SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Need your help on picking chandy, please

oceanna
15 years ago

You may recall that couple of weeks ago with your wonderful encouragement, I bought this DR set through CL:

Then I reupholstered the chairs to look like this (before & after):

If you need to see more of my decor there, you can look HERE.

Now it's time to pick out a chandy.

Should I go for something like this #1?

Or like this 32?

Or like this #3?

Or like this #4?

Or like this #5?

Or something like this CL find?

Or something entirely different? One consideration when picking, if it's at the same height as the current monstrocity, you look down on the top of it somewhat when you're standing.

As you can tell, I just have no idea what would be best there.

Comments (31)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

If it were me I'd snap up the one from CL. What a find at that price. I don't care for the ones that have so much bling, so no.5 would be my other choice. The other ones are too white or silvery, which doesn't go with the warm tones of your room. You'll have to be careful about scale though, so the chandelier doesn't overwhelm the room or the table.

I love what you've done with the chairs and the rooom as a whole is beautiful, but I hope you don't mind my commenting about the carpet. It really seems too small for the table and chairs and I think it actually makes the room look smaller. A darker rug that is one size larger would visually expand the room since it would blend into the floor more and that would also make it easier to pull out the chairs. I hope you don't mind mentioning this but I would love for you to have the most beautiful room possible.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ingrid, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I do know that the carpet is too small, and it will eventually be replaced. Also, the cabinet in the corner will eventually go downstairs, and there are new curtains in the planning for the window.

You're right about scale, so I wrote the CL guy to ask for dimensions. I'm just thinking that might be a bit modern for my furniture?

• Related Discussions

Help please!!! Need to pick a 42 inch FD built in refrigerator.

Q

Comments (4)
    Not sure what your budget is, but out of 60+ French Door refrigerators, the top 5 rated when you consider price, features, efficiency, and user satisfaction are: 1. Samsung RF266AERS - Rated 5 of 5 stars 2. Samsung RF267AEWP - Rated 5 of 5 stars 3. GE GFSS6KEXSS - Rated 4.9 of 5 stars 4. Samsung RFG295AARS - Rated 4.9 of 5 stars 5. GE GFSL6KEXLS - Rated 4.8 of 5 stars Here is a link that might be useful: Refrigerator Reviews
    ...See More

Your top pick for outside tankless water heater? Need help

Q

Comments (0)
    2 bath house ( 3 people ) + kitchen ( California ) Favorite Brand and how many BTUs? If my new furnace would be 90,000 BTU - what size should be the pipe they are sharing? Thank you!
    ...See More

Need help on chandy sizes

Q

Comments (3)
    Another one I've been told is half the width of the table. ETA: I should say I can't see a 17" pendant over a DR table with 10 foot ceilings not feeling lost if it were not in a grouping. I have no idea if your styles would work, but have you considered a pair of pendants over the island and perhaps a larger version of the chandelier for the DR?
    ...See More

Need help picking a rug for my porch, please.

Q

Comments (13)
    I'd go with a goldish tone rug to compliment the blue, here's an example. https://www.amazon.com/Safavieh-Natural-Collection-Herringbone-Seagrass/dp/B0044ZZJ9O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1539018367&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=herringbone+rug&psc=1
    ...See More
  • estreya
    15 years ago

The CL chandy is lovely, and a very good price. But i get the feeling from the others you linked that you're gravitating towards a little more glamor. That being the case, my favorites are 2 (32) or 5, though i'm wondering if 5 might be a little too large for the space. Evaluating dimensions will be key.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whoops! I hadn't seen my typo. "32" is indeed supposed to be "2."

Thanks Estreya. Yeah, I have always been wowed by the crystal chandies -- except I don't like cleaning them, so if someone knows a great way to do that, hooray.

The existing chandy is about 21-22" wide, and #5 is only 20.75", so shouldn't it be okay? I hadn't thought much about the height, as isn't that just a matter of adjusting the chain?

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I like both four and five. I think the crystals takes away from the arts and crafts look that works so well there.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I say put some bling in that room. It's yours to enjoy and if you walk in and the chandelier is looking dullard and you wanted glam-it, then you will never enjoy it and just as an aside, I don't think your look is total arts-and-crafts. I think you have elements thereof, but I think your home is taking on a real personality of its own, things that you liked that worked together, that you felt you wanted to be aligned with and married to and enjoy. I like your decor. Now get the chandelier that you love!

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

#2 and 5 gets my vote. The CL one is going to be too large since it's meant for a foyer.

I agree with Ingrid about the carpet. The rug you have down now takes away from the beauty of your furnishings.
    The room may look better without a carpet until you find one that fits.

• Flowerchild
    15 years ago

I like #2 and #5. I think your choice of WT will help to decide the look you are going for. Take your time and get the one you know will be right for you. I spent so much time picking out lighting for our new house and even now I still want to change a couple. There are so many options out there.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

no 5 .. love that!

or the CL one

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Weren't you looking for a light for the foyer? I would snap up the CL one if the size is right. The price certainly is. And the seller claims the light is of high quality.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm with dilly dally. That CL find would look great in your foyer!

#5 would be wonderful for your DR.

• suero
    15 years ago

#5 might be too long for your area. I can't tell from the picture how high your ceiling is above the part of the existing chandelier, but it looks to me that when I scale #5 image to be the same size as your existing fixture, #5 will hang down too low.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! Jejvtr, especially thank you for looking on your own.

I spent all night up looking at lights (heartburn so bad I couldn't sleep again). I did rule out some because of size. I read where it says the width should be 1/2 of your table, and my table is only 40". The CL one is too big by far, and I really don't like its shape for my foyer.

I'm thinking that if I can't keep the rug, which I love, and which fits the room (a bigger one won't work because I can't lift the legs of the armoire and I tried it without it but didn't like it), maybe I should go back to my old table and sell my new one instead. I absolutely love having one rug in the LR and one in the DR... it separates the spaces and makes the area look larger to me. And I love that rug in particular -- and enjoy it repeatedly throughout the day. So maybe it's the table that is wrong. I still have my old one... and all I was really looking for in the beginning was chairs for it. I was going to sell my old table, but maybe I've made a mistake.

Looks like #5 is the winner here? I did find one other one I liked and it's this one. Here's the pic:

Do you like that one?

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

That one is my favorite. But it's a whole different vibe from the others. Do you have the dimensions on it, will it work? Good luck, it's great!

• wisrose
    15 years ago

Oceana, so the rug isn't for everybody, big deal, you love it...that makes it *your* style. Keep it and love it and enjoy it every day :) It's funny ya know when so many people say get what you love but then they say not good. Can't win. I am thinking if you bring some of the rug colors up on to the walls or other decor it will help make the rug fit better. Right now it is really the only color in the room besides the chairs (gorgeous)but still under the table. So I think that is why it seems to stick out, it doesn't look bad, it just needs some friends.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mpwdmom!

It's 23.5"w x 26"h. It should be 20" to be perfect, but I think it's close enough. I really loved #4 but it is 26.5" wide and that's too much.

I like the graceful silhouette on this one, the ruffled shades, the tone of the metal, and the fact that it takes 5 60-watt bulbs. I also like that the lights project downward onto the table. I have a dimmer for soft moods, but I also work crafts on that table where I really need to see what I'm doing. Right now I have my chop saw up there as I work on my entry hall and good lighting would really help. The light I have is just so-so. It's also a plus if I don't have to clean crystals, much as I love crystal chandys.

So I'm pretty tempted to spring for this, even though my budget wishes I could find a $40 thing in eBay. I'm still weighing this against a crystal one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a closeup of it

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I'm a sucker for anything with crystals. Love the reflection, twinkering that they give.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

I have a similar light and wouldn't buy another one like that; I don't like seeing the bulbs when I'm seated.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

oceanna, I'm so clueless about chandys - I really don't know what it is, but I couldn't pick the right one for a particular space if my life depended on it. I must have had a traumatic experience with one in a past life lol! So, although I like the last one you just posted, don't listen to me... ;-)

About the rug, though....I know you love it, but here's a thought if you do decide to put a larger one in - what about using a small car jack to raise the cabinet an inch (make sure you have someone on the other side balancing it!) & then you can easily slip a rug underneath. I so often end up getting a bug up my rear & I want to move heavy furniture NOW - forget about waiting for help - so I've figured out every trick in the book, I swear!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"I'm thinking that if I can't keep the rug, which I love, and which fits the room (a bigger one won't work because I can't lift the legs of the armoire and I tried it without it but didn't like it), maybe I should go back to my old table and sell my new one instead. I absolutely love having one rug in the LR and one in the DR... it separates the spaces and makes the area look larger to me. And I love that rug in particular -- and enjoy it repeatedly throughout the day. So maybe it's the table that is wrong. I still have my old one... and all I was really looking for in the beginning was chairs for it. I was going to sell my old table, but maybe I've made a mistake."

Take a deep breath and have some tea. You are suffering from decorating overload. That happens when we try to rush things. The world is not going to run out of chandys. Or rugs. There is plenty of time to mull things over. There will be more eBay and CL gems. Live with the table. Enjoy the rug. Page through decorating magazines for enjoyment, not shopping decisions. Then after you've had time to refresh your outlook and not get panicky about the table situation, or the rug issue, make your decisions. And don't allow yourself to go over your budget. A beautiful chandy is not going to bring joy in your life if you have to eat beans and pasta four days a week to pay for it. (This is metaphorical.)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wisrose, sorry, our posts crossed. It's just the size of the rug that is wrong; it should be bigger for that table.

Choloe WMom, me too. :)

Gracie, that's very helpful input. Don't know that I'd want to look up into bare bulbs either.

Moonkat, interesting that you say that as I was just thinking about that last night, wondering if two car jacks under the front might do the trick - lol! Of course, the fear is hearing that old antique make crunch noises. So it's a thought, but I'm a bit nervous about it. The thing is in good shape but it is hand crafted and over 100 years old. You've done that? With a car jack all by yourself?

Good advice, Dilly.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

... although I'm not in a panic. I'm just retired so have more time to spend on these things than most of you, and I'm having fun putting it all together.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

just got home from a meeting and want to play! Definitely the wrought iron with crystals, # 5 I think. It would be soo awesome. I think a problem with the crystal chandelier you have there now is that it is colorless,not just the shape, in my thinking. You get great drama with the dark metal and some bling, which play nicely together.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cooperbailey. I'll take another look at #5 and some other similar ones. With them, I wouldn't get light in my eyes, as Gracie pointed out.

• estreya
    15 years ago

According to a quick google search, an easy way to clean crystal chandys is to put a thick layer of newspapers down beneath the area (to catch drips), spray or dip each crystal in your favorite glass cleaner and literally allow them to drip dry. My guess is that it would be best to do this fairly often, since less schmutz would make for less gunk.

Has anyone tried this method?

I might be inclined to try dipping the crystals in a little pot of diluted vinegar instead of glass cleaner. If you did this, i would recommend a sheet of plastic under the newspaper just to make sure your gorgeous table (the new one or the old!) doesn't get spoiled.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Estreya. Yes it would be wise to protect our tables from the drips.

I'm also wondering if anyone here has taken their steam cleaners to them? That might work very well and quickly, but I'm a bit nervous about any water around electricity. Seems it might be smart to turn off the breaker and leave it off for a few hours after?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

"Has anyone tried this method?"

No, but my BF did. He used Windex and it ruined the brass. I've heard about that method, and someone must have told him about it so he tried it. I had been after him to clean the dang thing for a long while. I even offered to bring one of my microfiber cloths over, and rub each crystal one by one to clean it and make the chandy look fabulous again. I think he never cleaned it because he says he thinks it's ugly so he didn't take care of it. It came with the place.

Now, last time I was over there I noticed it was dimming all the time. I looked, and the plastic, fake candle, tubes was melted and blackened on two of the light sockets. It is shorting out now. I do not know if it is from getting Windex into the socket or wiring and causing the arcing,but I suspect it is.

So, IMHO I would not spray down a chandelier to clean it.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Question... on that hanging down fixture that I like, couldn't I just put chandy bulbs in it and then it wouldn't be hard on the eyes? Less light, but as much as with a chandy, right? Or is that a stupid idea? Still looking at chandys.

Hmmm... I found this... and the comments below are interesting...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to clean a chandelier

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

#4 I also like the last one you posted (not in the opening post) but I'm not sure about the down lights in a formal dining room. I do like that chandy. I have downlights in my nook chandy and use the large rounded bulbs...informal. They don't blind you when looking at them like a reg bulb. They wouldnt be good in a dining room IMO

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

oops, I thought you were talking about replacing the one over your foyer, since you can see the top of it from your sitting area. And I was talking about that one, you probably thought what did she drink at that meeting???
    then I still like #5 and then #2 with the addition of CL find. But I still like #5 for your foyer if you are changing it!