SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamplanter

Boneless Pork Chops

blueheron
15 years ago

The supermarket is having a special on boneless pork chops this week. I would love to buy some but they always turn out tough when I make them. What's the secret to cooking tender boneless pork chops and do you have any recipes to share?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

You are probably cooking the chops way too long. Pork is so lean and we have all been so ingrained with the notion of cooking your pork till it is cremated that it is usually overcooked. I do not have any recipes but try putting it in a brine and use chops that are at least 3/4" thick.
    www.americastestkitchen.com should be of some help. You will need to register but it is free.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Paddy is right on....overcooking is the main reason pork, or any lean meat is tough.
    No recipe needed, just brown them quickly on the frill or in a fry pan....and serve when the center is just barely pink.
    Tha alternatative is to cook them until very well done and then separate out the stringy mass and sauce and serve it as BBQ....but boneless loin chops are much too expensive to serve that way.
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Silly Simple Pork Chops

Q

Comments (12)
    I watched Westworld recently - it was kind of creepy. It was on TCM a couple of months ago. I do not remember any pork chops in the movie, but I of course remember the robots. I would have chosen Roman World, I think. I like pork cooked very simply with almost no added ingredients. My favorite thing to cook is a pork loin that I barely season with salt and pepper and then roast in the oven by itself until it reaches the right temperature. I do not like other flavors interefering with the flavor of the pork, and so I do not like any herbs or spices on it. I go from the extreme of very spicy food to extremely bland food, and I don't especially like the middle ground as much, it seems. Lars
    ...See More

Apricot Pork Red Pepper

Q

Comments (1)
    Wonderful winged meal!...creative and I am cure yummy! Linda C
    ...See More

Pork Chops

Q

Comments (4)
    They're good breaded and lightly fried. I made some for dinner yesterday, 2 chops tied, with stuffing between and roasted. I also brown them and put in a casserole with rice and beef stock and seasonings, and baked.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, March 3, 2012

Q

Comments (4)
    Good morning everyone! Hope you all made it through the terrible storms yesterday. Scary stuff! PUFF PASTRY TACOS (Cooks.com) 1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry shells 1 lb. ground beef 1 (1 1/4 oz) pkg. taco seasoning mix Shredded lettuce Chopped tomatoes Shredded Cheddar cheese Taco sauce Sour cream Thaw pastry shells 20 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Roll each shell to a 7 to 8 inch circle. Place circles on 2 large ungreased baking sheets and prick thoroughly with the tines of a fork. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees or until crisp and golden brown. Remove from oven and keep warm. Meanwhile brown ground beef in large skillet, add taco seasoning mix and water to cook as directed on package. To serve, top each pastry with some beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, taco sauce and sour cream.
    ...See More
  • blueheron
    Original Author
    15 years ago

K, thanks for the info.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

If you like fried food, they turn out fantastic chicken fried. I beat the heck out of them with the toothed side of a meat tenderizer and then flour, egg wash, flour and fry. Great served with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. Also good cold the next day on a sandwich.

Sometimes, I'll cube them (or cut in strips and beat to death with the meat tenderizer - mallet) and saute on high heat really quickly for asian dishes. Sorry, no recipe, I just throw in garlic, fresh ginger, hot peppers, cilantro, soy sauce, thai curry paste if I have it, maybe some cabbage, onion, grated carrot at the end, etc. Can serve over rice or noodles. You can also add chicken broth to make a soup with rice or noodles. If you want a gravy add broth then some corn starch to thicken. If you need a deeper flavor try adding some oyster sauce or more soy sauce. Don't use any salt while trying this.

They are also great on the grill, outside. With a little wood smoke they turn out wonderful. I've never had one get tough that way or fried.

Like the others said, quick cooking is the way to go. When I just do what I call pan frying, which is sauteing in a little olive oil, I do it on high heat, brown both sides, add a little water, cover and turn off, then remove from heat and let sit about 10 minutes. That way you end up with a moist chop and a little juice to drizzle over.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Well, I happen to have some "chops" that I cut off a loin simmering away right now for dinner..I do them smothered and they cook a long time..
    First I dip in seasoned flour, then brown, then pour in some broth, and turn down to low and cover..20minutes-40 mintues...then I remove them, and add the leftover flour I kept in the fridge from the "dredge", to thicken the juices/broth, and then add some milk..put the chops back in and simmer some more...let them go til everything else is ready..or the guys walk in the door...

But I do love them grilled or seared, with just a tiny hint of pink in the center...

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Okay, this is the world's easiest recipe: but be warned, it contains Cream of Mushroom soup . . . I like to use thick boneless loin chops for it.

Sprinkle chops with pepper and a little sugar. Brown well. Place in casserole.

Whisk together 1 can C/Mushroom soup with 1 c of any white or rose wine you like. Put this in the pan, cook and whisk to get all browned bits from the pan. Cover chops with gravy, Cover casserole and bake at 350 for 2 hours.

I serve the chops sliced thin sort of on the diagonal, covered with a bit of gravy, with rice. To make it pretty for guests, top with fresh sliced, sauted mushrooms, or those fancy jarred whole button mushrooms.

I recently ran across a sale on a whole boneless loin, already sliced almost through . . . bought one and made this "recipe" with 10 chops. They're in the freezer, sliced, in gravy, in servings for two . . . like money in the bank.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

We really enjoy this recipe from Gardenlad. If you chops aren't thick then reduce cooking time, maybe 15 minutes covered and just 10 minutes uncovered. Test for doneness and cook a bit more if required. As everyone else said, the main reason for tough pork chops is overcooking.

Pork Chops- Smothered Via Gardenlad
    2 Tbl flour
    1/2 Tsp pepper
    1/2 Tsp salt
    6 thick pork chops (I use boneless center cuts, myself) 1+ tbls oil
    1 large onion sliced thin
    1 Cup hot chicken broth
    1/2 Cup hot apple juice
    Preheat oven to 350.

Mix 1 tbls flour with the salt & pepper on a plate. Dredge the chops in it on both sides. Brown the chops in the oil until golden brown. Transfer to a baking dish just large enough to hold them in one layer.

In the same skillet saute the onion until soft and golden. Add the remaining flour and stir thoroughly. Add the hot liquids slowly, stirring. Cook about three minutes more, or until sauce begins to thicken.

Pour sauce over chops. Cover tightly with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes

• bessiedawg
    15 years ago

We are having Pat T's Idiot Pork Chops tonight. Simple and they always turn out tender.

IDIOT PORK CHOPS
    2 sticks butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten
    Italian bread crumbs
    6 pork chops

Mix the melted butter and the eggs being careful that the butter is not so hot it will cook the eggs. Dip your pork chops in the butter/egg mix, and then the Italian bread crumbs, and then dip it AGAIN in the butter/egg mix and Again in the Italian bread crumbs. You have to dip it in each twice as it is not as good if you only do it one time. Bake the pork chops at 350° F. for 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the chops.

Linda

• khandi
    15 years ago

I just cooked some two days ago. I thinly sliced it and marinated half in sweet & sour bbq sauce and the other half in orange ginger sauce, and then stir fried it and added more sauce to coat. Served with organic short grain brown rice cooked in chicken broth, little soy sauce, shredded carrots, and frozen baby peas added at the last minute.

Here's a stuffed pork loin recipe from chef Michael Smith.

Apple Stuffed Pork Chops

Yield: 4

Feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you donÂt like. Try substituting one ingredient for another.

2 fresh Italian sausages, chopped
    2 onions, sliced
    2 apples, chopped
    1¼ cups of apple cider
    1 Tbsp of fennel seeds
    4 slices of whole grain bread, toasted and cubed
    1 Tbsp of grainy mustard
    2 Tbsp of olive oil
    4 centre cut pork chops, 1 and one half inch thick
    Salt and pepper

1. Brown sausages in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, cover with a lid, and cook for 5 minutes, until onion has softened. Add apples, one-quarter cup of the apple juice and fennel seeds and let simmer until apples have softened. Add bread and stir until itÂs moistened and absorbed the liquid.

2. Cut a deep pocket into the side of each pork chop and fill with stuffing. Reserve any leftover stuffing.

3. Place a large skillet over high heat and add olive oil. When hot, season the chops with salt and pepper and then sear them for 3 minutes on each side. Cover the pan with a lid, turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 additional minutes. Remove chops and rest on a plate.

4. Reheat the pan and then deglaze it with the remaining cup of apple cider, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let it boil and reduce until thickened. Stir in grainy mustard. Serve over pork chops.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Diana's Cider Brined Grilled Pork Chops!
    4 cups water
    2 cups hard cider or regular apple cider
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    10 whole peppercorns
    4 bay leaves
    1/2 bunch fresh thyme
    1 onion
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
    4 center cut pork loin chops, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches thick
    To make the brine, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then remove from the heat and let cool When completely cool, transfer to a bowl or baking dish and refrigerate til cold. Add the pork chops to cold brine. Weight with a heavy plate if necessary to submerge them. Refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 48.
    Remove chops from bring and pat them dry. Grill them as you prefer or pan fry them in olive oil over medium high heat in a skillet, about 10 minutes each side.
    Source: The Best American Recipes 1999

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Here is my favorite way to prepare pork chops. They always have come out very tender and juicy. The recipe was originally posted by Beverly.

Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust Recipe
    Makes 4 servings.

INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless french bread
    1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
    1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (each about 1 inch thick)2tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    lemon wedges (optional)
    orange wedges (optional)

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, sage and lemon peel in pie dish. Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Place flour on plate; season generously with salt and pepper. Coat pork chops on both sides with flour; shake off excess. Dip chops into eggs, then coat on both sides with breadcrumb mixture.

Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet with pork to oven. Bake until pork chops are crisp on the outside and meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°F, about 20 minutes.

Transfer pork chops to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and orange wedges, if desired, and serve.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Getting back to the boneless pork chops the OP asked about, when they are on sale at the Acme I either dice them and use them in green chili, or slice them into very thin strips, dip them in a wash of corn starch and soy sauce and sauté them with fresh veggies in a very hot wok.