SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

How does your garden grow?

annie1992
15 years ago

yes, it's that time of year. My tomatoes didn't do as well as they usually do, it was too hot, too dry, we had a late frost that killed my plants and I had to replant, then floods, then two months with no rain, and then torrential rain. Anything that didn't split got blossom end rot. Sigh. I did get this many:

{{!gwi}}

I only canned 14 pints of salsa, 8 quarts of stewed tomatoes and 10 quarts of regular tomatoes, out of 65 plants, not so very good.

The potatoes, though, they went crazy. I planted 5 lbs. of Pontiac Reds, and I have about 150 pounds of potatoes in my garage, five 5 gallon buckets full plus overflow and they're BIG:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The cabbage did well too, heads averaged 5-7 pounds but I got one big 11 pounder. These all got sliced for sauerkraut and they are happily fermenting, all 35 pounds of it.

{{!gwi}}

My green peppers weren't happy at all, they produced nearly nothing, and I got ONE ripe habanero. The jalapenos really did well, though, as did the "mystery pepper" that Elery bought on clearance. They grow straight up, like a botanic version of a spiked hair do, and start green, turn yellow, then red. I think they are cayenne. I got a big colander nearly full, and I chopped them and put them in the dehydrator, so Elery can have hot food all winter!

{{!gwi}}

No pictures, but I did can 4 pints of pickled beets and still had enough for supper last night. I've canned 3 pints of concord grape juice, from the first harvest on my vine. I was going to make jelly and just lost my "oomph" somehow....

So, how does YOUR garden grow?

Annie

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus