SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
word_doc

Wondering what this room was for in a 1940 bungalow/cottage

word_doc
10 years ago

Hi! We are under contract to buy a 1940 bungalow. The floor plan is a little unusual compared to most of the other homes I've seen in the area. I drew a rough (not to scale for sure) floor plan in MS Paint--it was the only thing I could think of to use and I've never used it before. Anyway, I was wondering what the room was used for. It does not close off to the living room but communicates with it via a large opening between the two rooms such that if we were to close it off with french doors, they would probably have to be custom made because of the size of the opening. So both rooms were clearly originally open to each other, but they are definitely separate rooms. As in most bungalows, the front door opens right into the living room.

Normally one of the rooms might be the dining room, but there is one of those already, and it has a china cabinet built in and is right off the kitchen, so it's definitely meant to be the dining room.

Maybe a parlor? Were those even being done by 1940? A library that was open to the living room?

Comments (10)