SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trekaren

Organizing at work (sorry - long)

trekaren
18 years ago

I'm nearly one year into this job, and I love the teams and love what I do. But I still work way too many hours.

Life was crazy before I left for vacation the first week of August. While sitting on the beach, I resolved to return mentally refreshed, and to take charge of my job, instead of letting it take charge of me!

Ok, so this is the very super busy time for us, as all the project managers try to cram their pet projects in before year-end freeze. I am buried with emails and requests from people. Here are some things I have done so far in August to try and take charge.

I am bad about not following up on emails or voice mails simply because I get too bogged down and busy. So I started using Outlook's Task List. It is now the first thing I open each morning. The minute someone calls or I see that I need to take action on something, I add a task to the Task List. It is SO much better than jotting things down on little yellow sticky notes or printint out piles of emails! And it feels so good to mark things complete! I find it works far better than flagging emails with the followup flag.

The other thing I did was CLEAN OFF MY DESK! And that has done wonders! I feel great, I'm getting out of here to take breaks more often, and oh did I say how great I feel about it!

I have heard about the good luck, or good feng shui or whatever, about bamboo. DD and I were at the store the other day when she saw a bamboo that was in the lovliest pottery vase, that looks almost like a science fiction painting. She just knew I'd love it so she made me buy it. So now I have a bamboo plant my daughter has christened Bambi! Not only is it nice to see pretty greenery and lovely pottery, but I think of my daughter every time I see it!

Finally, I need something concrete to do in the evenings for ME and no one else. I was going to join back to the choir but that is still up in the air for a number of reasons. So now I am focusing on the house. We finally had painters in and got all the remaining rooms painted. That felt so good (like moving into a brand new house) that I have been motivated to tackle reservoirs of outstanding jobs. Right now, I spend spare time at night sorting thru and organizing photos instead of vegging in front of the TV. And it just feels good to be able to be doing something constructive with my after-work hours. I am also going to try and cook more! I keep watching Rachel Ray on the weekends to get great ideas. Hoping I'll turn into her one day LOL but so far, it hasn't happened! :-)

Anyone else have any tips to add?

Comments (8)