SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

How do you feel about being an overnight guest in someone's home?

3katz4me
4 years ago

We just spent a few days visiting friends - we had planned to rent a VRBO but they really wanted us to stay with them. There weren't any good places to stay anywhere nearby so this did make sense - we could spend more fun time together without a lot of driving around in traffic. We had a nice visit but it reminded me how I really don't much care to stay at someone's home. I'd rather stay in a hotel or vacation rental. I don't know exactly what it is that I don't like - part of it is probably imposing on someone who is making meals for you, etc. The other thing I notice is people feeling the need to entertain you and/or figure out things to do with you. I don't need to be doing something all the time - fine with just hanging out and enjoying wherever it is that I'm visiting or helping friends with whatever they need to get done (or at least staying out of their way). And I feel kind of obligated to get up and go to bed in line with the hosts' schedule - which can be challenging if they stay up late and get up early.

Sometimes too I guess people's homes are not setup as well for overnight guests as a pay-to-stay place; i.e suitcase on the floor, no surface area to put your stuff, no washcloths (I use them but apparently others don't so I now bring my own if staying in a private home). This last stay was in a place with extreme clutter mostly due to extenuating circumstances I think. I had to control myself not to help "clean up" which would have been rude. I had a nice visit and I'm grateful for that. In a couple months we'll be visiting some other friends who would be hurt if we didn't stay with them. We never stay with anyone more than three nights - we're both more than ready to get home after that. I imagine it's probably different if you're staying with family vs. friends.

Comments (52)