SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seagrass_gw

Too many jars of roasted red peppers...

I'm sure many of you can relate - you're in the market, you don't know if you have it, you buy another one just to be sure.

Well, my "just to be sure" category winner is (ta da): ROASTED RED PEPPERS

I have 5 jars in all - 2 with big, fat garlic cloves in them.

Any suggestions??

seagrass

Comments (21)

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My friend's recipe was the Pennsylvania winner of a national chicken contest. It's a favorite of ours.

Spanish Chicken Thighs

8 broiler-fryer chicken thighs, skinned
    4 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
    2 medium onions, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, halved
    1/2 cup raisins
    3/4 cup dry white wine

1. In large nonstick frypan, place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and heat to medium temperature. Add onions and garlic and saute about 3 minutes. Place mixture in blender container with red peppers, salt and pepper; blend until pureed.
    2. In same frypan, place remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown.
    3. Pour red pepper puree over chicken; add wine. Lower heat to low temperature; cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.

Makes 4 servings.

Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Blend with oil and vinegar to make a salad dressing.

Mix into sour cream for a veggie or cracker dip.

Slather over crostini.

Make a simple chicken or veg broth, blend in some roasted red peppers, then some cream to make a creamy red pepper soup.

• Related Discussions

Another Question about Roasted Red Pepper Spread

Q

Comments (8)
    Linda, Yes I did leave chunks in the pepper spread, almost a 1/3 of the batch I chopped up, the rest I pureed. Duh, I didn't even think of that. I guess I'm just paranoid because I know I weighed 9 cubanel (sp?) red peppers at 3.3 lbs and then went to the store and bought more red peppers there. I can't remember if I weighed them or what the weight was, but I know I weighed the tomatoes. (smacks head) Sigh, and I know I won't be comfortable unless I know EXACTLY what I did. What a pain...I have 7 beautiful, sealed jars that I want to put on my shelf or give one or two to someone, but I won't take them out of the fridge because I can't remember what I did. Oh well, maybe I'll make some hummus and bring it into work. Lesson learned. It sucks getting old and forgetting things. :-(
    ...See More

Canning recipe for roasted red peppers?

Q

Comments (15)
    Diane, as mentioned before, everything is a dollar. With your sense of humor I thought you'd appreciate the fact that I can no longer let me husband accompany me into a DT. As he places each item on the belt he asks, "how much is this?" The first time the clerk responds, "everything's a dollar." With subsequent items, the clerk gets annoyed, and seedpapa thinks he's being very funny. It is just soooo annoying. Diane, included in the junk part of Dollar Tree is a lot of stuff aimed at kiddos. Brace yourself. I generally steer clear of the food aisle, so thanks SGM for the heads up. I'll have to stop in and look for red peppers. I have also purchased wonderful red peppers, imported from Italy, in Big Lots, on a catch as catch can basis. They aren't a dollar, but they are cheaper than Wal Mart. Often, they are the kind packed in oil, a method not available to us home canners. Tasty nonetheless. Dawn, we drove by the DT distribution center last night on our way back from Houston. Once again I had seedpapa honk at you. I told him I knew you must be getting tired of all this late night and early morning honking. Hopefully, this will be the last trip to Houston for a long while, but I will be going to Dallas next week. Keep your ears out! Seedmama
    ...See More

Roasted Red Peppers

Q

Comments (13)
    Roasting peppers really is easy. I find blackening them on a grill easiest especially if I'm doing a large quantity for freezing. But you can also blacken peppers on top of your gas stove. Just place peppers right on grid, turn on burner and turn occasionally until blackened. I take them off the grill and place in either a paper bag or a plastic bag and leave to steam for 5 to 10 minutes. Once they are cool enough to handle the blackened skin just rubs off. If freezing just core pepper and cut into strips and freeze on a cookie sheet. When frozen, package in freezer bags or containers. If using immediately or within a few days, I drizzle with olive oil and fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper. A little fresh lemon juice and some fresh chopped herbs is also an option. Because of the danger of botulism, I prefer to take peppers out of the freezer and dress them with oil and fresh garlic as needed rather than keep them stored in the fridge in oil. Ann
    ...See More

Jkom51's BIL's Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

Q

Comments (4)
    What's not to like? I would expect that jarred red peppers was better than fresh because fresh would have more moisture. What did you do with the other pie crust?...I guess what I am asking did that recipe for the filling make 2 quiche or one? Linda C
    ...See More
  • shaun
    16 years ago

Ooooh Rachel Ray just made a good lookin dip out of roasted red peppers. She put it on burgers but said you could serve it with other things.

2 roasted red peppers, drained
    1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, a generous handful
    1/4 cup 10 to 12 pitted kalamata olives

Zip it all in a food processor until smooth.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Ohhhh Christine, that sauce sounds sooo good! Thanks for posting.

Beverly

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Christine, that recipe does look great. One question, when do you add the raisins and olives?

-Robin

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

cook them a bit, add some cream, cracked black pepper, salt if needed, use a hand blender to get it nice and smooth and use for gemeli or ravioli or other macaroni. i especially love roasted pepper gravy over lobster ravioli!
    top crab cakes with it or even pan fried scallops. even a nice quiche or a fancy schmancy omlette.

you could even make a nice roasted red pepper soup.

maryanne

• marleesmom
    16 years ago

Grill some zucchini, sliced onions, squash,etc. Layer on toasted ciabatta or foccacia with roasted peppers, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and pesto. Yummy summer dinner sandwich.

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Whoa, the National Chicken Council messed up the recipe, LOL!
    I found another site where it's correct.
    Oh, I should mention that I never make eight thighs. I make five because that's what fits in my pan. And the sauce is so good I want more of it in proportion to the chicken.

Spanish Chicken Thighs

Ingredients:

* 8 broiler-fryer chicken thighs, skinned
    * 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    * 2 medium onions, sliced
    * 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, halved
    * 1/2 cup raisins
    * 3/4 cup dry white wine

Directions:
    In large nonstick frypan, place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and heat to medium temperature. Add onions and garlic and saute about 3 minutes. Place mixture in blender container with red peppers, salt and pepper; blend until pureed. In same frypan, place remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown. Pour red pepper puree over chicken. Sprinkle olives and raisins over chicken; add wine. Lower heat to low temperature; cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Makes 4 servings.

Here is a link that might be useful: nuritional info and printer-friendly link for Spanish Chicken Thighs

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

I made this recipe because I was trying to replicate RRP soup like I had at a restaurant. I didn't want to roast the peppers but I did find a jar of jar TJs Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Dip that Jessica sent me in the pantry (the closest TJs is 7.5 hours). When I don't have TJ's dip I substitute a jar of Roasted Red Peppers. It's not as good but still good.

My new recipe creation:

TJ's Roasted Red Pepper Bisque
    INGREDIENTS:
    Â 1 jar TJÂs Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Dip
    Â 1/2 onion, finely chopped
    Â 2 Tablespoons butter
    Â 1 sprig fresh rosemary
    Â 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    Â 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
    Â 1/2 cup heavy cream
    Â salt
    PREPARATION:
    1. Melt the butter in a deep saucepan. Add the onion and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes. Discard the rosemary.
    2. Add the peppers and stock to pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the soup to a food processor or blender and purée.
    3. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cream and season with salt.

*Note to self...next time in Atlanta, go to TJ's and load up on dip.

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

We love this recipe from allrecipes:

Antipasto Squares

INGREDIENTS
    2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
    1/4 pound thinly sliced boiled ham
    1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
    1/4 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
    1/4 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami
    1/4 pound thinly sliced pepperoni sausage
    1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into thin strips
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
    Unroll one package of crescent roll dough, and cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Layer the ham, provolone cheese, Swiss cheese, salami, pepperoni, and red peppers, on top of the dough.
    In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly, and stir in the parmesan cheese and black pepper. Pour 3/4 of this mixture over the peppers. Unroll the second package of dough, and place over the top of the peppers. Brush with the remaining egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
    Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove foil, and bake another 10 to 20 minutes, or until dough is fluffy and golden brown. Cut into squares. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Add a jar to some hummus, stuff them in chicken breasts with goat cheese, place on top of chicken and broil with some greek seasonings and cheese.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Yum, lots of recipes to cut and paste here, thanks everybody! Here are some more.

Marilyn's Ziti in Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce

8 ounces ziti pasta
    2 red bell peppers; roasted (or 16 oz. jar)
    1 onion; chopped
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    2 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup heavy cream (I think you could easily use half & half in place of the cream.)
    Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
    1 pound mushrooms
    1 red bell pepper
    1 orange or yellow bell pepper
    4 green onions; sliced thin
    1 cup fresh grated Parmesan

Pre-heat oven to 350°.

Cook ziti pasta in boiling, salted water as directed on package; drain reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Roast the 2 red bell peppers as instructed in "Vegetables" section, remove skin and chop. Or use a 1 pound jar; drain and chop.
    In a medium saucepan, cook onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender. Stir in roasted bell pepper and garlic for one minute. Add cream and bring to a simmer; carefully puree in a blender until smooth (vent lid to allow steam to escape). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Slice mushrooms, red and orange bell pepper (1/4-inch slices) and add to a large skillet along with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until peppers are soft and liquid is mostly evaporated (about 10 minutes); stirring occasionally. Stir in pureed sauce, ziti, green onions, reserved pasta water and 2/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if desired. Bake until hot and bubbly, 25 minutes.
    *Recipe inspired by Baked Ziti with Mushrooms, Peppers and Parmesan; Gourmet Magazine.
    Marilyn

AVOCADO & PRAWN APPETIZER

I also have an appetizer that I make has a first course at a dinner party that has slices of avacado laid between prawns on a bed of boston/butter lettuce and drizzled with a mayonnaise based sauce flavoured with minced roasted red pepper and garlic. Ann T.

Woodie, The dressing is very simple. If you are using the roasted red pepper, then you need to roast the pepper first. Otherwise just use some hot red pepper flakes. This recipe was adapted from a Australian Womens Weekly cookbook.

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red pepper
    OR
    hot red pepper flakes to taste (1/4 tsp)
    1 clove of garlic finely minced
    salt and pepper to taste

Place a lettuce leaf on a salad plate, lay slices of avocado on leaf, and place cooked, cold large shrimp/prawns in between each slice of avocado. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with some chopped chives.

DLynn's Roasted Red Pepper & Artichoke Tapenade

1 - 7oz jar Roasted red peppers, drained
    1 - 6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
    1/2 c minced fresh parsley
    1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
    1/3 c olive oil
    1/4 c capers, drained
    3-4 cloves garlic
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    Combine all in food processor and pulse until well blended. Can be made in advance. Serve with crackers.
    Also good with a little more olive oil and a little more blended as a sauce for pasta.

Doucanoe Bow Tie Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper and Cream Sauce
    Source: Cooking Light May 2006

1 pound uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    *1 (12-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and coarsely chopped*
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 cup (4 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
    Thinly sliced fresh basil (optional)
    Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
    Place bell pepper mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Return bell pepper mixture to pan; cook over low heat until warm. Combine half-and-half and tomato paste in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir tomato mixture into bell pepper mixture, stirring with a whisk until well combined. Stir in ground red pepper.
    Combine pasta and bell pepper mixture in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup cheese, tossing to coat. Spoon 1 1/3 cups pasta into each of 6 bowls; top each with about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Garnish with basil, if desired.
    Yield: 6 servings
    *My note: I roasted my own red peppers, used 3 of them in the recipe.
    Linda

Roasted Pepper and Garlic Turkey Burgers

I am a huge turkey burger fan, and this recipe is a family favorite. The
    red pepper and garlic help overcome the two major complaints people have
    with turkey burgers (dry and tasteless) by adding oodles of flavor and
    keeping the meat moist. Serve these burgers with Aioli or your favorite
    herb mayonnaise, Romaine lettuce leaves, and kaiser rolls or grilled
    sourdough bread.

2 pounds ground turkey
    1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
    6 minced garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons minced onion
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the grill. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Gently
    pat the mixture into eight 4-inch patties. Grill over medium high heat for
    10-12 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once partway through.

Makes 8 servings.

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
    Cooking Time: 15 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutes

LUIGIS GARLIC BREAD

1 stick butter, room temp
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon basil

1 lb loaf French bread, halved lengthwise

Roasted Red Pepper (jar or fresh)
    Provolone Cheese slices

Combine butter, garlic, oregano and basil and spread on bread.
    Preheat broiler. Broil until golden brown and edges are crisp, careful not to burn.

Preheat oven to 375º
    Place roasted red pepper slices on bread and Provolone slices on top.
    Heat in the oven until cheese is melted. Slice crosswise with serrated knife.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so very much. I needed inspiration and I knew I could find it here!!

seagrass

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Christine, thanks you for the correction of the recipe[e. i did a google search of my own and all I could find was the same recipe, without the olives and raisins, again and again.

Lots of great recipes here!!

Robin

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

This is a great recipe from our good friend Sharon/Chase. Thanks to her post several years ago I do a lot of them on the grill and freeze for future use/recipes.

David

Roasted Red Pepper Soup
    Source: Sharon(chase)

4 Red Bell Peppers,roasted, seeded and peeled
    2 TBSP Butter (or margarine)
    1 Red onion,chopped
    2 Garlic cloves,minced
    4 cups Chicken broth
    1 TBSP Lemon Juice
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice. Process in food processoe until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place back on stove until ready to serve.

NOTE: To roast the peppers place whole peppers under the broiler or on a hot grill. Turn peppers until blackened on all sides. Place hot peppers in a plastic bag and tie shut. Whne the peppers have cooled completely remove from the bag. Remove all the skin and seeds.

• obxgina
    16 years ago

This is really good on fresh baked bread!
    Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

-8 ounces roasted red bell peppers
    -5 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
    -1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    - 1/2 cup fresh basil
    - 5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
    - 3 cloves garlic, quartered lengthwise
    - 2/3 cup roasted pine nuts
    - 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    - 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    · In a blender or food processor, purée peppers until they are smooth and well blended (If a blender or processor is not available, chop into fine bits and manually blend). Shred cheese and chop nuts into bits, blending thoroughly and add to peppers. Chop basil into tiny pieces and combine with peppers, cheese and nuts.
    · Add oil and vinegar to combined ingredients. Press garlic and combine with other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    · Refrigerate and use within several days or freeze to keep longer.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I'm assuming these are Italian Style Roasted Peppers.

Nobody put in " PEPPERS and EGGS " Shame on Youal.

OR !!! Everyone's Favorite:

SAUSAGE and PEPPERS:

While you boil some Sausage ( About 10 minutes )or
    Micro Wave some 2 inch pieces for about 3 minutes or
    until almost cooked. ( Longer for a large Batch )

Saute some Tomatoes and Onions in a little water, add some spices , like
    Garlic Powder,
    A pinch of Cloves and Oregano, black pepper,
    Some Tabasco if you like hot.
    1/2 teaspoon of Basil and a little water.

When the Onions are almost soft, put the sausages into this mess and
    Simmer for about 15 minutes. With a lid.
    Add whatever water is needed. Spice and salt to taste.

I also add some Chicken Soup Base.But I put that in first before I Salt to Taste.

ANOTHER WAY !!!

An alternative method is to brown all the Sausages in a large fry pan,
    add all the ingredients mentioned and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the onions are cooked.

LOU

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I love macaroni and cheese (homemade, of course!); my DH is not so fond of it. One day I whirled some canned roasted red peppers in the blender with the milk, then made the sauce as usual. My DH loved it! The little flecks of red made it more festive-looking, as well.

I used the small-sized glass jar for 1 lb pasta.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Here's another one for you.

Aglio e olio w Red Peppers.

This was a recipe I Posted a while back. Substitude with the Roasted Peppers.

Hi Everyone: I did the Red bell Pepper thing tonight
    I simmered a sliced red bell pepper and 5 Garlic cloves chopped, in 1/2 cup of Olive Oil.
    Threw in a 1/2 cup water with a teaspoon of Chicken flavored Soup Base.
    Loaded it with Chopped Parsley, Basil Flakes ( the top fell off, so I added a little more Basil )
    pinch of Oregano, onion powder , Black pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper.
    Simmered till peppers were soft.

Meanwhile , I cooked 1/2 pound of spaghetti #9, drained it and put the pepper mess on this and mixed it.
    While the spaghetti was hot I beat an egg in 1/2 cup of water and dumped this on top and mixed it good,
    with some grated Parmesan Cheese and salt to taste. Added more Cheese when served.
    It was delicious!!!!!!!!! You have to try it.
    LOU

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - I came back to check this thread again. I think I'll have to buy some more roasted red peppers LOL!

seagrass

• lorijean44
    16 years ago

I've made many of the recipes posted here - I love roasted red peppers. Sometimes I get them in jars, sometimes I roast them myself. Either way, they're a great addition to so many things!

Here's another recipe. It's Giada deLaurentiis' recipe to which I add toasted pine nuts. It makes for a nice little side dish or appetizer on crostini:

{{gwi:1564869}}

If roasting your own peppers use:

2 red bell peppers
    1 yellow bell pepper
    1 orange bell pepper

Preheat the broiler. Cover a heavy baking sheet with foil. Arrange the bell peppers on the baking sheet and broil until the skins brown and blister, turning the peppers occasionally, about 20 minutes. Enclose the peppers in a resealable plastic bag and set aside until cooled to room temperature. Peel and seed the peppers.

1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 Tablespoons drained capers
    6 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

Cut peppers into 1/2 inch thick strips. In a medium bowl, toss the pepper strips, olives, oil, capers, basil, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper to combine. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, and serve. (The salad can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

I also add a handful of toasted pine nuts. I love the texture and flavor they add.

Lori