SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beauzer12

Need Advice on Short-Term Storage during Remodel

beauzer12
11 years ago

I must empty the contents of my living room, dining room, kitchen and garage for a remodel job that begins in January. It is anticipated to take take two to three months for the job to be finished. I plan to pack as much as possible in moving boxes. There will be no upholstered items going into storage.

I am debating using an outside covered porch to store everything instead of using a portable storage unit that must be stored at a warehouse. The porch is quite deep, and it does not get wet, even when there is heavy rain. My idea is to use large tarps (under and over all the boxes and furniture) as an added layer of protection.

I live in a climate with moderate temperature and typically low humidity during winter and early spring. Is my idea of storing things on the porch for a a short time not a very good one? Would I be better off spending $600+ for a portable storage unit?

If anyone has done this and had either a good or bad experience, I would be so glad to hear about it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (8)