SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limarchar

What hardwood to complement old pine floors

limarchar
18 years ago

I have a 1792 house with some random width pine floors, and other floors I guess stained to match them, a warm yellowish, and in some places reddish, color. I'm not sure what these are, exactly. All the floors are older--with some dating from the 1970's in an extension.

We are now remodelling our kitchen, in what is also an extension to the house, which now has vinyl and an eating area in maple. We are planning on hardwood for this area, but have budgetary concerns because we are spending so much on kitchen already! So I want to pick something that flows with the rest of the house, but I can't do pine or antiqued wood due to budgetary concerns, and my husband doesn't want anything too much like the rest of the house. Plus, it can't be the same reddish/yellowish warm color, because our cabinets are close to that color, and we don't want the cabinets and floors to be the same!

So, what should we do? I'm leaning against oak, would like wide plank, and don't want them SHINY at all. We are looking at a wild pecan, Hartco wild pecan 5 inch plank, but I'm worried it's too light. There is variation in the planks, but some of it is as light as the natural maple floors we now have that I despise. Also, it has a smoothness to it--I worry it's too modern. On the other hand, it has variation and subtle knotting, and is very wide and not too shiny (although not entirely matte). What do you think?

Any of you work on this issue--matching floors in such an old home? What did you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Pecan floor

Comments (8)