SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigi_f

Now for MY art supplies

gigi-f
16 years ago

One of my problems is that I do so many different kinds of art/sewing/creating. The main one is, I make dolls - not just the fabric bodies (not porcelain), but the clothing, the jewelry, the hats, shoes, stands, the whole bit. So there's a bit about 20 different techniques in each piece. And so, I have quite a selection of supplies. I have whittled them down and I'm sure I'll have more to go as I continue, but there's quite a bit left that I REFUSE to dispose of, because I use it. I have come up with a few suggestions, and hope someone here can come up more:

I have tried different things for the patterns and various books - the books are on a shelf, that's ok. But the patterns don't seem to fit anywhere.

I can't figure out where to put an unfinished piece while I'm waiting for something to dry, or something to be done.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Gigi

Some I have worked on:

I have sorted beads, doll hair, and small embellishments by color, each type in a tiny plastic bag, each color in a clear show box, boxes stacked on a shelf.

I have really small things (teeth, eyes, eyelashes, small notions etc) in one of those tool-sorting drawer things.

I have the paints and various sprays, fabric treatments, etc on spice racks behind the door.

I have papers, stamps, punches, decorative scissors and so on (also used for scrap booking) on a separate shelving unit.

I used to work for a furniture store, so I have hundreds of tiny hangers for displaying fabric samples (really great - anyone want some?) and most of the fabrics are hanging in the closet.

Clay in a clear shoe box. Molds in a plastic three-drawer rolling dresser-type thing (clay for little parts like shoes, molds for various things)

Yarn, wigs, wood pieces for making stands, and small accessories (props) I am still trying to sort, right now they're all in a big box.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!