SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Apple French Toast Breakfast Lasagna

elba1
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I will be hosting a women's fellowship group at our church at the end of the month (we meet Sat am for an hour). The hostess has been keeping it simple, as many of the women cook all week & don't want to for this (today's hostess brought bagels & such from Dunkin Donuts with a side of fruit). I like to bake & was thinking this recipe would be good for a fall breakfast as it includes protein, fruit & starch all in one dish. I would have to double or triple it, as we have a count of about 14. Two questions:

1. I think real apples would be much better than the canned pie filling, especially this time of year. How would you prepare them & how many do you think I would need? (My guess was in a saucepan with a little water, sugar & cinnamon until soft).

2. I feel like I want to bring at least one other thing with it. Perhaps a simple fruit salad? Any other suggestions? Thanks

Apple French Toast Breakfast Lasagna (serves 6)

1 cup sour cream

1/3 cup brown sugar

12 slices french toast (we used cinnamon swirl bread instead)

8 oz. thinly sliced ham

up to 2 cups shredded cheddar

1 20 oz. can apple lie filling

1 cup granola (with raisins if desired)

1. Combine sour cream & brown sugar; chill or set aside.

2. Heat oven to 350 degrees & grease a 9x13" pan.

3. Place 6 slices of bread in pan; covering bottom.

4. Layer ham, cheddar & remaining bread.

5. Spread apple pie filling over top; sprinkle with granola.

6. Bake for 25 min. serve with sour cream mixture.

(This can be assembled the night before & refrigerated until ready to heat.)

Comments (41)

• compumom
    11 years ago

It's very generous of you to bake and it does sound good.
    This dish has so many carbs, I think adding pie filling would be over the top. I'd saute the peeled apples for a short time with a bit of butter, cinnamon and a tiny bit of brown sugar. Then add to the mixture.

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions to lower the carbs? One of the men made it once for their group. I got to taste it, & it was good, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Related Discussions

Today's Breakfast

Q

Comments (22)
    Cooperbailey, Ken made us a similar breakfast yesterday - not an omelet but a 'scramble' - leftover diced roasted potatoes which had been roasted with some Dijon mustard coating them mixed in with diced ham, cheese, onions and eggs - boy was it good! (No vanilla, thank goodness, LOL) Mustangs you've got me sooooo ready for grits! I look forward to our month in Florida every year and that's the only time I eat grits with every breakfast (well, breakfasts "out", that is). I just don't bother with them here in New Jersey but I just love em!
    ...See More

Toast: how do you like yours?

Q

Comments (34)
    Hi chisue, We had one of the ones with the two wings and the little wooden handle on the side to turn the wing down to put the bread in ...then had to watch 'em, so that they didn't smoke. Had to flip 'em, too, to toast the other side. Need to watch again, to be sure that the second side didn't smoke, either/too. Sort of like needing to turn the other side, when sunbathing. ole joyful
    ...See More

Using lasagna noodles in things other than lasagna?

Q

Comments (12)
    the infamous butternut squash lasagne... Not really "different" but still, different... Butternut Squash Lasagna From epicurious.com For squash filling 1 large onion, chopped 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 3 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage 1 cup hazelnuts (4 oz), toasted, loose skins rubbed off with a kitchen towel, and coarsely chopped For sauce 1 teaspoon minced garlic 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour 5 cups milk 1 bay leaf (not California) 1 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon white pepper For assembling lasagne 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, coarsely grated (2 cups) 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3 oz) 12 (7- by 3 1/2-inch) sheets no-boil lasagne (1/2 lb) preparation Make filling: Cook onion in butter in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add squash, garlic, salt, and white pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, sage, and nuts. Cool filling. Make sauce while squash cooks: Cook garlic in butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes. Whisk in salt and white pepper and remove from heat. Discard bay leaf. (Cover surface of sauce with wax paper if not using immediately.) Assemble lasagne: Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss cheeses together. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in a buttered 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish (or other shallow 3-quart baking dish) and cover with 3 pasta sheets, leaving spaces between sheets. Spread with 2/3 cup sauce and one third of filling, then sprinkle with a heaping 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times, beginning with pasta sheets and ending with cheese. Top with remaining 3 pasta sheets, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese. Tightly cover baking dish with buttered foil and bake lasagne in middle of oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let lasagne stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Cooks' note (not Bizzo's)  Filling and sauce can be made 1 day ahead and kept separately, covered and chilled. Bring to room temperature before assembling. Makes 6 servings
    ...See More

Milk Toast

Q

Comments (29)
    I don't remember having it myself although I may have when very young but I never liked milk and it did not agree with me so I did not have milk often. My grandfather always had a bowl of cooked rice with warm milk and a little butter and sugar every night after dinner as his desert. It was also served for breakfast a lot. Mom used to make us home made pudding on the stove when we were sick we loved it. And she made wonderful French toast but we called it egg bread or Pain Perdu. I loved pancakes made out of corn bread batter, they were one of my faves. Cooked in the big cast iron skillet, she would add just a little sugar to the batter to give them a light sweet taste and fry till crunchy. Man I have not had that since I was a kid.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

It sounds good to me to although I would too sub home cooked apples (with sugar and butter) instead.
    Don't worry about the carbs, some people won't eat it, most will! All those no carb people and I am one, cheat every so often.

• cynic
    11 years ago

The pie filling of course would be sweeter. Home cooked apples could be nice and not too much effort. But personally, I would not add sugar to them. The dish is going to be sweet enough especially with cinnamon bread. I'd like some tart, juicy apples in there, maybe with the juice reduced down a bit. I'd skip the cheese, but that's me. I don't like cheese on sweet things. Can't handle cheddar on apple pie but I'd top it with some whipped cream! The lily needs gilding at times.

A couple of the local stores here have a pretty good cinnamon swirl bread. It's quite sweet on its own so I wouldn't think it would need the brown sugar sauce on top. Other ideas: I'd also consider a variation, mixing some fresh or frozen berries either as part or in place of the apples. Bacon and/or sausage would mix in there well too, in place of or in addition to the ham depending on your tastes and supplies. (And grease tolerance!)

A good hot cup of coffee with this and it should be a tasty breakfast.

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for the additional feedback. I think you're right and I won't add sugar to the apples.
    If I'm making 2 or 3, I was also wondering about variations - maybe 1 without meat (although I don't think there are any vegetarians in the group).
    When I had a sample of this dish, I remember thinking the addition of cheddar cheese seemed strange to me, but surprised me that it tasted good - it's almost like a ham & cheese sandwich with fruit.
    Were you saying you'd suggest whipped cream with this instead of the sour cream/brown sugar, or just for pie?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Sorry....it doesn't sound good to me at all...
    What that recipe is, is ham and cheese sandwich with apple pie filling poured on top and baked.....and served with cold sweetened sour cream. No thanks!

I think you have 2 recipes going here....one would be a cheese strata with ham and cheese. I would chop the ham when making so it would be easier to serve.
    12 slices french bread
    chopped ham and shredded cheddar
    4 eggs
    2 1/2 cups whole milk
    mustard
    1 Tsp worchestershire.
    Layer 6 slices bread in buttered casserole
    spread mustard on the bread and top with ham and cheese
    Add top slices of bread
    Whisk eggs and milk and worchestershire and pour over bread in the casserole....allow to stand at least an hour so the milk and egg is absorbed....or over night in the refrigerator.
    Top with a little more grated cheese and bake 375 for about 45 minutes if room temperature, or 1 hour if cold from the refrigerator.

Or....make a casserole as above, without the ham and mustard. Place sauteed apple rings on the cheese and top with another slice of bread. Pour over the egg and milk mixture, let stand until milk is absorbed, add another layer of apple rings and either top with more cheese or granola and bake as above.

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I have to agree with Linda, there is a little too much going on in that recipe for me!

Here is a link to breakfast casseroles from not too long ago. Many good ideas there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breakfast casseroles.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

It sounds good to me, but I'd leave out the cheese too, like cynic, I don't care for cheese with apple pie, etc.

Whether or not I left out the sugar would depend on the variety and sweetness of the apples, some can be extremely tart.

If I were doing more than one I wouldn't hesitate to leave out the ham and cheese and make a sweet one and a savory one, just cut into smaller pieces.

I think you already have enough fruit, you don't need a fruit salad, and you already have meat, eggs, bread. I think it's a meal, unless you added potatoes.

Sorry, I just like potatoes, LOL.

Annie

• lindac
    11 years ago

But.....what's the moisture in that if you just slice apples on top? Have you ever made this recipe before? It's just ham and cheese on bread....without even any butter or mustard....just a dry ham and cheese sandwich....baked so the cheese melts with apples on top.
    I just don't get it. Make a Dutch baby and fill it with hot apple pie filling and top with granola......and serve with hash browns!! LOL!,,,Oh yeah hash browns with ham and cheese!

I guess what I am saying is that there are lots better breakfast casseroles....read the thread Barnmom posted. Lots of T and T recipes.
    Linda c

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional feedback & link everyone. I did want to do something with apples since it is apple season. I thought this kind of combined sweet & savory. Lindac - I could do the two you are suggesting - I guess the one with apples tastes like a baked french toast? If I make them too different, they will want to try both, then I might need even more.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I think I'd just stick with one kind and not try to do two different ones.

I still think the original one sounds fine, more like grilled ham and cheese with a sweet component than french toast but still good. I know lots of people who put cheese with apple pie or fruit glazes on ham, so I don't think it's an unusual combination.

It's a lot better than bagels and Dunkin' Donuts, that's for sure!

Annie

• lindac
    11 years ago

Sweet and savory is a good thing...particularly apples and ham and cheese....but the recipe you posted wouldn't be like a grilled cheese with apples...it would be more like an apple pie with a ham and cheese sandwich for a crust. the only moisture in that recipe is the stuff between the pieces of apple in the pie filling.....and then you bake it for 25 minutes. BUT....when the directions say 6 slices of French toast....does that mean 6 slices of bread which has been dipped in egg and milk and grilled? or do they mean just 6 slices of French bread? I think you need more info...or a trial run before you make that for guests.

I would make a fritatta in a 9 by 11 dish and also a sweet bread, or rolls or coffee cake.
    To make a fritatta for a group, I make a mix of either steamed or sauteed vegetables and grated chedder cheese and fill my dish, then mix up milk and eggs seasoned with worchestershire sauce, pour over the veggies and bake at 350 for about 45 to 55 minutes until set and browned. Then...for a ladies brunch, I refrigerate it and reheat, covered with foil, at 325 for about 30 minutes.
    For a 9 by 11 dish you will need about 6 cups of cooked veggies...perhaps chopped sauteed onion, half a red pepper chopped and sauteed, half a pound of sliced mushrooms sauteed until they give up their moisture, add perhaps some cooked carrot buttons, chopped cooked broccoli, or cauliflower....and you could also add about a cup of finely chopped ham...or bacon...or shrimp or chicken. Add 8 oz of grated sharp cheddar....toss all together, add some chopped parsley, 1/4 cup if fresh, 2 T. if dried put into the casserole and add 3 cups of milk, mixed with 7 beaten eggs and 2 tsps of worchestershire.
    Bake 375 for about an hour.
    That will cut 20 lady-like servings. Then add another 9 by 11 dish of a coffee cake or sticky rolls....and they will love it!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Yes, LindaC, and if I were doing it I'd make an egg/meat/cheese/potato kind of casserole and an apple coffee cake, but I'm not.

The OP chose the recipe because it had protein, fruit and starch all in one dish, so I'm assuming she wants one dish to prepare.

So, given that criteria, I don't think the first recipe is unusual, but I do agree that a trial run would probably be a good idea, since it's an untried recipe.

Annie

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both those who think it would be ok, & those offering other suggestions. Linda & Annie, I could do an egg/meat/cheese/potato dish & an apple coffee cake, esp. if each one will serve at least 14 women. When I think of a fritatta, I think of potatoes - how do potatoes fit into your recipe, Linda - are they part of the 6 cups of veggies?
    Also, I would want the apple coffee cake to somehow have a good amount of apples - what type of recipe calls for the most apples?

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

I am not a fan of cheese with apple either so I would not be a good one to offer advice on your original recipe. But if you have tried it and liked it I say why not?

But if you choose to do a separate apple dish along with a savory one, this one is quite good and easy.

Apple Walnut Cobbler
    Source BH&G January 1997

5 c tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    3/4 c chopped walnuts
    3/4 c sugar, divided
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 c all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 c evaporated milk
    1/3 c butter or margarine, melted
    Half & Half or light cream (Optional)

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish. Spread the apples in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c walnuts, 1/4 c sugar and the cinnamon. In medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar and baking powder.

In small bowl, combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour evenly over the apples, sprinkle with remaining walnuts.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares. If desired, serve with half & half or cream.
    9 servings

Linda

• annie1992
    11 years ago

And here is an apple coffee cake recipe that makes 2 8 inch pans, so it should serve 14 women with some left over.

Apple Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
    1-3/4 to 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples

TOPPING:

3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons cold butter
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir in apples. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.

For topping, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350ð for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool or serve warm.

Most of all, have fun!

Annie

• lindac
    11 years ago

No potatoes in that fritatta...unless you want to add some as part of the veggies....but I usually don't. My fritatta is more like a crustless quiche...using more egg and less cream!!

Don't know if this could ba called a coffee cake....but it could be and it uses lots of apples. And you can skip the "gravy" if you want it to be more coffee cake like...
    Apple Cake

4 cups chopped apples
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup raisins ( I use chopped other dried fruit like dried peaches or apricots)
    Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsps baking soda ( I like 3/4 tsps soda and 3/4 tsps BP)
    1/2 tsps salt
    1T cinnamon 1/4tsp nutmeg
    Mix dry ingredients
    2 eggs
    3/4 cups veggie oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    beat together
    1 cup chopped pecans if desired.
    Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
    Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until done�..40 to 50 minutes.
    Serve with cake gravy!

Cake Gravy
    Mix 1 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup evap milk or half and half
    1 tsp vanilla�.
    Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 5 minutes.
    Serve warm over the cake.

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much all. I'll save all the recipes. Just 2 more related questions:
    1. The 1st 2 apple recipes call for nuts (the 3rd already says optional) - since my son is allergic, I don't cook with nuts at home - are the nuts important?
    2. Annie, as Lindac's doesn't call for potatoes did you have a recipe in mind when you said egg/meat/cheese/potato casserole that I could look at?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I don't put nuts in my apple cake....because I have several people I might serve it to....who would peer closely at the cake and say "Are there nuts in there?" Not allergic, just picky!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Elba, leave the nuts out of the one I posted if you like, it just makes a streusel topping without them. My daughter can't eat nuts, so I seldom put them in anything and never have them on hand.

This recipe is really Sue's (cookingrvc), and Doucanoe made it for breakfast at Peppi's during a forum visit. it was very good, so thanks to Sue!

Hash Brown Quiche

3c frozen hash browns (Southern Style)
    1 small onion, diced
    1/3 c butter, melted
    1 cooked ham steak, diced
    8oz swiss cheese, grated
    8oz muenster cheese, grated
    2-1/4c milk or cream
    6 eggs
    Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425F. Mix together hash browns and onion
    Press into 9x13 pan . Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 25-35 minutes until golden

Reduce oven temperature to 325F. Toss together ham and cheeses, place into hot crust. Mix milk, eggs and salt and pour into crust. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Annie

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great. Thanks both again - I'm sure everyone will love whichever I pick of the egg dish & apple cake!
    p.s. I was at a nutrition seminar today & on the way home was wondering if I should switch the whole thing to hard boiled eggs, oatmeal with blueberries, & orange slices, which would be a healthy breakfast, but then I thought maybe next time?!!!

• lindac
    11 years ago

Here ya go!!....add blue berries to the cake and you are there....add some cooked broccoli to the eggs and you are realy there!!! LOL!

OATMEAL CAKE Essie Martin/Barbara Zacheis

1 1/2 cups boiling water
    1 cup oatmeal -- don't know which kind, but I used one-minute
    1 stick oleo (I used butter)
    2 eggs
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. salt

Put oatmeal and oleo in bowl, pour water over, let stand 20 min. Add
    eggs
    and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and beat. Bake at 350 for 35
    minutes in greased 8x11 glass pan.

Broiled Topping
    Mix 6 Tblsp. soft butter
    1 cup coconut
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup cream
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    Spread on warm (or not so warm) cake and brown under broiler.

Place eggs in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove the pan from heat. Cover the pan and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Then remove eggs from the hot water, run cold water over them to cool then. Then peel and chop the eggs.

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour until it forms into a ball. Slowly add the milk and stir until the sauce comes to a boil. Stir in the salt and pepper to flavor to your liking. Add the chopped hard boiled eggs into the sauce; stir until the eggs are heated.

Serve over toast or biscuits.
    Ingredients

* 8 whole Eggs
    * 2 Tablespoons Butter
    * 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
    * 2 cups Whole Milk
    * Salt And Pepper, to taste

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Personally, I really like oatmeal, so that would work well for me, LOL. I don't care for eggs cooked hard, but the oatmeal would be enough to satisfy me.

Add some yogurt with a drizzle of honey and you're all set for protein too. (grin)

Annie

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No way - now you're really confusing me :)! Actually though, this won't be a one time thing - we rotate every week, so if around 14 women come regularly, I'll be hosting approx. every few months, so I can use all these ideas, thanks!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

OK, Elba, now you've done it. I just had to have oatmeal for breakfast this morning.

How far is the church from your home and do they have kitchen facilities like an oven and a refrigerator so you don't have to transport hot food? That would be far more convenient.

Annie

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I just bought frozen blueberries at Costco for some oatmeal tomorrow morning! I'm less than 2 miles from church. Yes, they do have 2 kitchens, but we aren't meeting in them (the men use one, and another church group we rent space to uses the other at that time). It will be easy enough to transfer the hot food. The group even decided that everyone will bring their own beverages.
    I like the idea of all the veggies in Linda's fritatta-what if I used Annie's hash brown crust as a base - any forseen problems with that? That gets everything in - egg, meat, cheese, potato to serve with the apple coffee cake.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Will work fine....I was trying to cut down on the fat and carbs in the meal....but once a month butter, cheese, cream and sugar are a good thing!!

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, at least I know I have my options open!

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There were 16 women that came last Saturday. I want to make sure there is enough food so they can each have a piece of fritatta & apple coffee cake. (I will also slice up some oranges.) Questions:
    - I have a 9x13 inch shallow roasting pan I can make Linda's oven fritatta in. I bought a pkg of frozen shredded potatoes (they will make it heartier). Would you prepare the potato layer first as a bottom crust, or just mix the potatoes in? If I do mix them in, how many more eggs or other ingredients should I add? Can I make this a day ahead & reheat in the early morning, or will it taste much better if I prep the veggies the day before & make it right before serving?
    - Regarding Annie's apple coffee cake, I only have 1 8" sq baking dish, but I have another that's 10"x6". I can use both of those, which seems like the best option? (My other options are one 12x8" baking dish, or 2 8" round cake pans.)
    Thank you!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Elba, I'd probably use the 2 8 inch round pans, and then cut into wedges to serve.

As for the frittata, that's LindaC's "recipe", so I'm not messing with it, I'm sure I'd be wrong!

Annie

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks a lot Annie.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I agree on the 8 inch round pans for the coffee cake.

For the casserole, butter your 8 by 11 dish very well, and pack in the frozen and well drained shredded potatoes....grate a little onion over the top...not a lot just about 2 teaspoons....enough to flavor it. Not sure what size the "packages" of hash browns are....but make the crust about 1/2 inch thick...pack the shredded potatoes in and then bake at 375 until lightly browned.
    That's your crust.
    then fill the dish with veggies of your choice...you will need 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups of veggies to fill the dish....and I would like a mixture of lightly sauteed onions, some red peppers, either roasted or from a jar, broccoli, maybe some cauliflower...both briefly blanched to soften a little...or previously frozen and drained, sliced sauteed mushrooms, maybe carrot buttons blanched, perhaps some dried or roasted tomatoes, maybe some water chesnuts.
    Just have enough veggies to fill the dish...I always have on hand a cam of sliced mushrooms and a bag of frozen broccoli in case I am short. toss with the shredded cheese and parsley and add all to the pan.
    Then mix up the eggs and milk...because you have used a potato crust you likely won't need all the 7 eggs and 3 cups of milk....more like 2 cups of milk and 5 eggs....with 2 tsps of worchestershire.
    Pour over the stuff in the pan////bake....and cool
    I think this recipe is better cooked right after making and reheated....rather than saving and baking later.
    Good luck!!
    Linda C

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The bag is 30 oz of shredded potatoes. I did get all those veggies today - red pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, & I have onions & carrots. Sorry, I'm still confused about what I can do tomorrow vs. early Sat. a.m. Can I do the potato crust & prep the veggies tomorrow, then dump the veggies, eggs & milk in early Sat am and bake, or can I bake the whole thing tomorrow & reheat Sat am?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I would make and bake the fritatta the day before....refrigerate and reheat at 300 covered with foil until internal temp is 140 on an instant read...cut and serve.

Or....you could make and bake the crust then blamch the broccoli and carrots, sautee the onions and mushrooms and peppers and mix the eggs, milk and cheese and refrigerate it all, in the morning just dump the veggies and cheese into a bowl, mix put into the precooked crust, add the milk and egg mix and bake...375 for 45 minutes then cover and turn down the oven for another 40 minutes, because the dish and potatoes and all are very cold....
    MUCH easier to make day ahead and re-heat. I have even nuked a fritatta when I made it in a dish small enough to fit into my micro.
    Your potato crust won't be crisp, but it will be browned.

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, thanks so much - just what I wanted to hear - it will be much easier to make the whole thing later today & just reheat it in the oven while I shower in the morning. (My son is allergic to eggs- only tolerates small amounts in baked goods, so I haven't made an egg dish in probably at least 17 yrs, hence all the questions). Thanks again!

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It went great, thanks! 20 women came. I had used a bigger pan for the fritatta, so there was enough of everything. They were joking that they want me to do it every week.
    One question: I didn't use nuts for the apple cake topping, & the butter/brown sugar mixture put holes in the cake (it was still moist & tasted good). Next time should I add a quarter cup of flour or something? Thanks again!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, Elba, I usually add oatmeal to that topping, because Amanda can't have the nuts. I should have mentioned that. Ugh.

I'm glad your party went well, of COURSE they want you to do it every week. Dunkin Donuts wouldn't like it though, LOL.

Annie

• lindac
    11 years ago

And that's the problem with doing a job well....it's then yours!!
    Glad things worked well....

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks to both of you, & I'll add some oatmeal to that topping next time :)!

• lbpod
    11 years ago

If you don't get your goodies at Dunkin, how will
    the world run?

• elba1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have an answer to that. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight.
    :)