SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moneypitzela

beach cottage family room makeover: you're in charge

moneypitzela
14 years ago

It's a million dollar view, no doubt about it. The inside isn't nearly there though, and now it's my turn to make a few improvements. Somehow the room isn't working, and I'm overwhelmed as to possible reasons why. It's a beach house after all. Lots of sand, visitors, mold, damp, and stuff that needs a home and that others just can't get rid of. The furniture is worn and stained (but clean) and once loved somewhere else. So here's a new twist from my previous post that asked for fireplace surround advice:

I'm posting various angles of pics of the family room of our summer beach house and invite fellow GW's to help me improve and update this room without changing the fundamentals and character of what it is.

The pine panel will stay, (thanks to previous post influence). With the beautiful ocean view, the L shaped leather couch faces the bookshelves and fireplace. Should it? The room is wider than it is long. Keep the rug or is it too Florida-esque and not beachy enough? I have no idea if the room is oriented the right way. (Many movies are watched on the TV, and fires burned in the fireplace on cool evenings) I'm willing to get new lamps, pillows, etc. Should the pictures stay or go? What about window treatments? White sheers or shade, or nothing at all?

I'm not afraid to paint, discard, purchase, move around or alter. Hope this isn't an overwhelming question...but what would you do?

Comments (26)