SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Jkom51's BIL's Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

jessyf
16 years ago

This was requested on the Yom Kippur Breakfast thread. I brought it to our friend's house last night and it was demolished.

Note: I use my food pocessor for the crust (I process in two batches) AND for the red peppers and then the feta, and I'm careful not to overprocess. The recipe, like all quiches, is very adaptable - note in the link that Jkom uses fresh red peppers, and I switched to jarred roasted.

Jkom51Âs BILÂs Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

(1) Double Pate Brisee crust from Silver Palate for a 9x13 pan:

Ingredients:

3 C Flour

1 tsp Salt

pinch Sugar

1 1/3 stick butter, chilled

6 Tbsp Shortening, chilled

1/2 C ice water

Sift the flour, sugar and salt together into a bowl; add butter and shortening and cut them into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is like course meal. Sprinkle on and blend in enough ice water to make a workable dough, mixing water in lightly with a fork. Turn dough out onto your work surface and, using the heel of your hand, smear the dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape up the smeared dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Unwrap dough, place on floured work surface, and pound it a few times with your rolling pin to soften it. Roll out 1/8-inch thick, or to desired thickness. Drape dough over quiche pan or tart pan, ease it into the pan without stretching, pat into place, trim off excess, and crimp edge if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and prick the bottom and sides well with a fork. Line the pan with foil or wax paper; fill with beans, rice, or pastry weights to weight the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the dough is just beginning to color. Remove from oven, remove weights and lining, and cool slightly.

(2) Filling

Drop oven temp to 375F.

1 small bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts (or onions species your choice)

1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped

1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers

8 oz feta

Six eggs

1 C Half & half

1 Tbsp herb seasoning such as savory, thyme, Italian herb mix

Fresh ground pepper (there is enough salt in the feta)

Saute scallions in butter/oil your choice until slightly wilted. Add spinach and further cook until wilted. Remove from heat and cool, move to a large bowl. Chop roasted red peppers and feta and add to the bowl. Mix in the eggs, Half and Half, and herbs/pepper. Pour filling into the baked crust, and bake 30 - 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven, serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread/inspiration

Comments (4)