SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

What food makes you think of Fall?

caflowerluver
16 years ago

Besides the obvious like Turkey or Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie. It would also be great if you could share the recipe. Do you have something a little out of the ordinary? A family favorite that you only make then?

DH and I are not big fans of Persimmons and give most of them away, but I will make this pudding at least once in the Fall.

Persimmon Buttermilk Pudding

3/4 cup very ripe persimmon pulp (about 2)

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup sour cream

3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs well beaten

3 Tbsps. Milted butter, divided

3/4 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 tsps. sugar, for topping

In a large bowl, puree persimmon pulp with electric beaters. Add Buttermilk and beat until smooth. Stir in sugar and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Mix in the beaten eggs.

In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using wire whisk, gently stir the flour mixture into the persimmon mixture. Pour the batter into a deep 1 or 1 -1/2 quart greased casserole or soufflé dish. Batter should not fill more than 3/4 of the dish. Bake in 400-degree oven until lightly browned and set (but still jiggly), about 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and brush the top with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter then sprinkle with the sugar. Pudding may be served immediately or cooled.

The pudding will sink slightly upon cooling. Serve with whipped cream (seasoned with vanilla), or ice cream.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (45)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Pork roast...with warm fresh applesauce, ham and bean soup with cornbread....and back before BT and round-up ready corn I could get field corn freshly ground, like for chicken feed....blow off the red bits of cob and use that for corn bread....heaven on earth!
    Roasted squash, onions and apples.
    I remember a few years back when everything you would go to in October, the refreshments were hot spiced cider and doughnuts...
    I am going to a luncheon tomorrow and I will bet there will be hot mulled cider!
    Apple pie, apple crisp, apple cake with "cake gravy" apple tart with a crumb/nut topping, things served with sorghum like pancakes and corn bread....all remind me that Christmas is coming, and the snow will soon fly!
    Linda C

• User
    16 years ago

Apples, cranberries, pumpkin ... :)

• Related Discussions

What do you think? Potential fall plants.

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, Julianna. You are talking about container gardening , right? You might be able to grow some vine jasmine.
    ...See More

What do you think of this food saver?

Q

Comments (1)
    The brand is fine - I have 2 of them tho not this model - and likely this model, though not their best by far, is okay too. If you can afford one of the better models then go for it. Most all models have canister adaptability. The canisters are what I'll call moderately successful depending on what you store in them. They don't hold their seal indefinitely so aren't for long term storage and they aren't cheap either. We find there are much easier and better methods of long term dry storage. I linked just some of the many previous discusions here on vacuum sealers for your review. Be sure to note the alternate sources for rolls and bags given in several of them. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Foodsaver discussions
    ...See More

what do you guys think of a fall round robin

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks so much for your report, Patrick! That's just what I needed to hear. I've been eyeing those anulatas for a while now, wondering if they were worth acquiring, and feeling curious because she obviously likes the plant enough to keep more than one specimen. Now I have my answer and I'll pursue them post-haste! ^_~ I've been very interested in that sp. IV for quite some time now, opening the window and closing it again, hovering in indecision. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on sale. I love the leaves and just can't decide whether I ought to give up precious precious rigida/aff. rigida space for a different large leaf. ^_~ I thought it was so rockin that Joni acquired that set of plants (sp. IV among them) that TG only sells as a bundle of 10, because now we all have the benefit of getting to pick and choose our favorites amongst them. Ohh sweet-o!
    ...See More

Re-Heating food what do you think of this idea???

Q

Comments (7)
    I have kept soup "burn your mouth hot" for easily 4 hours...in a le Cruset dutch oven, in a styrofoam cooler ( the kind that frozen steaks came in)...newspaper on the bottom of the container so the hot pot wouldn't melt through, then a dish towel over the newspaper, because it somehow seemed un appetizing next to the food, then the pot and a folded towel on top. There was really no space in my coolers for the Dutch oven, paper insulating and towels for hot bricks. Try it out and see....get some water boiling in your heavy pot, then pack it as I have described, wait a couple of hours or more and open and see how hot it is. If it's too cool....try it again with added hot bricks or whatever.
    ...See More
  • eandhl
    16 years ago

Along with the above mentioned foods I would add soups.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

In the fall I get hungry for both pork and beef roasts, apple anything, chili, pasties, country fried pork steak, Brussels Sprouts, squash, cabbage rolls, pumpkin bread and pie, and I really get in the mood to bake.....breads, cookies, pies...whatever.

I always get anxious for warm weather and what I call summer foods. Then just as the leaves start to turn on the trees, I get hungry for the meat and potatoes...

Nancy

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Lindac and the others beat me to it.
    SO: I'll say Desserts and cakes. Apple upside down cake.
    Biscotti, Pizzelles, Cinnamon and Raisen bread.

Roasted Chestnuts. Stroffoli. Ginger Snaps,
    And Chicken Wedding Soup
    LOU

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Clare, what do Persimmons taste like? They had some beauties at my market last week and I thought about buying some but passed them over.

Michelle

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Hearty soups, homemade bread, any thing from the oven, and fresh apple anything. This weekend I made the remainder of the peaches into peach crisp, it's cooling down fast already.

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Octoberfest and State Fair food for sure! Then it would have to be pot roast, soups, stews, pot/shepard pies, and it is finally cool enough to do some major baking...one of my favorite things to do.

I can't think of any recipes that are out of the ordinary tonight.

David

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Heavier foods... like Oxtail Stew and Beef Barley Soup; Roasted Chicken and Roast Beef; Baked Squash and Mac & Cheese..... all foods that heat up the house and make it smell good with the cooking.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I saw many of my favorites on the lists already, but here goes... beef stew, herbed pot roast, baked squash glazed with brown sugar, apple pie, fresh baked bread, chicken fricassee, chicken pot pie, meatloaf, pork roast with red cabbage and dumplings, baked ham with sweet potato casserole (save the bone and a hunk of ham for senate bean soup and yellow split pea soup), spiced cider and hot chocolate with fresh baked cookies. Yum! Too bad it was 91 degrees in the shade today!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msafirstein - The taste is hard to describe. When they are very ripe, they are super sweet with no acid, and have a tropical flavor to them. The texture is almost, I hate to say it, slimy. I think they are an acquired taste.

My tree is a Hachiya type which is very, and I mean very, astringent until they are super ripe. It will make your mouth pucker if you eat one that isn't ripe. They will be very mushy when ripe. Sometimes it helps to leave them on the tree till we get really low temperatures. It speeds up ripening or increases the sugar.

I am not wild about eating them raw but do like to cook with them. Any recipe that uses bananas or pumpkin, you can substitute persimmons except maybe for pumpkin pie. BTW, the pudding recipe I listed is very good.

I found this explanation on another website. "When buying Hachiyas pick fruit whose hue is as shockingly orange as you can find. Black or brown spots are ok. Place them stem side down on a sunny or warm window sill until they are completely translucent, sagging and attracting fruit flies. Prep on a large cutting board, scraping with a spoon, or other dull object, the flesh away from delicate skin. Puree this pulpy mess in a blender briefly. Store in glass or non-reactive material and lay plastic wrap or parchment paper directly on the surface to minimize oxidation."

More information can be found on wikipedia persimmons.

Hope that helps.
    Clare

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Fresh MacIntosh apples - because they don't keep well.
    Fresh apple juice/cider.
    Apple cranberry crisp.

Pumpkin anything.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Fall is Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing!!

Also Indian Pudding but this really is better when it's 20 below zero outside.

Michelle

• diana55
    16 years ago

A GOOD STEW !!!! DIANA55

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Lentil stew, beef stew, meatloaf, roast chicken, casseroles. It's still warm and humid here and we don't really ever have a Fall season, but at the end of the summer we may have some heavy rain which makes the house feel cosy inside and brings on thoughts of delicious slow cooking pots simmering on the stove.

SharonCb

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Roast turkey with all the trimmings, pumpkind bread pudding, post roast, oxtail stew, creamy soups,goulash, saurebraten with knodel(dumpling).

Hopefully it will cool down here soon, Monday was tropical and steamy-89 degrees. I am actually tired of cooking on the grill. I will regret those words by January though.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Definitely apples. I have many fond memories of apples from my childhood: September climbing a neighbor's apple tree and picking apples after school; walking in an apple orchard to think, all by myself; storing bushels of apples in a backroom at my house (I loved that room, full of cool "junk." I am still an antique and junque lover.)

I also think of potato soup with ham chunks and lots of other great soups, and of course pumpkin pie and turkey.
    Also stuffed squash.
    (Can you tell this is my favorite time of year?)
    Sherry

• lackboys3
    16 years ago

Just the smell of pumpkin pie spice makes me long for cooler weather. We won't have any of that here in Central Florida for at least another month or so. Anything with cranberries, pumpkin, sweet potatoes or apples, with plenty of warm spices, tends to cheer me up. I also like the smell of a bean soup simmering on the stove. I'm with you Sherry, this is my favorite time of year as well, and any cool down in weather here is cause for celebration:-), as is the end of hurricane season.

Does anyone know when the fresh cranberries start to appear in stores?
    DONNA

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

French Onion Soup..Most soups actually..

Pot roasts.. Stews...Apple Pies and Crumbles..Thanksgiving Turkey:)

• mimsic
    16 years ago

I make a lamb stew (actually lamb meatballs)and roast it in a large pumpkin. I don't exactly have a recipe but use a lot of 'C' spices: Cardomon, Cumin, Corriander, Cinnamon and Rosemary, thyme or Zatar (middle east thyme-like herb). I have to look for my notes from last year, and see what exactly went into that dish. We just finished remodeling the kithchen and there are a lot of things I still can't find that were put away while the work was going on. I also love all things 'squash' - butternut, acorn, and all those odd looking ones I never remember the names of. I make a curried cauliflower/butternut squash soup when the chill is in the air. Oh, and did someone say, 'cider and doughnuts'? YES!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Yes to all the above....well, except maybe the persimmons. I have a Vietnamese neighbor that has a small tree just loaded with them. Wonder how they use them?

This weekend I made pork ribs with saurkraut and an apple crisp. Last night I made chili - new recipe. But it's supposed to get up to 91F here today......hmmmm....not Fall yet, I guess.
    Teresa

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

Cinnamon
    Allspice
    Nutmeg
    Cloves

Hearty stews and braising
    Butternut squash
    The smell of burning leaves and lit fireplaces
    Triangle-eyed faces peering from dark doorsteps
    Amber, burgundy, bittersweet
    Moaning trees and giggling children
    Boots, turtleneck sweaters, the smell of my suede jacket
    Candy corn, latex masks, maple syrup
    Dried apples and hay bales

I could go on and on....sigh. :-)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Funny, Michelle! Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is for Easter and spring in my mind!
    But Indian pudding! I haven't made that in years....I need to fine an excuse to make some!
    I have some leftover ham and bean soup in the refrig....
    It was in the 80's yesterday, but I had that ham bone....and it seemed like a good idea....and sure tasted good!
    Linda C

• lucyny
    16 years ago

âÂÂDoes anyone know when the fresh cranberries start to appear in stores?âÂÂ

Saw them this morning in my local supermarket here in NY

Fall foods/all the above, favorite is "Split Pea Soup w/Ham"

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Lucy, I believe I saw fresh cranberries a week or 2 ago.

Linda, I put apples in my Carrot Cake so it is for Fall in my family...LOL!

I finally did find my Indian Pudding recipe which was packed away last year. But it takes so long to bake that it really is better if it is sub zero outside as it warms the house and smells so good!

Indian Pudding MY RECIPE

1 c. Yellow Cornmeal
    1/2 c. molasses
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/4 c. butter, softened
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    6 c. hot milk

Mix cornmeal, molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking soda, eggs and spices.

Add 3 cups hot milk.

Place in 2 qt dish, cover and bake at 400 degrees until all comes to a boil.

Stir in remaining hot milk and bake covered at 275 degrees 4-6 hours.

Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.

Michelle

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

Definitely comfort foods. Like David, I don't have any special recipes to share. Just the stuff I grew up with. Meatloaf, roasts, chili, boiled dinner, chicken, mashed potatoes and pan fried pork chops.

I love summer and really appreciate the homegrown produce, but the cooler weather, with jeans and flannel shirts and good food simmering on the stove...well that is pretty special too.

Duane

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Yeah, what you all said! Especially soups. Stuff in the crockpot!
    We had our first frost on Sunday morning. Talk about a defining moment to end summer! First fire in our woodstove Sunday evening. Not that it was that cold, but it sure set the tone for fall.
    It's like a big sigh after the frenzy of canning, gardening, staying up late because it's light outside.
    Time to relax.

Deanna

• granjan
    16 years ago

Fuyu persimmons don't taste like the other type. They are eaten at the firm, but not rock hard stage. They are crisp and delicious and a great adition to salads in the fall, especially with toasted pecans and goat cheese!

Fuyus are rounder and smaller than the astringiant persimmons. They don't get a translucent look to their skin. It's important you know what type you are buying. ASK!

Regular persimmons make a great instant sorbet. Freeze when at perfect stage of ripeness.

• kframe19
    16 years ago

Pork chops with apple cider glaze

Homemade chili

Beef stew!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Sharon mentioned Lentil Stew. I don't know if it is the same but
    I thought of Lentil Soup w pieces of ham, before I saw her thread.
    How about Apple Pie Ala Mode.
    LOU

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Down here it's chili. When the first good cool front comes through you won't be able to find a single can of kidney beans in this town. I don't know why they put them in their chili but they do.
    James

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Jim, hope you are doing well, or at least well enough.

Fall to me is pork, squash, apples and cabbage. Soups and stews remind me more of winter.

Here is a herb crusted pork rib roast recipe that epitomizes Fall to me. It is my all time favourite pork recipe.

Pork With Herb Crust

NOTE: I usually only make 1 roast and don't always make the sauce. Serve with Garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes and green beans. Have your butcher "French" the bones on the roast for a great presentation. Also ask him to remove the chine bone for easy carving into "chops". Guaranteed to impress.

2 (3- to 4-pound) racks of pork (or 1 larger)
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 Tsp salt
    7 garlic cloves minced
    1/3 Cup fresh basil Chopped
    1/3 Cup fresh thyme Chopped
    1/3 Cup fresh parsley Chopped
    2 Tbl pepper Coarsely Ground
    1 1/4 Cup butter (or margarine) cut up
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 Can chicken broth
    1 Tbl tomato paste
    2 Tbl fresh sage chopped
    1/4 Tsp pepper

Rub pork with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Stir together garlic and next 4 ingredients; press onto pork. Place pork on a rack in a lightly greased broiler pan; cover bone tips with aluminum foil to prevent burning.Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 150 max, I prefer 140-145 !
    Transfer pork to a serving tray.Cover and let rest while making sauce (even if you don't make the sauce let the pork rest for at least 10 minutes to redistribute juices and let the internal temp climb a bit more) Pour pan drippings into a skillet.Add butter to drippings; cook over medium heat until butter melts.
    Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until caramel colored. Gradually whisk in broth and next 3 ingredients; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.Serve with 'pork. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 8 servings.~

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Choucroute Garni. My mother used to make it - she was a weird Japanese American Nisei, could make anything well, and did, EXCEPT Japanese food! Her Menudo was to die for, another great cold weather dish.

Of course, when you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, it can be so cold people turn the furnaces on in mid-June, then the next week on comes the air conditioner. Just last week it was chili and cornbread weather, but this week it's green salads and barbecue weather. Oh well, you never get bored around here........

• diana55
    16 years ago

Stew & Baking Powder Biscuits. Diana55

• caliloo
    16 years ago

A lot of what reminds me has laready been mentioned, cider (most apple "stuff" actually), roasts, squash, etc.

Here is one that is only made in the fall at my house and must be consumed while watching football (or at least Sportscenter). Chex Mix. Several years ago I made Chex Mix for the first football weekend and DH adn the kids clamoured for it every weekend after that. by Christmas time we were all sick of it and I didn't make it again until the following year, 1st week of football. Now it is tradition to only have it during the fall.

Another is bourbon. I love the stuff, but only if there is a chill in the air. It is going to be 90+ today, definitely not bourbon weather even though the calendar says it should be.

Alexa

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

Duane,

I've heard of boiled dinner before, but don't know what it is. Is it a meat dish like braising?

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I think Duane is probably referring to the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions type of boiled dinner. It is a good fall dish.

I grew up in the area where Duane lives and so we probably speak the same language.... :P

Nancy

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Pasties are a favorite fall food here, along with anything that has apples. I also think of potatoes, winter squashes and pumpkins.

This is my current favorite pasty recipe, although I sub some butter for half of the Crisco. I was taught that carrots NEVER go in a pasty, and they have to have rutabaga, but some people prefer the sweeter carrots. I think it's which ever you like, and I don't use ground beef, always the diced or minced steak. Don't use really lean beef or the pasty is dry. Dad covers his with gravy, I like mine plain.

Pasty Recipe (This recipe makes four pasties, multiply accordingly)
    The Crust
    2 cup flour
    2/3 cup Crisco
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/2 cup Cold Water

Cut Shortening into Flour and Salt, add Water. Mix and Knead until well blended. (yes, contrary to pie crust, you Knead) Form into 4 balls and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Roll in to 8 inch circle. Use plenty of flour while rolling out.

The Filling
    3/4 pound of ground chuck or 1/2 inch cubes of steak.
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup of grated rutabaga (or carrots)
    1/2 cup grated (edible) beef suet (optional)
    (the suet is used with the lean steak, and can be traded off to the fat content of the ground beef)
    3 cups of diced potatos
    1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoon dried Parsley or 1/3 cup fresh
    Mix the filling together in a large bowl. Roll out the dough, and brush the edges with milk. Put 1 cup of filling onto one side of each crust and fold over. Seal the edge by pressing with a fork. Put on cookie sheet, cut 1 slit (1/2 inch) in each for steam and brush top with milk.

Bake in 400F oven on Bottom Shelf for 25 minutes, then move to middle shelf for 20 minutes.

Annie

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

New England Boiled Dinner - now that brings back memories. I usually only do it once a year now, March 17th with Corned Beef.
    Clare

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Gosh, I have not had a Pasty since I left MI so long ago. There was a pasty shop right across the street from my house and they used to bake the rutabagas at about 3:00 am and you could smell them all over the neighborhood.

I prefer parsnips in my Pasty but will take one just about any way! I love 'em.

Michelle

• loagiehoagie
    16 years ago

Nancy wrote: "I think Duane is probably referring to the corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions type of boiled dinner. It is a good fall dish.
    I grew up in the area where Duane lives and so we probably speak the same language.... :P"

Yep...except my mom always made it with a ham bone instead of corned beef. She tried corn beef one time...stunk up the house..and never made it again that I know of. She loved deli corned beef sandwiches...but that's another topic.

I remember it being mostly about the veggies, the cabbage, 'taters, carrots and onions. I could cry just thinking about the happy smells and memories coming out of that little kitchen.

Duane

• dreamhouse1
    16 years ago

I've never heard of Indian pudding or seen any kind of similar recipe! How does it come out? Is it cakey, bready, custardy? It sounds very interesting. Is it always a dessert or can it accompany savory foods? Love finding new recipes for foods I've never heard of! Is this a 'northern' thing? I've lived in Texas (maybe under a rock) all my life and have never heard of it.

• daria
    16 years ago

Indian Pudding is a New England thing. It's like cornmeal mush, with molasses and spices. It has that kind of "mush" texture, like Cream of Wheat. At least the ones I've had do, anyway.

• caliloo
    16 years ago

"Yep...except my mom always made it with a ham bone instead of corned beef."

Yikes! I love NE boiled Dinner, but it has to be corned beef. I can't even imagine what ham would be like in that.

Mine always has Corned Beef, Onions studded with cloves, parsnips, carrots, cabbage, potatoes and a turnip. Oh yea, and make the beets on the side for red flannel hash the next day.

Another one I make once a year (or so) is creamed salt cod or finnan haddie or one of those preserved fish in a ton of cream with potatoes on the side white dinners. Talk about comfort food!

And stuffing/dressing. I never make stuffing or dressing unless it is going with some sort of roast poultry... and that usually happens in the fall too....

I think I will make NE BOiled Dinner tomorrow - I have a craving now!

Alexa

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just got the book, Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody. The book has lots of yummy recipes. In it they had a Indian Pudding recipe to make in a slow cooker so you don't have to watch it on the stove for hours. I am going to try it once the cool weather is here to stay. My Mom use to make it for my Dad, who loved it especially with maple syrup poured over it.
    Clare

Indian Pudding
    Yield: 6/8 servings
    Cooking time: 9 hours on low.
    Slow cooker size: 4 quart

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    4 cups whole milk
    1/4 cup regular (not blackstrap) molasses
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    pinch of baking soda
    2 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
    1 extra large egg, lightly beaten

Place the cornmeal in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Pour in 2 cups of the milk; whisk constantly as you pour, so that the cornmeal does not form lumps. Whisk in the molasses, sugar, salt, baking soda, butter, and egg. Set the saucepan over medium high heat and cook the mixture, whisking constantly and making sure to reach into the corners of the pan until small bubbles start to form on the surface and the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining 2 cups of milk, whisking vigorously to dissolve any lumps.

Pour the mixture into the insert of the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 hours, or until the outer edges and top have darkened and the middle is almost set. Turn off the slow cooker and let the pudding cool slightly, uncovered. Serve with vamilla ice cream.