SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Silly Simple Pork Chops

John Liu
11 years ago

I'm not sure this is worthy of a whole thread, but I haven't seen a "pork" thread to append it to, so apologies for the bandwidth and here goes.

Take a few of the thickest boneless pork chops you can find - at least 1.5" thick, 2.0" is better. Sprinkle lightly with salt, wait 20 minutes. Heat a couple TBSP of oil and butter, and a couple whole peeled garlic cloves, in a stainless pan, on highest heat. When oil is snapping and popping, put the chops in. Don't crowd the pan. Leave the chops alone, highest heat, smoke be damned, for 4 minutes or until the "bottom" of the chop is nice and brown. Then rotate the chops to brown the "sides". Temp the chops, get them as brown as you can but Stop! when the internal temp is 85F. (Not a typo.) The chops should still feel soft and squishy like when they were raw. If they are firming up, Stop! Remove chops to stand in a bowl.

Reduce heat to medium, remove the garlic cloves, pour heavy cream or half and half into the pan (enough to be around 1/2" deep). Deglaze and mix up the fond. Add the juices that will have accumulated in the bowl holding the pork. Bring the cream mixture to a low simmer. Optionally, add a little bit of liquor - Grand Marnier, Cognac, Irish Cream, Tia Maria - to flavour. Slice the chops into 1/2" thick slices (medallions). The inside of the chop should be pretty much raw. Place the slices in the pan, in a single layer, either submerged in the cream or keep spooning it over the meat. Braise the slices in the simmering cream until done. Cooking time is not critical now, I tend to call each batch of pork slices done as soon as the meat turns semi-opaque - remember, we're training for the Zombie apocalypse here - but your preferences may ask for a bit more cooking.

There'll be a few batches to do. As you braise away, the cream will thicken and reduce to a sauce. Add a bit more cream if needed.

You will end up with thick pork slices permeated in cream sauce, with crusty brown edges. It's quite tasty.

I can't believe I just wrote a whole post about such a simple-minded way to cook pork chops, but anyway if you suffer from the dry chop blues, try this. If you suffer from under-weight, also try this. If you suffer from the reverse, as I do, then the next time, substitute stock for half of the cream.

Family is leaving in a week. Daughter going to be a camp staffer in Yosemite for the summer - separation anxiety! SWMBO and son going to take daughter to camp and then visit friends in Berkeley and my "second mother" in L.A. I'll be doing the bachelor thing for three weeks. Leaving dirty socks and sweaty bike gear everywhere, falling asleep in front of the TV. There will be no cooking here. Open can, microwave, eat. Maybe I'll get really bored and start a thread on My Bachelor Meals - or maybe I'll spare you all!

Comments (12)