SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
verdant_croft

Old house reeks - how do you de-scent it?

verdant_croft
15 years ago

My new-to-me old house just plain stinks, especially when closed up for awhile. I wash and dry my office clothes daily and put them on straight from the dryer, because I can't hang anything up for a week and then wear it without being offensive.

I think it's the wood floors. I've been told prior owners had "free-range" rabbits in the house, for years. The immediate prior owners had dogs and cats and four kids and a house piled to the ceiling, with paths. Those two owners account for about twenty years of living.

The wood floors aren't pitted, dinged or scraped (they were once covered with carpet) - I've been told a good buffing would make them look like new (sort of). If I buff them and finish them with a new coat of whatever you put on hardwood floors (researching this), will that get rid of the scent? I'll be washing clothes daily for decades if the only solution is the expense of going down to the frame and installing fresh subflooring and new wood floors. I really don't want carpet.

House is cinder block, built in 1959, 1,500 square feet, of which 1,000 is some kind of durable old-style hardwood floor - "heartwood," I've been told. Crawl space, no basement. Fairly damp climate - central Virginia.

Seriously, any help appreciated. I'd love to have a house that I can hang my clothes up in and otherwise treat it like a normal house!

TIA for any advice!!

Verdant Croft

Comments (10)