SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Portobello mushroom stuffed with spinach -needs improvement

Lars
12 years ago

Yesterday I made stuffed portobello mushrooms, based on a recipe I got from Marianne Esposito - I saw her make them on TV, and it was from her "five ingredient" series. I think she may be leaving out useful ingredients just to say that a recipe only has five ingredients. Anyway, I will describe my version of her recipe.

My ingredients:

3 large cloves garlic (she used none)

1/2 pound fresh spinach (she used frozen)

2 tbsp fresh thyme (Marianne's recipe on line has this ingredient, but she did not use it on the show)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (she omitted these altogether)

2 eggs (she used 3 for a recipe that I halved)

6-7 oz Fontina cheese (her half recipe would have been 1/2 cup)

2 large portobello mushrooms

olive oil

First I removed the stems from the portobello mushrooms and cut the stems into very small pieces for sauteing. (Marianne threw her stews away.) I started the filling by sauteing the garlic and mushroom stem pieces in olive oil, and then I added the spinach and cooked it down to a wilted stage and added the S&P and thyme. Then I put the spinach in a mixing bowl to cool.

Next I put the mushroom caps in the saute pan, cap side down with olive oil to saute for a couple of minutes to get the caps softer. Then I covered the pan on low heat for about three minutes more and then removed the caps.

At this point, I added the two eggs to the spinach/garlic mixture, along with about 3/4 of the cheese, which I had grated. I stuffed the caps with this mixture, put them in a 7x11 pan, added the rest of the cheese on top, covered the pan with aluminum foil and baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Then I took the foil off and baked it ten more minutes.

It was supposed to be brown on top when I took them out, but they weren't, and the filling (which was supposed to resemble a quiche) was a bit runny and had drizzled out of the caps a bit. The drizzling was okay because it was easy to pick that up and put back inside the caps.

The problem is that the filling was watery, and I felt that I should have added bread crumbs, kasha, couscous, or something to soak up the excess water. I guess I should have squeezed the water out of the spinach, but I didn't want to lose all of that flavor. BTW, they tasted great, but I would like to make them with some kind of binder in the future. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I should use and how much? Should I use fresh or dried breadcrumbs, or would something else work better?

I'm sure plenty of you have good stuffed mushroom recipes that you can refer to that might be similar. I had never made stuffed portobellos and I had never stuffed mushrooms with spinach before.

Lars

Comments (18)