. Continue to read and post to Garden Web often :)

THANK YOU!!!!

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

By the way, I figured I would share the pictures of our house in case people didn't get to see them in my other thread. I'll even show pics of the kitchen with the crazy layout that will need to be renovated at some point (who puts the stove next to a non-corner cabinet?? And let's not discuss the crazy blue counter tops...) and the partially finished basement, the two bedrooms, and the back yard. These are all from the MLS. The bedroom pictures don't show much at all of the spaces, which is too bad because they are adorable.

Front

Kitchen

Living Room

Dining Room

Bedroom

Sun room

Finished Basement

Back Yard

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Wow, what a nice home! You have so many interesting features to work with on the inside, and the exterior is just gorgeous.

• kjmama
    13 years ago

Really cute house! I hope you soon find it to be home.
    We just moved and are experiencing similar feelings. Our kitchen has crazy cabinets too! LOL. I like that you wrote out your list from what you gleaned. :) Thanks.
    We painted and took out the floors... good and bad on the floors. They were pee soaked, and covered with nicotine....ewe so they had to go. We have been living with plywood, which I don't recommend, but considering the alternative it was worth it. After 3 months, we are finally about to get our floors in... took that long to pick... we sort of were camping out. I am so excited to get done and really move in, put up our stuff. Now.... the kitchen is another story:)
    Best of luck.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

makeithome - You've purchased a very nice home! It may take you a bit of time to make it your own, but I would like to inject a bit of what I think makes a house a home, or at least, what made our house our home.

When we first purchased our home, we did so because of the property and privacy afforded by the amount of property, more than for the house itself. Our house is a 1 1/2 story cape cod style home.

We had all sorts of grand plans that we were going to accomplish "right away". I had a list as long as my arm of "must do's". Well the paint happened right away.

A year or so later our DD came along, and I became a SAHM. At that point we looked at our money differently. We had a new set of priorities, and our life was full and we went forward with living in our home.

We did install our new hardwood floors, re-carpeted the upstairs living space where our BRs are located along with a few small DIY reno projects. Also managed to accomplish a few of our "musts". We put in an inground swimming pool, added a back deck to entertain, etc. for summer fun.

The absolutely horrible orange 1970's laminate countertops that were on the "must change immediately" list, still remain to this day. lol Yet somehow, they became less of an issue, and I can tell you honestly that the 70's orange no longer bothers me the way it did on the day of settlement.

Since I love to cook and it is one of my favorite hobbies, I learned to make the best of my galley kitchen. I clean and polish the oak cabinetry every week or so. We now walk on hardwood as opposed to vinyl flooring. I've hosted so many great family/friends dinners, holiday celebrations, milestone birthday parties, 2 retirement parties, and even an outdoor casual wedding reception here in our home.

I really don't even "see" the kitchen any longer. I did paint it a cheerful color which I love, and have decorated it to my liking. But the best thing about the kitchen for me are the resounding compliments about how good and plentiful the food is that I prepare and serve to my friends and family when we do entertain. Those compliments trump any renovation we've not made to our little kitchen. To tell you the truth, I have learned that my kitchen, while a small galley, is an excellent work space for me, as it is set up for just that. While I love to cook and do so pretty much every night, having friends and family here for dinners, etc., have made the kitchen the heart of our home. I have all of the best in the way of tools - good pots & pans, great everyday dishes, 3 sets of china service for 16, serving dishes, good knives, etc. As the kitchen space is so limited, many of my "tools" are used decoratively.

You've gotten some great suggestions. I think you should definitely paint, but your home will feel more like your own by the way you use it to live your daily life. The celebrations and milestones you mark. Your kids and pets, should you have any.

This site is an unending resource of decorating ideas. I hope you find the balance between needing a completely redecorated space vs. a home in which you live your life. It will be the memories you make that you will treasure, not whether you have the most up-to-date decor.

Just my $.02 for what it is worth.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

makeithome, congratulations on your new house! I love the way it looks in the front and the back yard. The interior's colors may not be my taste but the colors are not so bad. That kitchen would bother me and I would remove the wallpaper ASAP on the soffit and find a color to paint the kitchen that you would like. Maybe even just a nice neutral color like BM Bone White for now to give you peace as you save money to do what you want with the kitchen.

If the colors in the rooms bother you, I would paint them colors that you like or just do neutral throughout the home to give you a calming environment until you are ready to decorate one room at a time.

I read everyone's posts and I must say that this is such a great forum with so many caring and knowledgeable members. I am glad to be a member.

Welcome to the Home Decorating Forum and enjoy your new home!

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

makeithome, I remember your house now! I knew that you had another thread, but I couldn't quite remember your house. I do remember you were having issues with some of the rooms as they were awkward shapes. I hope you got that part figured out without too much anguish :).

I know after we bought our home last year, I just needed time to decompress. With the way the housing market and mortgage market is, we were really put through the wringer big time, and it was extremely stressful. My Mom had never seen anything like it...she felt terrible for me. They are especially finicky with first-time buyers nowadays. I hope to never, ever have to go through what I went through again!!!!!!

If you have trouble picking paint colors, I also would suggest something neutral in most of the rooms. You know your own personality and tastes best, so only you know what colors. I can't stand white, and I knew exactly what colors I want, so we went for it and it looks great. Even if we were going to paint neutrals every where, it wouldn't have been a white based neutral. It's all based on personal taste.

The minute we painted our kitchen red and the family room a deep, rich beige/tan, I knew that we did the right thing and we went on room by room. We are almost done with the painting.

Once your furniture gets in and you come home everyday from work it will start feeling like home real fast :). Then when the first mortgage bill comes that's when it reallyfeels like home LOL.

• User
    13 years ago

makeithome, I agree with all of the list....except that I would add one item and modify one item.

1. Add: you have a house with small rooms. When you acquire furniture, don't think huge, overstuffed furniture. Nothing makes a small room look smaller than big furniture. We're in a bungalow and have found that small furniture definitely is preferable.

2. Modify: I wouldn't necessarily go with neutral paint colors. There are permanent features in your home that have color and you might want to consider accenting them. For instance, the newel post and the fireplace brick appear to be of similar tones...a great color would tie them together. Remember, paint is temporary and can be changed easily and fairly inexpensively.

Your house is wonderful. Living in it for a while (yes, one year or so) will be the smartest move you make because things you believe to be important today will fade in importance...and things that you aren't even thinking of today will jump to the top of the priority list. That happens all the time.

Good luck on this journey!

• loribee
    13 years ago

I remember this charming home now too~
    You've been given great advice!
    I'd paint my favorite color first, then...take your time and enjoy your lovely new home.
    Post often-we'll help you room by room!

• teacats
    13 years ago

For a modern modern decor look (I remember that point from your previous posting) -- paint the kitchen in plain fresh white -- and paint the cabinets in satin black to work with the appliances.

Add modern hardware! Check sources like ebay for real deals!

Add updated lighting too! Maybe change to a pendant light above the sink .... check out Lowes Portfolio collection.

Those steps will REALLY change the look and feel of the area -- and help to make it feel yours -- until you get a chance to renovate!

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

Painting walls is cheap and easy to change. I say do that without hesitation. Any remodeling which is serious and not for fun & beautification gets my blessing to start

Anything past the cheap and superficial, I agree with living there 1-2 years.

I've discovered you go into a new place with big initial ideas, but it takes some living time to understand:

how much space you really have...

how your lifestyle and routines change in your new environment...

what the sun & moonlight does throughout the YEAR...

realizing the side window that annoyed you at first has the most spectacular view...

discovering what architectural details you love & hate and realizing how much that changed from the day you moved in...

actual uses of the rooms despite the names (ie: discovering the kitchen is the real hang-out as opposed to the room you thought you would just cook in)...

I will tell you that when exH and I bought our first house, he changed nothing, and didn't allow me to change anything...Ever. I was fine the first year. 2nd year I was trying to sell/promote the new decor ideas. 3rd year I was saddened by the house and never getting to see the possibilities, and it just felt the same as every other apartment I'd rented...not mine.

Fast forward several years, a divorce, and a home by-myself purchase...I LOVE MY HOUSE! Always a DIY going and it's like walking into a big warm hug...even with the kitchen ripped up and in-progress.
    Gayle

• kismet08
    13 years ago

First off, I love your house. It's super cute and charming! We have moved frequently in 20 years of marriage, and the home we are in now is our 7th. We've been in it nearly 3 years, and I *still* don't quite feel like its home. Some of it is because we downsized on this move, so I could stay home with the kids, and partly because we purchased this one way too quickly. We were under pressure, relocating from out of state, one house hunting trip and went with what was available. I was thinking in the back of my mind (given that I am sooo good at moving) that if it didn't work, we'd build later. And then the housing market went to heck. So, I feel a bit, well - stuck. I am also trying to make a hodge podge of furniture work, since many of them were purchased for the perfect spot in a previous home. ARGH.

Anyway, here is my advice, and they may or may not all apply to you. Remember it's free, and sometimes you get your money's worth. LOL Apologies in advance if this is a rehash of other's advice.

1)Embrace imperfection. Just like nobody is perfect, no house is perfect.

2)Don't daydream about how if *you* had built the house, you'd have done this, that or the other. Trust me on this one. I've wasted more time wondering why on earth anyone ever thought a closet door opening directly into the closet racks was ever a good idea. There are other quirks I curse about daily. Remember, it's a process, and the more you can let go or change to suit your own needs, the better. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your living room.

3)Do one thing that puts your stamp on the house as soon as you can. This could be as simple as painting a room or a cabinet, changing out a light fixture, or adding an outlet so you can vacuum without tripping a fuse (don't ask).

4)Resist the temptation to do everything at once. One thing that makes your heart sing every time you look at it can motivate you to do more. Things will evolve naturally from there.

5)Don't apologize to others for how your house looks!! So it's not perfect in your eyes yet. That's okay. I doubt theirs is either. It's funny, most women finally believe that it's okay for them not to look like super models and be accepting of their own personal imperfections. Did that energy get transferred to expecting perfection in their homes? I'm not saying you fall into that category, but I know I did/do. I still struggle with it. I feel pressure to tidy up or finish a room before a big holiday where I know the camera will be out. It's a sickness. Then I realized the coziness I was craving was actually born from the imperfections that surrounded me.

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

• dirtymartini
    13 years ago

~work in progress' comments about her kitchen REALLY made me smile, as did kismet's post about perfection. If you look back on my response to this thread, you will see why. I so enjoy everyone's thoughts and how this is not "just" a home decor forum, but a little bit like therapy, too!

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

I love your home! No doubt that some people will tell you that you don't need to change a thing... but I'm certain you will want to.

Hubby and I bought our first home together six years ago. Between the time we signed the offer and the day we moved in, Hubby had a disabling work accident that ended his career. He's had a series of surgeries and set-backs since. Needless to say the dream home we envisioned hasn't come to be. The original owner's paint is still on the walls, the shag carpet that we wanted to replace with hardwood is still on the floors and we are still using old furniture that doesn't quite fit the unusual shape of our living room.

I will create or contribute to comfortable, thriving environments for
    myself and others
    that are supportive of learning and growing,
    success
    and the making of happy memories.

Nothing in my mission statement says that my furniture must match, that the curtains must reflect a certain era or that my family should live in a show home.

Watching HGTV and visiting sites like this could be very depressing... or it could inspire creativity. Some people here have a lot of money to spend on decorating and they make keeping up with the latest trends a priority. Others are like us, struggling to get a start and to make our house feel like "ours".

I've paid special attention to a few of the most comfortable and welcoming homes I've visited lately. Two are owned by members of our church; they host meetings I attend. Like my home and yours, their homes have what decorators would call, "lots of potential". These homes are terribly outdated, with bits and pieces of decor That don't really "go" that have been collected over a lifetime of memories. My grandmother's house was the same. I remember rummaging through her old painted cupboards for my favourite mis-matched mug and fighting my siblings for "the best" (which meant most comfortable, not the most attractive) toss cushion to cuddle while watching tv. I love these houses and the feelings I have there.

My personal mission statement includes a line that says, "I will create or contribute to comfortable, thriving environments for myself and others that are supportive of learning and growing, success and the making of happy memories." Nothing in my mission statement says that my furniture must match, that the curtains must reflect a certain era or that my family should live in a show home.

As I search Kijiji and Craig's List for "new" furniture I keep all of this in mind. Our feelings and our memories create a home. That means people create a home, not their stuff.

You'll do fine!

...Pam

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh your new home is freaking adorable!!!! I actually even like many of the colors, but their choice in furnishings wasn't the best for many of the spaces....big stuff, in small spaces just challenges one to make immediate changes IMO.

Take time....but really, paint is cheap so don't knock down walls...but do splash you on the walks.

I so believe that you should wait a year for structural stuff. We are at eleven months in our néw home and many of the things we thought we would do have changed as we have gotten a feel for the flow of the house, and our life within it.

But I did follow the Tuscan ideal and redid one room pretty early because I needed a space. Even though I know the work is probably going to be short term, I am so glad vie now done a room fir me (dining room) and a room fir dh (smoking parlor) because I know that just walking into those spaces that say "dawn was here" means a lot to my little brain in finding a home within these four walls.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Again, thank you so much for all the responses. Everyone has contributed some very valuable advice, and I really appreciate it.

As so many of you have pointed out - what will make this house feel like "home" are the memories we create inside those 4 walls (and in the back yard). I know, not decor-wise, one of the first things I wanted to do was bake an apple pie just to "christen" the place and give it just a hint of that "home-made" smell. I am sure that my hubby and I will create some wonderful memories just in the act of putting the keys in the door for the first time, walking through the empty house just the two of us, and unpacking all of our things.

And, in a way, I guess I shouldn't complain about it feeling like someone elses's "home"... maybe just someone else's "house". The decor and everything are part of the "house", the feeling of love in a place is the feeling of "home". And if there was one thing that I felt about this house the second I walked in... you could literally feel the "love". This couple loved each other, their son, their dog and their two cats very much... and they loved this house. You could just tell. And I do want to keep that overall feeling in our home... just not the paint colors and plaid furniture :)

Thanks again, for all your advice!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Pam (Prairedawnpam), what an inspiring post, and so sorry about your husband; I hope he's doing better. I'm sure your home is warm and welcoming because you are. (And put that rug over that shag!)
    Dee

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Nice pictures...I like the basement. Guy room in the making :)

Your kitchen is charming. The countertops would look nice with the gray/blue color you posted on the other thread (in your living room inspiration photos). You could paint the cabinets white, but the wood looks nice, too.

Baking an apple pie sounds so cozy! It's perfect for this time of year. Once you get moved in and start putting up the holiday decorations...I think you'll feel like you're at home in no time! :)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'll agree with most of what is posted already, but my first 2 "projects" would be to lose the paper on the kitchen walls and take off the plaid curtains (and then maybe also tone down the dining room yellow).
    The rest is really not so bad. You will want to coordinate with your stuff, but on their own, their colors are not as I was picturing when I first heard they were not great.
    I probably would have picked differently, but those colors are cheerful and the walls looks like they are in great shape.
    This is a house in which you could host a party in in the first week. That is a big benefit to start out so well!

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

What a cute house! Our house was owned by the PO's for over 35 years, and it was very emotional when they handed us our keys. The house had their stamp everywhere, even though they'd tried to neutralize it as much as possible; all walls were white, neutral berber carpet throughout, simple blinds on all windows, etc.

I think the VERY first thing that made it OUR home was when I put an heirloom piece of furniture given to me by my late father. It had travelled with me for years, and been moved from place to place in our old homes, until FINALLY it was put in the spot that was perfect.

The next thing I did was outside. I had DH cut down what I referred to as the 'pee bush'...it was a giant shrub that smelled, well, like urine. The second it was out I had him put a fountain out front for me, and that kind of announced to the neighborhood that it was 'OUR' home now.

Over the last 6 years I've completely transformed this house into something that doesn't resemble the old place one bit...and I have to say, it is definitely ours now. I did it with a lot of sweat equity, patience, and paint. And I'm ready to repaint some of those rooms I painted when we first moved in.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share with you that we got our keys today. The final walk through was very eye opening because we got to see the house without all of their stuff in it.

Just the act of them moving out their belongings definitely made the place feel less like them. Now it just feels... like a house. It's funny because I didn't think I could love that house any more... and after the final walk through, I definitely do. The spaces feel so much bigger without the PO's over-sized furniture.

I know that soon, this place will feel more like ours. Thanks for all the advice!

• azwildcats70
    13 years ago

Here's my advice:

1. Start with paint. If you have a room that is not going to require a total redecoration, paint it. It's the least expensive way for big impact.

2. If you have a few rooms that you want to redecorate, like I do, pick a room. Start creating your design board or design album. It should help you put things together visually to get a sense of the feeling of the room. Once you get your design fairly solid, paint!

3. It's OK if some rooms that are not used a frequently remain a work in progress, but rooms that you use often try to finish. Living in unfinished rooms causes me anxiety!

4. Use this site. The people here are so helpful. They give you design advice, color advice, recommend cheaper options, etc.

Here's some pix/links to give you an idea:
    My reading room, which is still in progress

Kitchen Re-do. We did it ourselves. Well, everything but the back slash and granite. Total out of pocket $7250

Kitchen design album - these were just pictures that I would save for ideas
    http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Other/Home-design/12883677_n2q52#936728932_3mfPf

Here's the Kitchen in Progress
    http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Other/Kitchen-in-Progress/12963085_mDSZn#967564981_Zspyi

Here's the finished Kitchen
    http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Family/finsishedkitchen/13429183_MMPGm#977299982_5RsyH

Paint does wonders!
    Dining Room before - yep it was a pink living room:

Dining room now:

Deck before

Deck after

Hearth room before

Hearth room after but before the kitchen redo.

• collence
    13 years ago

we have many great idea for home decors.Visit our site and take new and cheap idea.[url=http://www.modularhomes.org/Alaska]Alaska Prfab Homes[/url]

Here is a link that might be useful: - Alaska Prefab Homes

• loribee
    13 years ago

Congrats Makeithome!! Can't wait to see what you decide to do~~~
    Azwildcats...fabulous makeovers!

• msrose
    13 years ago

azwildcats - What a great inspiration! Can you tell me what paint colors you used in the kitchen, hearth room, and dining room? I can't tell if they're all the same color or different colors.

Laurie

• azwildcats70
    13 years ago

Hi Laurie,

Hearth room = BM Berkshire Beige w/ BM Decorator's White Trim
    Kitchen = BM Berkshire Beige w/ White Dove on cabinets
    Dining room = BM Meditation (Potterybarn color) & BM Super White Trim
    Reading Room = BM Van Buren w/ BM Super white trim
    Foyer = BM Coastal Fog w/ BM Super White trim

Next rooms to paint
    Mudroom = BM Revere Pewter w/ Decorator's white Trim