SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Finally got (2/3) rods up in LR!

2ajsmama
14 years ago

We put the rods and 2 panels up last night, now I'm thinking I really want to hide the ugly brackets above the TV. So, hang panels on either side of each window (slightly larger dark table going in b/t once I stain it - this one is 43" and new one is 46"). The TV will be mounted on the wall a little higher than it is now (sitting on the table). Maybe hang a few small B&W pictures over the TV too.

Here's what it looks like with only 1 panel per window - not quite as I had pictured.

sketch

{{!gwi}}

That first pic was taken from corner of room - only way I could get both windows in. Here are pics sitting on couch

Here is a pic of the panels slid over to center.

If I put 2 panels on each window, I worry that 1) they'll be too close to TV and 2) I only have 2 panels left to hang on the double window on the other wall. Will that look funny? I plan on hanging them a foot to the outside of the large (81") window, there will be no hiding the bracket(s) and the joints in the rods in the center of that window.

Or...I could hang a single panel to the outside as in the first set of pics, and put a valance going the whole width of the window. I have 4 valances, they would hang pretty flat, not gathered on rod, since I have now placed these rods 54" bracket to bracket and the valance is 55" wide. Sorry no pics of that idea since I need DH here to help take down rods with panels, and we'd have to put a flat rod tucked under/inside the decorative rod to put the panel on. But something like this

Comments (112)

• loribee
    14 years ago

Do you have a Big Lots or Christmas Tree Shop for curtain rods?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CTS is a ways away, but Big Lots is right next to GW. Job Lot never seems to have chunky rods, only skinny. I linked to some JCP above that may work.

Here are pics of the striped fabric. DD has the stomach bug so I've been up all night and may be interrupted now. But I hung it with rings - 60" wide still isn't draping well (it's not as supple as silk - maybe I should try washing it?). The colors seem to work even though the green isn't the exact color of my walls.

with leather ottoman (ignore rods and junk on the floor)

with my $1 votive (I have 2) from GW

With end table (and packages of clip rings, holdbacks shoved under!)

with throw pillows

I forgot to take a pic with the area rug but the green in the rug is a little more grayed, the beiges are almost exact.

Hanging with clips

They're not gathering well - is 60" width not enough? Maybe just let it hang straight (back to the single panel on each window, but at least it's got more width) rather than trying to tie back? Or do I need 2 panels (would be almost 120" wide on 41" window), in which case I need more fabric? I'm not going to try to cut these to 30" and make a 90" panel.

I take back what I said about liking the JCP panels better - while I'm not sure the stripes go with the end table A&C style, I think they look much nicer than the print when viewed from the foyer:

What do you think (those of you who are still with me LOL)?

• Related Discussions

LR Follow-up Fabric found for furniture - need curtain help

Q

Comments (2)
    I love all your choices. It will be a beautiful room! Love your front door too. I saw your other post about your new chandelier. It will all go together perfectly. I think I would do a cream linen drape the color similar to the chair fabric. I'd do a dark rod and use some dark furniture pieces in the room to balance the lightness. Have you ever seen the LR in the movie "Something's Gotta Give"? They used the beautiful light blues and creams. Just love that room.
    ...See More

Dining Room update: 2/3 drapes up....

Q

Comments (31)
    JanniferPA, go for it! My MIL bought me a sewing a machine for my birthday a couple of years ago, specifically so that I could sew curtains. I had literally zero experience with sewing before that. She showed me how to use my machine to do a straight stitch, which took about 5 minutes to learn. That's all I needed. I simply take a bolt of fabric and fold over and sew in the the unfinished edges all around. I have once lined the curtains, but generally skip it bc all the curtains in our house are dummy panels that aren't meant to really be functional. I have roller shades in most of the windows. I don't like the look of a fully closed curtained window. Sometimes, I just leave an opening at the top to let a pole slip through. With these I sewed on a pleater tape at the top and attached curtain hooks and rings. It was super easy. We have a 12 foot window in our great room that I made curtains for by buying PB windows and adding a contrasting fabric on the bottom to lengthen them. My projects are by no means professional looking, but I think that to me and 99% of the population they look great. Plus, I think they are more interesting and cheaper than most of what I could find out there to purchase. Anyway, good luck!
    ...See More

I finally got that Japanese Maple...

Q

Comments (36)
    Magpie, thank you for the additional pics! Just love all that transitional colour! So Grateful for all your tips and experience...and suggestion re the appropriate forum. I will certainly do that! H. 'Praying Hands' is exceptional - so healthy. I have a new appreciation for it since I can see it up close, rather than in photos. Last year I was saying how it does nothing for me, that I was in no hurry to acquire it, but acquire it I would eventually as I am collecting all HOTYs. BKay, they were all the same - all tall, so dark green, so commanding of attention....I actually took a double-take! It's growing on me :-). Magpie, I have no experience with the PH hosta's mature size but .... another customer saw mine at the nursery and was astounded by the size. She commented she's been growing one for 3 years already and "it is nowhere near that size"! I usually do the research on new hostas after I bring them home....to familiarize myself...its origin, leaf size, vein count etc.. I have some homework to do. I appreciate the interest in this thread and the great advice you so willingly offered based on your own experience. It helps tremendously! Thank you all!!!
    ...See More

Finally got Ronde de Bordeaux fig tree!

Q

Comments (7)
    After posting this, I went back to Threefold farms website to see what they had for fig trees cleft in there inventory. I realized then that that they stopped selling fig trees as of June due to increasingly warm temperatures. I checked to see if they would possibly resume shipping in the fall when temps cooled down but I didn't see any info regarding that. I sincerely apologize for not stating this above, but I honestly didn't realize this at the time I posted this, if anyone is interested in order I though, I would contact them by phone. It may still be possible to order fig trees this year. I also forgot to mention that they also sell pomegranate trees. Andrew
    ...See More
  • hamsundm
    14 years ago

I am no expert in WT at all so I've been watching this thread for with interest, but I had to chime in at this point and say that I love the striped fabric. I think it adds color and interest - very pretty fabric!

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

I know you had been planning a long time to use the first fabric but I think the striped fabric is perfect. They really compliment the walls, pillows, and other furniture. I still think you need a beefier rod. Such luck!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, if I need 2 panels per window then I still need to find 3 (or 4 since the one I draped over the furniture has flaws, haven't checked the other 3) more. If I can't find them, would something like this top treatment work with the romans? I'm not fond of the horizontal stripes, but I would only need 4 lengths for this.

These were custom made, but Lindsay figured out how to make them, and I don't know if it's her floral fabric or the way they fall, but I like hers better. I think I could make these (once I find the extra glue sticks for my glue gun LOL!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Living with Lindsay - custom toppers

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

The striped panels are a huge improvement! The fabric hangs and drapes much more nicely than the other panels. The stripe looks very familiar to me. Where did you get them?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have no idea where they came from originally - I got them at Ocean State Job Lot (same place I got the silk pillows - the microfiber pillows are from Big Lots).

Ugh, I took the snagged panel and folded it, clipped it, pinned it and it looks *nothing* like Lindsay's topper. Maybe it's b/c I left the cut edges at the bottom (figured it would be easier to handle with the fold at the top since I didn't take the rod down, just unclipped the length I had hanging this AM). Maybe it's b/c the length is a little more than 2.5 times my window width. Maybe the fabric's too stiff (it was really hard to get the pin through 6 thicknesses of it!). So, ignoring the horrible fluff job, provided I can't find any more of this fabric, and I can find someone to make me the "Lindsay toppers" (maybe I can try a sample one since I have this spare piece), would a topper over the existing romans work in this room? Or is the tail going to be too close to the TV? Do the horizontal stripes work?

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

She has tab top so that the material goes straight across the top ..Lets see a pic. with the valance pulled straight along the rod...

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

Go with the stripes ones.

I went to JCPenny and looked at the drapes in "the look." The tabs on these drapes are 2" wide and there is a 6" space between the tabs. Using those figures, a 42" wide curtain will have 6 tabs. (2-6-2-6-2-6-2-6-2-6-2-6-2) When you put these drapes on a curtain rod and pull them to the side, like in the inspiration picture, the tabs will have a tendency to slide to the pulled back side, so they would only cover about 12" of the rod. The way to avoid having this happen is to use a thick rod, so they canÂt slide so easily. Or, you could sew through the tabs so they are not so long. If you are making your own drapes, you can alter these numbers to get the look you want. You could use wider tabs or you could space the tabs closer together to get smaller folds.

The stripe fabric would be easy to use. Stripes and plaids are harder to use when making clothes, but I think they are easier to use when making drapes. And lengthwise cutting and sewing are easier because you just follow the stripe. The only thing you have to worry about is which is top and which is bottom.

My suggestion would be to sew two panels together. I am not sure how wide a piece of fabric this would make because you will need to match the stripe so that it looks like one piece of fabric. I think you could probably get a drape with a finished width of 106", which would equate to 14 2" tabs with 13 6" spaces between the tabs. 14 x 2" means that would it cover at least 28" of curtain rod. If that is not quite enough coverage for you, you could place the tabs closer together, and have the folds be not quite as deep.

I hope this makes sense to you.

To answer your other question, I currently live in TX as my husband is in the military and we move every couple of years. But, I grew up in RI, so I am familiar with shopping at Job Lots, the Bldg 19s, Grossmans outlets and similar places.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She said in her blog you could use clip rings so that's what I did for mockup. I just adjusted the clips so the top s straight but t still doesn't look right - either I've got too much fabric (length? width? both?) or I did a really bad job pinning it to create the "scoops".

Take a look at her blog, I think my mockup (without a pin) is close to her WT before she pinned and fluffed. What do you think the problem is with the "scoops"? Ignore the lopsided fabric, I moved the clips so more is hanging to the left, I'd center it once I got the right length (actually width going across the window). Just seems like it needs to be pulled up at the ends more - pin it there too, though she doesn't mention having to do that? I think the tails are too long (even the right one) too, someone questioned the 2.5 times width and thought it should be more like 1.5 - 2 times width of the window (so I should start with 61.5" - 82" length of (54" wide) fabric rather than 140" of 60" wide fabric, though I don't know if those extra 6" (only 3" when doubled to "self-line") really makes a difference in the way it drapes. I'm hanging mine higher too, so thought I could use 60" width. Maybe it's a difference in the fabric weight and hand?

I'm going to look for more of this fabric at the other Job Lots in the area (maybe DH will look for me at one he can swing by on way home tomorrow). But can I get a vote for vertically striped panels vs horizontally striped valances (if I can find enough fabric for panels)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsay's blog again

• User
    14 years ago

I didn't leave, just got busy and when I checked back read you have bought fabric. Decided to wait and see it.
    Sorry your DD is sick. I hope she's feeling better soon.
    I don't care for the toppers. They're okay in the floral, but so not made for striped fabric in my opinion. But it's not my home. If you like them then by all means go for it.
    Personally, I'm still with you on feeling the panels hung high, will add height to your room. I'm doing that in our home. Obviously many here don't care for that style. I do, it's my home, I do what makes me happy. You should too.
    Rule of thumb for panel width: 1-1/2 times for patterned or picture lace or fabric, 2-1/2 times for casual/minimal gather for everyday rooms, 3 to 3-1/2 times (or more for fine fabrics or sheers) for country or formal curtains.
    For your window and the fabric you have I'd use two lengths of fabric for each of the single windows and two lengths for each side of the double window. Personally I think rod pocket panels would be the best for your room and it's decor. Rings are more contemporary leaning a bit to modern. I had planned to use them in our Ladies Parlor, but now that I'm redoing the room I realized they just won't fit the rest of the "new" room decor.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We were posting at the same time. I don't necessarily need tabs, or sailcloth. I just liked the way those JCP sailcloth panels draped and was wondering about width. Rings and tabs that are too big *do* tend to slide when you try to tie panels to one side, so if I decide to do that with these striped panels (if I go with panels), I'd have to do a rod pocket, get a thicker rod, and/or sew tabs on just barely big enough to get onto the rod.

Funny, my DH is from TX, but we spent 15 yrs in RI (most of those working for the Navy). Are you in San Antonio?

Building 19 is no more (at least not in RI), I think Grossman's went out too (the only one I knew was just over the border into CT, Groton I think). Job Lot just keeps expanding though! Oh, if you're originally from the area, you'll remember Bernie's - they just filed Chapter 11.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Becky! I figured you got busy with Owen or your own drapes. I'm not crazy about the horizontal stripes either, though they're OK since the colors are good in my room, I'd try them if I can't find any more of this fabric. But if I do fnd some, can you spell out for me (I'm an engineer, I need numbers LOL) how much I need for each window? If the raw measurement is 60" wide, do I need two of those (120" minus seam allowances) for each 41" window (counting the 81" window as 2, obviously 120" to each side)? Would I seam them together (oh no, a long seam on a stripe I have to keep straight!) to make one panel, and swag it back to one side, or do I make two separate panels and then decide if I want to pull them both back to one side or leave them hanging one to each side?

DD is feeling better, drinking Pedialyte and just ate some Cheerios (I had to run out to get, she wouldn't eat dry toast or saltines). Probably won't send her to school tomorrow since she had diarrhea at 10am. But I think the worst is over. Poor baby was in the bathroom pretty much from 7pm to 9pm last night, and I had to change her Pullup twice overnight (just a little leakage, not major). DH took over at 2am, I had been giving her sips of water since she was so thirsty and then sometime b/t 2 and 6 she threw the water up. I woke up at 6, checked the school closings, then went back to bed for 2.5 hrs. Started giving her Pedialyte at 9am, 1 oz every 10 min just to make sure she could keep that down.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

I liked the way they draped in the picture too, which is why I stopped in. Plus, I wanted to know how the back tabs worked.

Yes, we are currently in San Antonio.

I'm not familiar with Bernie's.

• User
    14 years ago

dekeoboe check the second picture in the link below to see what back tabs look like from the back.
    I love how they work and they look so darn good from the front too. Most come with a standard casing built in as do the ones in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Tabs

• Oakley
    14 years ago

The first picture Val showed with the blinds would be perfect in your room! The whole thing comes together. I like how there's a lot of width to the material to be able to drape over to the side and hide the top part of the window.

The blinds are like icing on the cake!

I figured out why I'm not too fond of the original fabric. Looking at the striped fabric made me realise that the other fabric looks too washed out & they appear to be a very thin fabric for a curtain. A bolder & heavier fabric on the windows would be gorgeous. As long as they're full and have the blinds. lol.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

Thanks. Seeing them in person this morning gave me a good feel for the proportions needed to get certain looks. Good information since I will be moving again in a couple of months. (To the house where I want to cover up that huge arch.)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, you're the one with the arch! I have to look up that thread - dd you get many good ideas?

Oakley - I like the first pic Val posted, but it is a more formal room. I agree, those wood blinds (TDBU? Or just shutters on the bottom part of the windows) really make the look. I'm partial to the 2nd and 3rd pics, as well as "the look" with back tabs from JCP, b/c the panel only comes partway across the window. Hard to get them to stay there though, so I may go with the wider (118ish"?) width and go all the way across like the first pic (though sadly no wood blinds/shutters). Oh, and actually the striped fabric is much lighter than the original JCP panels. You're right, the color wasn't good for the room (though it matched the romans and the wool rug), the stripes are better, plus the thinner fabric hangs better. I just need to line it.

Becky - it looks like back tabs really wouldn't be any harder to do than tab-tops. Just cut and fold and press a tab then sew it along the rod pocket. How many tabs/how close together would you make them? If it makes the panel pleat better I'll do it! I really don't like panels shrired on a rod pocket.

• User
    14 years ago

Did you read what I wrote at 14:56?

Here's another idea. I made extended rod pockets to soften the look on the panels in our GP.
    {{!gwi}}

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Asjsmama,

You would need 120", or two 60" widths sewn together, to make the drapes you are proposing. If you're talking about sewing fabric like the striped fabric you've shown, (which is very pretty, BTW), I can tell you what you would need to find. For proper fullness, you would need 5-1/3 yards of fabric for each single panel, because you have to allow enough additional fabric for hems and a header for each panel. A rod pocket at the top would give you better control at positioning the drape to stay in place. If you have two windows needing a single panel, and one double window needing two panels, this means you would need a minimum of 21-1/3 yards of fabric. Is this making sense to you?

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

While I do like Lindsay's WT, she's used it in a kitchen. I think it is a bit too informal for a LR. JMHO

The vertical striped material is great for your room. You can use the rings without using the clips. Just use drapery pins and put the pin through the small circle that attaches the clip to the ring.

Again, I think you need more substantial rods, especially in light of the overall look of your room. Your key pieces are not small in scale or overly feminine looking so you need rods that go with the overall look and feel of your LR.

If it were my LR, I would consider not using the romans with the striped material you've found. The material is silky and more formal looking. Whereas, your first fabric had a more earthy organic feel that didn't fight with the roman shade look. If you notice the sample rooms pictured, none have romans. If privacy is an issue (think you don't have an issue from your previous posts) perhaps you could use the half plantation shutters as shown in the samples posted by val.

Sorry to hear your little one isn't feeling well.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky - yes, I did read the 1456 post, just looking for clarification which I think nanny2a provided. I can hopefully find more fabric and put 118-119" (? depends on if I have to match stripe, then it may be more like a single 113" wide panel) on each single window (41" or if I leave the rods where they are more like 52"), and two panels on the 81" (again, may extend to 105") window. I'm just leary of trying to match the stripe and seam 2 pieces of fabric into a single panel. Will it work if I just use two separate 59ish" wide panels (allowing for 1/2" seams) and let the stripes fall where they may if I stack them back to the same side?

What would I line them with? And do you think I could manage back tabs?

nanny2a, thanks - I have 4 "packages" that are roughly 60x140 and another that has some flaws (maybe I can hide them at the floor b/c I can't cut them off) that is the same size (I have to inspect the remaining 3, they may have flaws too). They were sold as "3-yd" lengths but the two that I measured were longer so I assume they're all that length. But the length isn't double what I need (finished length app. 90") so I have to assume I need 2 of these packages for each window to get the width *and* the length I need, I'll have some shorter (app. 4ft) lengths left over. So I need 8 packages to do the room at the length I need. I can't really go by yds b/c they're all cut to 9ft lengths.

W_i_p - thanks, DD is feeling much better tonight. I found some double rods at Walmart.com, those would work if I do sheers under or a valance over (since I will have 8 4ft lengths left over). Should I do valances? I don't mind getting rid of the romans if I have lined drapes I can pull (another reason for rings or back tabs?) for light control. Do I need to sew in pleats to use pins? That's outside of my skill set.

The romans aren't lined and don't do much for light, but at least they were something until I could (can) get drapes up. The room has southern and western (though shaded by the porch, late afternoon can get hot) windows and we need to cut the glare on the TV. Privacy is not a concern. Unfortunately the plantation shutters are not n the budget. Plus then I'd feel I'd have to put them on the DR too. I have romans on all my other windows (except bathroom in back of the house upstairs, kitchen and mudroom back of downstairs) so would it look best from the "street" to have romans (though not these inexpensive ones) on all the front windows?

In fact, I'm wondering if I should make romans out of this fabric, but mount them over and outside the windows for light control and height? Thought just occurred to me, this is an option if I can't find more fabric. Or would that not work in this room?

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

ajsmama: My personal vote is to skip the valances, use the roman shades with the striped material. Actually the second example pic I posted does use a shade. It is just pulled lower than where you have yours--which is an option for you as well. If you feel that your roman shades are not formal enough, you can add some decorative trim/tassles--pulling the shade of green from the striped material. In addition, perhaps I am missing something, but I don't care for the striped material railroaded for a valance--it just looks like it needs to be flipped 90%.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Val - I wasn't going to run the stripes horizontally for a valance if I do panels, I would have about 4ft so could easily fold it in half (or cut it and line it) and use 18-24" running vertically as a valance. if I did that after matching the stripe and sewing the whole 9 ft length (yikes!) I could even make it match up with the panel.

Or are you talking about the mockup I did? I don't really care for that either. That was something I was considering if I can't find more fabric. But I *do* have enough fabric to make outside-mounted romans - what do you think of that idea?

The ivory romans are kind of a tone-on-tone "crinkle" look - not sure I like that with the striped fabric but like I said they were inexpensive, I could always find something else to put under if I need to layer.

I found this rod on Overstock - just a little more $$ than Walmart's, but reading the reviews look like better quality. Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock Clemson rod

• User
    14 years ago

I have no clue what your sewing talents are so I'd hate to say you could manage back tabs without more information. What have you sewn in the past? Personally I wouldn't classify them as a beginner, but not too advanced either. Since I've been sewing since I was a child it's hard to say just what level they really are. I can say, at the very least, they'd be time consuming.

I do have to ask this question though, how long is it from the top of the rod to the floor? I thought you had eight foot ceilings? But by what nanna2a says you need for each panel I'm thinking I must be wrong. Five and a third yards is over a hundred and ninety two inches or sixteen plus feet. I used to figure yardage in my head for customers making their own WTs for eight years at House of Fabrics so that's got me very confused. I must have missed something along the way, though I thought I've read everything. Entry and interior doors are generally seven feet high so in comparison to the door shown in one of your photos above, the wall look as though they are eight foot high.

Depending on the rod you use you'd add maybe three to four inches for the pocket and four or five for the hem. Your rods seem as though they are hung about the same height as mine are. From top of my rod to the floor is 91 inches. Five inches from there to the ceiling which makes for eight foot ceilings. Even stretching it to five inches for rod pocket/back tabs and five for hem you'd still only need one hundred and one inches or three yards/108" to be safe that it was cut straight on grain. That's nine feet. Again, did I miss something?
    I do like the clemson rod.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

I think you forgot to multiply it by 2 because each panel will be made out of two 60" widths.

• User
    14 years ago

dekeoboe, then there wouldn't be enough.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think she said 5 1/3 yds (16 ft) b/c I'd need two 8ft long 60" widths. I just went back many posts and found top of rod is 92" (not 90) from floor so I'd need more than 96" for seam allowances - so 102" length for 5" hem on each end (using top for rod)? SO I still need nearly double the amount I already got.

So, can I get away with 2 separate panels on each window (4 on the large wndow) so I don't have to match stripe and sew a wide panel? That's got me running scared. I can sew a long seam but don't know if I can keep it straight enough to match a stripe. I figured on separate panels like I'd buy, it wouldn't matter, though I know the wide panels would look nicer.

Becky - I'd probably just do the rod pocket to start, time-consuming is not good right now, but think I could add the tabs later if it made it look nicer. I've never sewn anything from a pattern, but made (lined) denim stockings for DH and the kids like the one my mom made for us when we were little (well, I was a teenager), and a couple of dresses for DD from that fabric that has the elastic smocking on top, so it was just a matter of cutting it a little smaller than her chest, folding it and sewing a seam, then turning it inside right and adding straps.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought last night Overstock was slightly more $$ than Walmart but today the shorter rods are actually less and long rod is the same, so I'm ordering the Clemson rods. Need to know ASAP though, should I order holdbacks? 4 or 6? They're $24/pair.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

I was figuring on a 96" unfinished panel, doubled, which would equal 192" per panel, or 5-1/3 yds. If the unfinished length needs to be 107" for a 95" finished panel, then you would need 6 yards per individual panel.

Justgotobeme, to get the correct fullness for each panel, you would need to use 2 -60" panels. This would allow for pattern matching for the stripe, as well as 4" on each side for side hemming, 6" at header and 6" for bottom hem. The finished panel would be approximately 108" + or - because of stripe matching x 95" length.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Asjmama, if the packages are each 9' lengths, then yes, you are correct in saying that you would need 8 packages to do the room. If you can't get what you need, you might consider roman shades out of this fabric, which would also look lovely with your color selections. The striped fabric is very attractive with those throw pillows and the ottoman.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

The Clemson rod has a diameter of one inch. What is the diameter of the current rod?

• jlj48
    14 years ago

What a beautiful little girl! I didn't think I could sew, but I think I could make that dress for my daughter. I'm inspired now!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH said he'd look at the other Job Lot on the way home from work (let's see if he remembers - he went in last b/c he had to plow the 5" of snow we got last night). I'll check the one near school tomorrow. Maybe I should hold off with the rods til we see what we can find for fabric.

nanny2a - I did consider (mention) making romans out of the striped fabric I have b/c it's more than enough. What do you think of outside mount above the windows? Of course in order not to look funny when raised they'd have to be the same width ( or only slightly wider) than the window, what about using the skinny rods I have now to mount them?

If outside mount won't work than I can use the hardware from the blinds I have now, the fabric just Velcros on so it's just a matter of lining them and sewing in thin dowels and rings for cord. I can even scavenge those from the existing shades. Only thing is the inside mount romans don't add height, and I don't think they soften the room that much.

But assuming we can find all the fabric this w/e, would I use the holdbacks or just let the panels hang straight? Just looking to save some $$ at $24/pair. The doorknob rods and holdbacks from JCP are slightly less but I think I like the squared-off finials from Overstock better. I was also wondering though, since the CL end tables might not be my forever furniture, whether the doorknob finials might be more classic? Or since they're just held on with set screws, I could keep the rods and change out finials in the future if I order the JCP instead of the Overstock? I'm just so afraid of wasting *more* money!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, posting at same time b/c I had to get DD some Pedialyte. She threw up again about 9am - nurse said this bug is lasting about 5 days! But my mom will stay here while go in to help with kindergarten Valentine's party tomorrow (and stop at Job Lot 10 miles away from school). Poor baby, missing her party! I'll bring her Valentines home, we can work next week making ones from her and she can bring them in after vacation.

Anyway, the current rods I think are 1/2" with 1" clip rings. The Walmart rods are b/t 3/4" and 1" according to reviews (website doesn't say), and the JCP ones are "1 inch in diameter and have a 3-7/8 to 5" clearance" - doesn't say how big the finials are. I'm afraid the holdbacks would be huge, but good thing about JCP is that I can return to store even if I order online. Does anybody know Overstock's return policy?

joanie - thanks, I think she's beautiful too. The dresses were really easy. I made the other one with 2 straps since the halter-type single strap was hard to get over her head - she grew last July/August! I bought a bunch of other (summer) fabric and some patterns I thought were pretty simple, but I wanted to wait until my aunt (who had breast cancer) was feeling better to help me make them since I've never cut and pieced a pattern. Gotta make them this summer b4 DD outgrows the size I have fabric for!

• User
    14 years ago

First off, your daughter is adorable! She looks so pleased with her pretty sundress. I used to make Katie similar sundresses using tube tops. They didn't have these ready to make ones way back then. Katie is 25. She loved those little dresses and wore them almost everywhere. I don't think you can buy tube tops anymore, can you?
    Okay, let's just say, that I had NO chocolate yesterday and this morning I have one huge sinus/allergy type headache so I'm not even going to look to see if I figured the panel yardage right last night. The only time I had trouble figuring fabric yardage in my head was when my allergies were acting up and I was taking antihistamines. I have no clue what I wrote about or how I figured the length of the fabric, but I do realize now that I wasn't thinking straight. I need my Hershey's Special Dark or I'm brain dead. Obviously. Oh and I forgot to take my BP meds yesterday. Not sure if that made any difference or not. Just saying......
    I think I'm thinking well enough to say, go ahead and make six individual panels using the three yard lengths. If you like my extended rod pockets for a softer look, as shown in my photo above, then make your hem first and use the rest of the fabric for whatever size rod pocket you can make.
    Gosh, I hope this all makes sense.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, DD loved her sundresses and was so disappointed when she outgrew them so quickly - hated to give them to her cousin. I don't think you can buy tube tops any more, and this fabric s nice b/c it's fuller at the bottom for the skirt. It comes in really short length (narrow widths) though so it's not good for dresses unless your DD is under 40" tall.

I'm going to hold off hemming or doing anything with the fabric I have until I see if we can find more, just in case I have to use them for romans. How big is your extended rod pocket, and is it just one pocket or basically a 2" "header" that you put the rod through and then a larger "pocket" below just for looks? I'm thinking a 5-6" pocket would let the panel slide around too much and not shir? My "3-yd" packages are nearly 11 ft, so if I put a 6" hem on the bottom I'd be ending up with a 30" pocket! I don't think I want them *that* "extended" LOL. I'm going to have to cut some off - but then I'll have a lot left to make attached valances, or valances for another room, or throw pillows or something.

Take the BP meds now while you're thinking of it! Sorry about the sinuses. I like Nestle Chocolatier better than Special Dark (though that used to be my favorite).

• User
    14 years ago

Oh yes, I wouldn't start sewing until you know you can get enough fabric. Have you thought about calling the Job Lob locations in your area? If they have more I bet they'd hold them for you.
    My extended rod pocket is approximately nine and a half inches. There is no header at all. Since my rods are hung high I have to buy panels that are too long and then hem them. With these I decided wanted a softer look so I seam ripped the header and rod pocket apart and made the rod pocket at large as I could, like I suggested for you to do before you told me how much extra fabric you have. I really like the look. In person you really don't notice the seam at all. It looks like the fabric is just folded over the top of the rod. As for it sliding, I put the side seam hem just over the edge of the bracket and that seems to hold it just fine when I do need to slide my panels closed for lighting issues. I suppose if you had to, one could use a paperclip as a double hook poking one "hook" through the fabric and securing it to the final with the other "hook".

As you can see in my photo that my rods are not fat. I think they are one inch in diameter. They look perfectly fine and I happen to love thick wood rods.

Speaking of rods, if you are able to make the panels and pull the fabric back on holdbacks the rods wouldn't show, like in the first photo Val shared, so the rod size wouldn't matter. Can you get holdbacks to match your current rods?

I can think of a really neat pillow you could make with the extra fabric. You can do so many fun things with stripes.

I already took my BP meds for the day. Thank you for the reminder though! That's how I knew I'd forgotten to take yesterdays. I keep them in one of those little weekly thingies. I alternate two different BP meds so I'd forget which I took the day before if I didn't use one.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have holdbacks to match my current rods. Do you think I could use those instead of buying new ones? They're only 1/2", and I'm not sure about spray painting them - if I need dark finials and holdbacks I'd rather buy them and sell these on CL. Do you think the silver birdcage finials look OK? That would save about $160 on Overstock if I could just use what I have.

I would love to put 2 more (striped) pillows on the sofa, put the beige microfiber in between the striped and the floral ones. But don't know if that would be too many pillows. I'm going to have to think what I can do with the extra (assuming I find more). Maybe throw pillows for the porch furniture? Would that be too weird? That's the next sewing project (after curtains and DD's summer dresses). I found some heavy (neutral canvas color) twill at Job Lot too, was thinking I could use that for cushions but I don't know if it's outdoor. How can you tell? I don't want it to mildew. And I still have to find time to finish all my doors and window sashes, plus some missing baseboard and door casings, if we can resolve the loose tile issue. Oh, and to have a functional master bath before DS starts jr high in Sept would be nice, so he and DH aren't competing for the lone shower at the same time. It'll be a busy next 6 months!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got the new Country Curtains catalog, new arrival - Westport Stripe in Seafoam. It's almost identical to the fabric I found at Job Lot (so maybe that's where terriks saw it)! It has a wide light gold/tan stripe and darker gold/tan pinstripes, the Job Lot fabric has darker wide stripe and lighter pinstripe. But the CC fabric is $18/yd and I got it less than $2/yd! The JL in Southwick said they had some they thought looked like what I was describing, they are going to hold it at service desk for me til the AM (normally don't hold overnight but since I explained DD was sick they said they would). Maybe DH will find some in Bloomfield tonight (they didn't want to look), there may also be some in Windsor near the airport (they weren't sure, said they had lots of stripes) and I may have a chance to go there tomorrow if my mom will stay longer with DD.

This pic is from CC's website - what do you think of the valance (if I do skinny panels rather than wide and pulling them to the side?)? I think (if I find 4 more lengths at JL) that I'll have enough to do a valance. Or is this too formal for my LR/TV room? Maybe if I had Queen Anne furniture...but with the A&C type tables and transitional leather sofa, am I better with just straight panels like they show in the red?

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Curtains fabric

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I think they would go well with your furniture. They are soft but still clean lined and not fussy.

• User
    14 years ago

I love this last look. And Continental rods are very expensive. You TV should stick out enough to not have to worry about the panels either. The TV in our sunroom will be attached to the wall with panels directly behind it. Only the TV will be on a shelf like that multi-shelf thing I showed you awhile back when you were looking for a table for under your TV.
    Did you ever say why you wanted the TV mounted instead of on the table?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

?? Becky, do you think I should make the valances and buy Continental rods or not? I thought they were less than decorative rods - in fact, I probably have 1 or 2 in the basement, my mom might have some.

DH had no luck finding the fabric, I'll have to keep looking.

Oh, and we'll have the TV on this table until I can finish the other one, just so we get the height right. In fact, it might sit on that one a while with the DVD player on the shelf below, since it takes forever to have DH do anything around here (and I can't mount the TV by myself). I've already bought the mount though. I thought a mount would be more secure with DD around.

I'm going to bed - was up with DD last night and now I'm not feeling well either. Shouldn't have had leftover chili for dinner. Hope I'm not getting the bug.

• User
    14 years ago

Are you talking just the valances? That would work too, but I thought you wanted the panels to give the illusion of heights. If you can't find the fabric then you can't. Bummer, I'm sorry you are sick too. Take care hope you sleep well.

Oh and yes, go for the continental rods. They'd look great and no worries about the finials or brackets showing! Yay !

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yes, I would do the panels as well as the valances (panels first, then take my time making the valances). Though now I won't be going anywhere for a few days, I might start a new thread asking folks in CT/MA/RI to look for this fabric at their Job Lots for me.

It hit me as hard as it hit DD - harder maybe since it's simultaneous (w/o giving TMI). Mom is staying far away, DH is taking tomorrow off to take care of me. Not that he's had to do too much, I cleaned up after myself, but I just had him disinfect the phones, the kitchen and now will have him do the computer. Just had to email the teacher and check in here.

• User
    14 years ago

I hope you are feeling better this morning!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Becky - Ds got sick right after I did Thursday night. I'm almost back to normal now (I'll dare to try something other than dry toast and gingerale today!), he's still got it. We both spent most of the day sleeping yesterday since we spent Thursday night in the bathroom. At least we managed not to be in there at the same time! Really have to finish the master bath (if I can get the floor in, we can set the toilet and we have a working shower, I can wait for countertops and tub deck).

Anyway, the hunt continues for the fabric - I did start another thread yesterday but no one has volunteered to help look. Maybe they're waiting til they find it to post/email me.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm glad you're feeling almost normal again. I hate the flu. so not fun.
    I know you've been sick, but before you got sick, did you have time to call the stores? Some stores can even find out through inventory check what's available at other stores in their district, so make sure to ask them that. Good Luck!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, the only problem with inventory check is that they barcoded *all* the fabric the same, so someone has to physically go look at what they have and try to figure out if it's what I'm talking about (if I could email a picture it would help but no one's suggested that). I *did* call the 3 stores closest to us, 1 said maybe (but DH didn't see any), 1 said they thought they had 2 pieces and would hold them for me but didn't, the last one wouldn't even try to check but DH is heading there today.

I wasn't feeling well enough yesterday to call the main office, but I will on Monday and ask where they got their fabric from - if it's not multiple sources I may be able to go to the original store/manufacturer and find the rest. Or, it may have been discontinued and I'm out of luck :-(

I'm feeling normal - actually had a bagel with margarine for breakfast! Though I'm not brave enough for coffee. Lost 4 pounds in 24 hrs - not the kind of diet I want to recommend though. DS still has some lingering effects, he's sticking to dry toast. DD is acting fine (which is why she went to swim lessons) but I gave her a bath before I got sick, she must have lost a bt b/c she seems skinny, I mentioned it to DH and he said her eyes are still sunken and dark circles under *and* over so he was trying to push fluids on her. At least she got her appetite back - ate banana, strawberries, grapes and some turkey yesterday though I told him no cheese or milk. She wanted kielbasa last night with him, wisely he told her no.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm happy both you and your daughter are feeling better. Hope your hubby is by now too.
    If you don't find anymore of this fabric I do think just the valance from your inspiration picture will work very well hung high like you want.