SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stolenbuick

Counter height issues after adding 6 cm granite (3 cm with 3cm edge)

Michael Buxbaum
6 years ago

Hello all! Hope your year is off to a great start!

I have a new kitchen that is going to be installed. Base cabinets are standard 34.5". I am getting 3 cm granite with a 3 cm laminated edge for a 6 cm look.

Questions:

1. How high will my countertop be with this laminated edge? I assume it will be higher than the standard 36" with the thicker laminated edge and substrate but not sure by how much

2. I have an island with only a dishwasher and sink. There is a free standing range in the middle of another counter that is along the wall. Should we NOT shime the cabinets by the wall and then install the 1/2" floor tile to help offset the counter height and allow the stove to better fit evenly with what I assume will be higher countertops?

3. And then, I assume we must shime the Island base cabinets a 1/2" or the dishwasher will not fit under the counter, correct?

Desperate for advise as no one seems to have a clear answer on this issue with the thicker counters and we don't want a problem after they are already installed like the stove being too low or have to raise the leds of the stove 2" which looks terrible.

Thanks folks!

Comments (35)