SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen980

Flat cake?

ganggreen980
14 years ago

Yes, I'm 44 and finally just got around to making a non-mix cake from scratch. Hey, I needed to break in my brand new KA that DH bought me this week!

It's my 12-year-old son's birthday, so I made a scratch cake from my 80s edition BH&G cookbook. It was a very basic chocolate cake. I baked it in two 8" pans, and it looks great - just quite flat, except for one side where it's higher...on both pans, actually. Wonder if my floor isn't level? I followed the recipe to the letter.

2 cups AP flour

1-3/4 cups sugar

1 t baking powder

3/4 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1-1/3 cup water

1/2 cup shortening

1 t vanilla

2 eggs

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled.

Combine dry ingredients. Add water, shortening, and vanilla. Beat until combined. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and melted chocolate. Beat for another 2 minutes.

Is it possible I got a little, uh, carried away with my mixer and mixed it too fast too long?

I also made a chocolate butter cream frosting, adding Andes mints to the frosting and then sprinkling some on top. It may not be the prettiest cake, but I think it will still taste great. My son LOVES anything minty chocolate :-)

Any suggestions on why it may have been so flat would be appreciated. I actually had a great time making it and will be doing that again! Just need to figure out how to do it without making such as mess!

Mandie

Comments (18)