SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

musing on momentos

mommabird
13 years ago

The post about hoarding, and the High School mugs, has me musing on momentos. I am 46 years old. What I did in HS has very, very little relevance to my life now. Along the years, moves, etc I have gotten rid of all HS moments except yearbooks, photo album and class ring. Ditto for college - only a photo album, yearbooks and sorority paddles. I have never once missed anything I've gotten rid of until now.

My teens think it's cool when their friends wear their parents tshirts from their HS. Yes, these are people in their 40s and 50s that still have tshirts from their HS!!! It is pretty cool, and I do wish I had kept a few thsirts and a few of DH's, but they are long gone.

I had a box of "awards" I have earned over my career - little plaques, marble desk sets, etc. About 2 years ago I decided that those trinkets are not me and don't even represent good work I've done. I made a list of the awards, companies I worked for and dates for future job hunting and JUNKED the junk!

Now here's my delima. I have 3 sons and have tried very hard to limit keeping "momentos" of their childhoods. But even keeping limited momentos, I have about 5 large plastic tubs full, and have 8 more years until the youngest graduates from HS!

Help me out - what should I keep? I don't keep school papers or anything like that. I don't print pictures at all any more - just digital. Trophies go in their rooms on their bookshelves. That still leaves Cub/Boys Scouts awards, sports team pictures and awards, school awards, and misc other stuff.

What do you all keep for your kids?

Comments (10)