SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Which do you like: pedestal sinks or a vanity?

judithn
14 years ago

Hi all, we're planning a renovation of the master bathroom. Our house is about 12 years old in a development of similar 2 1/2 bathroom 4 bedroom houses. The builder did the MBR with 6 x 6 white tile and particle board oak cabinets. There is a fixed window, so the light and ventilation are so-so. Everything has been crumbling or moldy for years so, after living here over a decade we're finally redoing it.

I've collected prices for cabinets, countertops, plumbing supplies --- you name it. Now, after spending hours designing and pricing cabinets and stone I realize that if I ditch the cabinets I can save about 6k. The 109" runof vanity cabinets (w/80" countertop area and 30" linen closets) will cost about $3000 and the quartz countertop will be around $2400. I won't have to buy separate undermount sinks if I buy pedestals, another savings of about $400.

Using pedestal sinks instead of traditional cabinet vanieis is different than what you see around here in the mid-atlantic region. I also know that it's different storage. I can still keep a 36" wide towel/medicine storage floor to ceiling closet which can now be a freestanding piece of furniture, not cabinetry.

If you've done this, has it worked out for you?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals