SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Adding 3 feet to foundation walls?

navi_jen
9 years ago

Hello GW!

Well, had my first conceptual meeting with the architect today. I pretty much decided that a large addition with a two car garage is out...too expensive and would overwhelm the existing house. Now, we come to the fun stuff. How to add an 3 story addition (10 x 20 ish, garage/basement, family room, BD) of the side of a tiny house (920 sq ft) on a very sloping lot (~10 feet drop between the road and the new garage basement floors.

So: we are entertaining 3 options...all these options with have a similar exterior and the roof ridges (old and new) would be the same height.
1. New 3 story addition (at grade with existing house). No garage, but basement instead :(
2. Garaged basement. Family room & master bedroom a half story above existing house. Would have stairs connecting the existing house to the new addition. No attic on addition, rather use the 12x12 roof pitch and a shed dormer to carve out enough space for a 3rd bedroom.
3. Add 3 feet on top of existing house foundation walls (existing house basement ceiling would increase to 10 feet) to counteract lot slope. Add at grade garage, 2 stories (family room & BD).

So, my questions are:

1. Have you all seen old houses with nice stairways to account for different half-levels? I'd hate to have it look like a 60s split level inside.
2. Is raising a foundation a ridiculous and super expensive notion? I will be replacing all the electric and plumbing anyways, addition or not (although I'm wondering how the additional basement ceiling height would impact the steam pipes and their pitch to the new boiler).

Thank you :)

I'm including 1 picture...I can't figure how to upload more than 1 on the same post!!!

This post was edited by navi_jen on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:31

Comments (3)