SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house123_gw

Replace range during kitchen remodel?

House123
12 years ago

Hi,

We originally planned to keep all our existing appliances during our kitchen remodel. They're all stainless steel, are 1 - 8 years old, and work perfectly fine.

Then, my husband suggested replacing our 8-yr-old range, mainly because it's a 'slide-in' (Thermador). There appear to be fewer 'slide-in' ranges to choose from than 'free standing' ranges, which concerns me a bit since we will likely have to replace it some time in the (hopefully distant) future. So, now, I'm wondering if we should buy a free standing range now, which will require changes to the cabinet and counter layouts. I figure better to do it now since we'll already be in the midst of a pretty major kitchen remodel.

If it were only that simple! We currently have an over-the-range microwave that vents our range. Unfortunately, the mw vent is too week for the free-standing range we're interested in, the Wolf DF304. So, that means we would have to get a hood vent and find a new home for the microwave (I do like the look of a hood better than a bulky OTR mw). I want to relocate the mw in the upper cabinets, but the uppers won't be deep enough (13"), as I understand most microwave's are at least 14" deep. So my cabinet maker suggests putting it below the counter. But, I really don't like under the counter microwaves, as it seems very awkward to bend down to use.

Just looking for anyone's advice. Is it worth getting a new range? Doing so is creating a ripple effect (new hood, additional configuration of cabinets for the mw). While I think the Wolf range and hood would really look sleek, the main reason I'm even thinking to replace my current range is because I'm afraid there won't be many slide-in options to choose from when it comes time to replace it. And, if we are 'forced' to opt for a free-standing range down the road, might as well do it now. As a side note, we plan to live in this house long-term (at least the next 20 years).

I keep going back and forth and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks!

Comments (11)