SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yellowdog51

Old computer disks

yellowdog51
15 years ago

You guys have inspired me and I'm doing some serious cleaning in my home office. I've also bought a new computer and I'm cleaning out/organizing lots of old computer stuff.

One thing I'd like some suggestions on please:

I have literally hundreds of old 3.5 inch floppy disks. Some have old software on them (that's probably so old I can't use it anyway). Some have old files (probably a lot of WordPerfect 5.1 files - what a great word processor that was!). I have the install disks for WordPerfect 5.1 and 6.1, Lotus, MapInfo, Windows 3.1 and others.

But the bulk of it is old sets of backups. Those concern me because they would have copies of old tax returns and other personal information. I know the backups may be compressed, but I fear it's possible that they could be read.

I guess I could just hit them with a hammer (but there are so many even that would get tedious), or maybe buy a bulk eraser - but I'd probably never need the bulk eraser again.

Any ideas about how to best safely dispose of these?

Thanks.

BTW, I'm giving up many boxes of books - many of them are like-new hardbacks. From checking out this forum, I plan to try to give them to the local library or find a church to take them. Any other/better ideas on those?

Thanks again.

Comments (12)