SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntt_hou

Asian Steamed Buns Recipe As Promised!

ntt_hou
15 years ago

I call these Asian Steamed Buns because the recipe is a mixture between Chinese and Vietnamese Steamed Buns.

(Photo is shown with no eggs in the buns. Yep! Sure forgot them this time. Too much in a rush watching the Olympic=o)

{{gwi:1553815}}

As mentioned before, I don't cook with measurements, just eye balling the quantity. The dough measurement should work fine. As for the filling, all ingredient quantities are pretty forgiving. If you happenened to have more or less of a filling ingredient, it should come out just as delicious.

I use my 7qt. Cuisinart Stand Mixer to mix and knead. If you have another brand of stand mixer, please follow your mixer manual for speed setting. You may also use a whisk to dissolve the sugar in milk. And hand knead the dough as directed below.

NTT's Steamed Buns

Quantity: 30 buns about medium size (3-3½ inches in diameter)

Ingredients:

Dough

8 cups self-rising flour

2 cups fresh milk (may substitute with 3/4 cup evaporated milk-can + 3/4 cup water)

1½ cups white granulated sugar

Filling

4 links Chinese sausage, thinly sliced spread out in toaster oven at 350F degrees for 15-20 mins

4 lbs. ground lean pork. (May use ground turkey or a mixture of ground pork and ground turkey or any ground white meat)

3-4 fresh large shiitake mushrooms or fresh portobello mushrooms, cut into small cubed (May use dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water and thinly sliced)

1 bunch (8-12 ea.) of green onions, sliced

1 tpn. ginger, finely chopped

1 Tbn. oyster sauce

1 Tbn. soy sauce

1 Tbn. fish sauce (if fish sauce is not available, substitute with 1 tpn. of sea salt)

1 tpn. ground black pepper

¼ tpn. white granulated sugar

30 quail eggs, hard-boiled and peeled. (Or, 5 chicken eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and cut into approximate 1-inch cubed).

Note: Quail eggs are also available precooked in a can.

Directions:

1. In the stand mixer with a dough hook, add milk with sugar in the bowl and mix to dissolve the sugar (Cuisinart #6-7 speed). Add 1 cup of flour at a time while mixing at the same speed. When the flour is no longer sticking to the bowl, turn speed down to #3 (Cuisinart stand mixer) and knead for 5 mins, (if use ½ the recipe, knead for 3 mins.). Set it on a side.

Note: If you don't have a stand mixer, knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes or until the dough is soft and elastic.

2. Except for the eggs, mix all the ingredients for the filling together. Use fingers to mix it well. Do not precook it as some recipes suggested. Divide the mixture into 30 pieces. Roll each piece up into a meatball with a piece of the boiled egg in the center.

3. Divide the dough into 30 equal pieces. Roll out the dough to about 5" in dia, put filling in the center.

4. To seal: Pinch the edge of the dough until it cups all up into a ball and seal it with a twist. (Of course, it's easier said than done as you can see my work from the photos. It takes some practice =)

5. Use mini paper cupcake holders, each flatten and lightly oiled. Place each holder at the bottom of each bun. It will prevent the buns from sticking to the bamboo steamer.

6. Arrange 5 buns around in each steam bamboo tray (10" dia tray - photo #1). The buns will rise double in size when steamed so place them apart (photos #2 and #3). Place the lid on.

7. To steam: Make sure you use a wok or a pot that the bamboo steamers fit snuggly over it (Photo #4). Put enough water in the wok/pot so that the bamboo steamers do not touch the water. Turn the heat on high to boil the water.

8. When the water starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium-high. Place 1 bamboo tray with buns and lid over the wok/pot. Steam for 20 mins. Avoid opening the lid during steaming.

Note: Steam each tray at a time. When done, remove the tray immediately, do not let buns sit in the covered tray over boiling water for too long. It may toughen the dough.

As you're switching the trays, keep an eye on the water level. If it becomes too low, add water and bring it to a boil again before steaming the next batch of the buns.

Steamed buns freeze pretty well. May reheat in microwave for 1 minute or less per bun. Too much heating in the microwave will make the dough tough.

Photo #1

{{gwi:1568775}}

Photo #2

{{gwi:1568777}}

Photo #3

{{gwi:1555335}}

Photo #4

{{gwi:1568780}}

Please don't hesitate to post questions or let me know if the meat mixture is not enough or too much left overs.

Enjoy!

Natalie

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio