SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

I need your thoughts on trying to camouflage an area that bugs me

zipdee
14 years ago

Okay to start off this is the offending area .. Yes, where and how the stairs end :

I've had this picture rolling around in the back of my mind for years. It's from cottage living, in a perfect world her shelf goes over her whole pew and creates a very cohesive balanced look :

In my non - perfect, quirky old house world .. well mine wouldn't. :p What I could do though, is start my picture shelf/coat rack abutting the stair moulding and go half way over the bench.

Please don't get hung up in my bad rendering. *LOL* I only made it up to kind of show you all what I'm talking about. Then I could lean pictures on top, some of them would cover the ending of the stairs. Here's said *sad* picture .. please read below for questions :

Okay, questions :

1) does this help out or just add too many angles and fluff .. in effect making things worse ?

2) Does it look strange just adding 'half' a shelf and coat rack ?

3) Would I be better off just hanging maybe like three same sized pictures on the wall, letting the last one kind of run into the end of the stair moulding?

4) Any suggestions you have would be welcome, bar high wainscoting in the hall, which is a no - go.

Thanks!

Comments (31)