SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Organizing photographs...sort of.

17 years ago

I've been an avid photographer my whole life, following in my dad's footsteps. When my kids were small I filled a number of albums, but now they're deteriorating. The bulk of my photos are in under-bed storage. A lot of good they're doing there!

Some time back I bought some photo boxes and just dropped the pictures in as I acquired them. But that hasn't been very satisfactory either. For one thing, I wasn't writing on all the photo backs to identify them. For another, flipping through a box jammed with photos isn't as much fun as turning the pages of an album, and all that handling is not good for the pix.

Sooo....I recently bought a bunch of albums at Target. Each holds 300 photos, and costs about $15-17. The quality seems good (acid-free, etc.), the pictures slide in easily, and there's a nice space to write something beside each one. I've been keeping one on an end table, along with a showbox full of pictures, and just putting them in as I pick them up. I heard someone say once, "Who would want a whole mixture of years in one photo album?" Well, me. I can't imagine attempting to put all my photos in some kind of order, be it chronological or other category. Plus I think it's rather fun to open up an album and be surprised as you go along, rather than glaze over from viewing 300 photos of the same three toddlers.

When I need a break from whatever I'm working on, I sit down and add to an album. It's relaxing (and productive).

Susan

Comments (5)