SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie72_gw

First time at canning jellies and jams

12 years ago

Hello there. I am new to canning and have been reading everything I can to learn how to do it. I really prefer to use my own recipes, so I am trying to get all the 'rules' of canning figured out. I got fruit pectin that does not require sugar to set (from Ball) because I don't like to use the copious quantities of sugar required by regular pectin. (Once I get into this a bit, I'll try no pectin recipes.)

So, here is my question. Do jams and jellies become more tart once set? I made a batch of Mango-Lime from a recipe I found online yesterday which was very good, but a bit too sweet. (I only used half the sugar and almost doubled the lime and zest.) Today, I open a jar and found it to be just perfect and not as sweet as it was out of the pot.

I also made a Lavender-Lemon jelly with White Wine. I referenced a couple recipes online to create this one. I was more cautious when adding the sugar, and it was perfect out of the pot. Today when I opened a jar it was too sour. Is that normal? I'm trying to figure out what the correlation is so I can make them end up with the flavor I want.

I ended up melting down the jelly and adding more sugar, cooking it a minute more and then re-canned and processed them. Was this okay to do? I used the same lids because they didn't appear to be damaged, and they have all sealed, but is it okay to reuse the lids?

I had no issue with either of them setting; they are jelled just fine. Even those that I re-did. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!

Laurie

Comments (11)