SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_young

Jenn-Air gas range problems - sorry, very long

Elaine Young
16 years ago

Has anyone here had bad experience w/Jenn-Air gas ranges? My slide-in is just a year old and already has stopped working. The customer service through Jenn-Air is the worst I've ever experienced.

The touch pad just stopped working so the oven won't work. The inner ring on the dual ring burner doesn't work correctly. One of the knobs is falling apart. When pre-heating, there is a bad gas smell for a couple of minutes - they've already come once for that and it still happens. The clock has not worked properly since almost the beginning.

So I called about the touch pad and other problems. I called my extended warranty plan (through Maytag) which appeared to have begun from the date of delivery. Was told no, first year is w/Jenn-Air, call them.

Called them, was told my first year had ended, now only parts, no labor, is covered. They had date of purchase. Extended warranty had date of delivery. Told this to Jenn-Air, they said they'd change date, no problem.

Repair tech comes, says he has to order new touchpad control, fixes burner ring (but it still doesn't work right) and that knob looks fine to him (even though it is separating). Says he'll order part and when it comes they will have to move range out from wall and we will have to sign a WAIVER for any damage they cause to my 1-year old $3,000 wood floor. Or we could move it ourselves!!

I call A&E (the repair service contracted by Jenn-Air) and complain about all this, say I don't want same tech when part comes in and what is up w/the WAIVER for damage when they move range. She checks w/manager who says, no the tech has to move and if damage occurs, they are responsible.

I am told to call when part comes in for installation. Part comes, I call, then I double check that labor is indeed covered by warranty - they say no, I am out of first year. I said Jenn-Air fixed this, they say, no the work order says out of warranty and to call Jenn-Air about it. They also tell me we have to MOVE the range ourselves or sign a WAIVER for damage caused if they move it.

I call my appliance shop from whom I purchased it and asked for their help. They are a small, local, long-time business i've purchased from for many years. They said they'll try to fix the problem about the warranty date and look into the waiver issue.

By today, the day the A&E tech was supposed to come, I have had several more phone calls with A&E, the appliance shop and Jenn-Air and NONE OF MY PROBLEMS ARE FIXED. The appliance shop is having the extended warranty start date changed to the purchase date and they told me to cancel my appointment with A&E and wait a day for date change to go in to effect w/Maytag extended warranty, then make an appointment with them.

I worry I will be charged by A&E for their first visit, and that Maytag extended warranty will also give me the same problem with a WAIVER for damage when I call them for a repair!

I have not encountered ONE person through any of this who has been competent, capable, intelligent or courteous. I have spent $1,700 plus tax and delivery on a range that doesn't work and I can't get repaired properly when it is barely one year old. It is 11 days since i first called about the problem and I still don't have a working range.

I don't know what to do or what the outcome will be but I do know that I will never purchase an appliance made by Jenn-Air (or any of their parent companies) ever again.

Any advice on how to proceed from here?

Comment (1)