SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeetoolbabe

Custom furniture reeks of cigarette....

toolbabe
14 years ago

Our bathroom remodel was going well. On time and on budget. And then, I decided to have the vanity and cabinets custom made....

Argghhh....

The plan was to maximise storage space while freeing floor space by recessing the storage cabinets into the walls. I had looked at Vanico Maronix furniture but our GC told us he could do better for less, and to specs. He could also do matching wall raised panels wainscotting. So we supplied him with the drawings and colour picks.

So far so good, right?

Initially, I had planned on finishing the woodwork myself, something I am quite able to do being used to finishing sailboats, but was told it would save him time and me money to let him handle it. He had a professional painter on hand who could do the job faster and better than I presumably could. That was in November.

A month ago, I was shown a sample raised panel. The woodworking was fabulous. But his "pro" painter had used the wrong colour, a roller and the paint straight out of the can, creating a rough "orange peel" bumpy surface instead of the smooth finish one would normally expect of quality workmanship. I was told the problem came from the paint I had selected which did not spread properly. My initial reaction was to tell him to bring everything back to me and that I would do the paint job myself. But when he told me everything had already been painted this way I told him to repaint, this time using a proper paint brush and paint dilution. He did, but charged me for the repaint.

Well, we have just received the furniture and it is not only poorly painted, streaked and bumpy, but it also reeks of cigarette smoke!

I could just cry.

We've had a good and long standing work relationship with this GC, and I am trying to find a reasonable solution to this. But so far, we are over 20K out of pocket for this cabinetwork (strickly woodwork mind, no top, taps, hinges, knobs or anything else) and it is neither entirely complete nor installed.

How would you handle this?

Comments (23)