SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

How to Use Someone Else’s Furniture in Your House

Kswl
last year
last modified: last year

My mother moved from a large condo in the city to a small house in our 55 and older community just before last Christmas. Disposing of the furniture she couldn’t use was a complicated jigsaw of shipping ( cousin in NC), waiting for pick up (SIL in NC), donations, and moving van delivery to me and DS2 (who had just moved into a new apartment). I took a beautiful cabinet I have coveted for years that is now in the downstairs family room, and the pieces of my parents’ bedroom furniture that wouldn’t fit into her new house. I love her bedroom furniture and since she was keeping an armoire, bench and nightstand I took the desk and tall dresser so someday someone would have the complete collection. There was only one place for it—- the twin guest bedroom. I put my daughter’s handpainted chest of drawers in storage and donated the antique wicker desk painted pale pink; it never would have survived another child anyway. I had the room repainted the same color I chose for my mom’s bedroom in the new house, PPG Filigree—- an ethereal lighter blue that looked great with her blue and green furniture. We had to move the beds far apart to accomodate the wide desk, and the chest is just a tad too large for the room. Mom liked my baby ruffled white cotton curtains so I gave them to her, and she offered some silk ones she’d used in her dressing room that I took and are beautiful. It’s not the room I envisioned, isn’t fun and kid friendly, but it echoes my childhood home and I do love the furniture itself.

I kept the headboards and bedding, and the mirror I bought to go over DD’s chest.

Depending on how you look, the desk is actually more blue than green. That’s my existing bench from DD’s old room with the infamous Ballard sage green check upholstery. I didn’t even realize until I saw the picture that one of mom’s tassels was still attached 🙂 And there’s DD’s old rabbit lamp, still on nightime duty.

Pressed flowers on the wall, one my mom’s and four I framed.

The chest with my mother’s colored pencil portrait found during her move. I had it framed in similar colors to the chest.

This gives a better look at the colors. This is from Baker, late 60s or 1970, I think.

Curtains still need to be steamed. You can’t tell from the photo but they are light blue and green plaid, aqua where the two cross.

An upholstered stool from my mom’s house at the foot of one bed.

And this beauty at the foot of the other. It needs to go, it is completely out of place in this room, but where can I put it? ☹️ It was in my mother’s small den next to an apple green chenille upholstered chaise positioned between a white marble fireplace and a tall window looking out onto trees in a courtyard.

Comments (33)