SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

would you mind critiquing a recipe for me please?

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

Hello! I was thumbing through a crock pot recipe book that a friend gave me. It's a pretty awful book to be honest, many of the recipes require too many ingredients and convenience products. I found one that sounded remotely interesting (at least the title), but I'd like to have you all look at it before I waste ingredients on it! I'm going to type the recipe exactly like it is in the book. This is one of those books where different people submit recipes, so it wasn't created by a professional. It's called America's Home Cooking.

The recipe is for Coconut Orange Chicken

Ingredients:

3 pounds skinned chicken pieces

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

3 teaspoons grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon light soy sauce

1/2 cup shredded coconut for garnish

2 green onions chopped for garnish

Directions:

Grease a slow cooker. Place the chicken, salt, pepper, ginger, and orange juice in cooker; cover, and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low setting. Remove chicken to an oven-proof serving platter and cover with foil. Drain the oranges, reserving their juice. In a saucepan, heat the reserved juice with liquid from the cooker. Whisk in the brown sugar, cornstarch, and soy sauce. Boil; stir until thickened. Pour some sauce over chicken and arrange oranges around the meat. Sprinkle the coconut and green onions over top. Server remaining sauce on the side. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

So that's the recipe. The title is pretty misleading as the coconut is just garnish. There is no real cooking with it to infuse the flavors. Also, I've made things with orange juice concentrate before and they didn't turn out well. I've never heard of greasing a slow cooker before! Would it be safe to actually cook raw chicken at a low setting in the crock pot? I'd think it would be in the danger zone too long! It doesn't say what kind of chicken to or if I should cut it into small chunks or leave it in large pieces. I bought boneless skinless breasts, but at 5.25 for a pound and a half I do not want to ruin them!!!!

I bought the chicken and the ginger already, but forgot to the orange juice concentrate. The more I read the recipe, the more I think how much I'd hate to waste all those ingredients and time and energy on a flop! So, what do you think of this recipe? Would you alter it or pitch it or make it as is? Thanks so much!!

Comments (13)