SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeetoolbabe

How to level a bathtub into a podium

toolbabe
14 years ago

Here's the deal...

My GC has fumbled the ball with the tub surround height. The tub is 18 high, measured from the underside of the lip down to the floor, and is designed to be dropped into a tub surround. The base of the tub must rest on the floor and the whole thing has to be level....preferably.

So.... GC goes out and builds this tub surround 20' high, and tells me not to worry, that the extra space is needed to shim the tub so it is level. He wants to do this using cedar shims, yet. Does not want to hear about mortar setting the bathtub. I have some qualms but hey, he's the professional... So I shut up.

Guess what, he failed to take into consideration the granite top installation.

So yesterday, me and Mr. Plumber go to fit the tub into the podium, and hello! there is a 3' (yes, 3 inches!) gap between the floor and the bottom of the tub.

Turns out GC did not measure the bathtub itself - which was on site - but relied on the manufacturer's drawing while disregarding the stated caveat that the measures shown can vary without notice. The drawing, incidentally, do show the height from floor to lip to be 20', so CG could not have properly shimmed the tub anyway.

I am beyond livid (this is the GC who sold me shoddy custom made cabinets which reek of cigarette smoke) but I am trying to stay focussed and get this project completed. What can I do now?

It is way too late to modify the tub surround, so I have to raise the floor under the tub somehow.

Which is the best way to do this? Do I build up the existing floor, or do I pour a cement (mortar?) base onto the existing floor and sink the tub into it? Or, should I do a combination of both, like building a raised frame under the tub and pour cement into that?

Been without a full bathroom since November, and I was really hoping to take a bath at Easter... Sighhh....

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathtub installation

Comments (12)