SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanutmom_gw

What to do with old windows

peanutmom
13 years ago

Okay, please don't hate me. I know there are some true blue, dyed in the wool historically accurate restorers. I live in a house that has definitely been abused and mistreated at different times in the history of its ownership. I love my house, but this was not always the case. When I bought it, there were holes in between sets of "matching" windows that you could slide your hand into. Now, for the record, a lot has been changed for practicality. We have taken a lot of windows out and recycled what we could, but there is no place near here that takes old windows, etc. and I cannot bear to send that beautiful, wavy glass to the landfill or break the windows up to recycle just the glass. Sorry, cannot make myself do it.

What I am wondering is how do I find someone who would be interested in some old windows, mostly large panes of glass that could even be cut down for smaller panes in other size windows. Double hung? One pane up and one down. 52"x27" over all size windows. Due to lead paint and other financial issues, we have been changing what we need to as we can. We use as much recycled material as possible, but I cannot do windows. I break more than I save and it has been heart wrenching to see the old glass shatter with my clumsiness. With all of our financial issues, we cannot afford to have them refinished. What I would like to do is find someone who would appreciate them and make use of them. Any ideas? Freecycle was a flop and I won't do Craigslist. Any takers? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I would truly like to find them a good home. Pun intended.

Comments (15)