SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Help plan my Kitchen control center?

pinktoes
16 years ago

In the final planning stages here for the new kitchen. I'm down to 2 available spaces for my "control center": (1) 12 square inches of wall space above the garbage can (stepcan which I love having out in the open). At the end of my run of upper cabinets and the side is at the framed doorway into the living room. Cabinetry is all custom, so I could design something (for more $, but doable). (2) Side of the refrigerator that faces the run of counters there.

I have the major family dropoff zone and bill paying elsewhere. This is just for: my freezer log, weekly menus, ongoing grocery list--all kept on clipboards now; note pad and pens; preprinted 3x5 reminder cards ("turn off hose"; "feed birds"; "decant cereal"; "get up in the morning"; etc.); a few clothespins for everything; freezer tape & marker; magnifying glass. I need a writing surface at 36" or so above floor and arthritis dictates it not be vertical (flat or slanted ok). Also, a dropdown or pullout writing surface would be a negative.

And, though I hate open storage, this is used so often during the day that I really should keep most of it out in the open(except freezer log, tape, pen and maybe the reminder cards).

This is the minimum I can reduce it to. It should function like a standup desk. I could use the side of the fridge, with magnetic bins, and do my quick writing on the counter there. Any ideas on which of the 2 spaces is better and how to arrange it?

Comments (13)