SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

Where do A&C/Bungalow geeks hang out?

aptosca
9 years ago

Here? Somewhere else?

I'm remodeling my house and I was looking for a place where I could get advice from people more educated than me.

The thing that's a bit unique about my situation is that I'm trying to walk a line: my house is what I think of as "faux" bungalow. It is petty much a bungalow by style but was built in '48 so it has the overall style of a bungalow but not a number of the features you'd find in pre-depression builds and is pretty tiny (2br 1ba, 1008sf).

But I live in a pretty pricey area. And there's a cottage (1br 1ba 480 sf) that's non-conforming but grandfathered in. The implication of that last part is that I can't increase the size of the structures: the first requirement would be to make it conforming which means tear down the cottage and that's not going to happen.

Part of the problem is that I'm inordinately attached to my house and cottage. Possibly to the point of irrationality. In this area, a lot of people would scrape and build a MacMansion. I don't want that. I plan to keep this forever. Even if I move, between the house and the cottage, I can easily make the mortgage and taxes. And it's very easy to rent in this area to good renters (e.g., MDs, visiting scholars to the top-ten university).

So I was wondering if/where there are people that have more experience/objectivity than me that could give some sage advice?

A lot of my questions are about putting more $ and/or features into the house than make sense.

For example, in redoing the kitchens, the contractor will be stripping the walls down to the studs. But the house is plaster (rock lath, I think, but I really need to get into the attic ...) I really feel like putting plaster back up but I'm wondering if I'm being to obsessive.

I guess it comes down to that I'm not really restoring the house, I'm actually taking a '48 house and, in some ways, making it more of a '20s house (because I think that's what it always wanted to be.) Trying to walk the line between obsessive and insane. I may already be over that line.

Any sage advice? Recommended place to ask?

Comments (10)