SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_yfingernails

Feta or bleu cheese...........

dirt_yfingernails
16 years ago

recipes anyone? They are two of my favorite cheeses.

Comments (21)

• chase_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are a few of my favourite feta and bluecheese recipes.

Sharon's Spanikopita

16 Oz Phyllo Dough Thawed in the fridge For 24 Hours
    10 Oz Frozen Spinach Thawed and of all liquid
    3/4 Lb Feta Cheese
    1/2 Lb Cottage Cheese - About 1 Cup, Pressed And Drained
    1/4 lb Cream Cheese Softened
    3 Eggs
    1/4 Cup Fresh Dill Chopped Fine
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg
    3/4 Cup Butter Melted

In large bowl combine all ingredients except phylo and butter.

Working with one sheet of phylo at a time, brush with melted butter and cut in 5 strips lengthwise. Place 1 spoonful of~
    mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom, fold the bottom piece up over the filling and then fold up into triangles. Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up , to the right ,up etc.

These can be made ahead and frozen for up to three months.

When ready to cook:
    Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden.Serve warm

Leek And Stilton Soup

1 Tbsp butter
    1 shallot chopped finely
    1 cup leeks thinly sliced
    1 cup potato diced
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 to 1 1/2 cups cream
    salt and pepper to taste
    pinch nutmeg
    few drops lemon juice
    2 oz Stilton or other blue cheese

Melt butter, add shallot and leek cooking until soft but not browned. Heat the chicken stock and add to the leeks, add the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are just tender. Cool and puree in the food processor. Separately heat and reduce the cream. Stir in the blended leek mixture.
    Bring to a gentle boil. Add seasonings and lemon juice. Pour into bowls and top each with 1/2 ounce crumbled Stilton. ( I add the cheese to the actual soup)

Pears In Port With Stilton Whipped Cream

1/4 Cup crumbled Stilton or any good blue cheese
    1/2 Cup plus 2 Tbsp whipping cream
    4 ripe but firm pears
    1/4 Cup butter
    1/4 Cup sugar
    1 Cup tawny port

With a fork mash cheese with 2TBSp of the whipping cream, don't make a paste you want small but visible pieces.. Beat remaining cream until soft peaks form. Fold the cheese mixture into the whipped cream. The cream should be stiff with cheese pieces visible. Refrigerate until ready to use.
    Wash pears but do not peel. Slice in 4 slices length wise. Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute pears until lightly browned on both sides.Remove pears and keep warm.

Add sugar and port to the pan. Stir and dissolve the sugar, loosen the brown bits, bring to a boil. Reduce to a carmel sauce ( be careful the port could ignite!)~

Return pears to the pan , coat with the carmel. Serve warm with a dollop of the Stilton whipped cream!~

Note: the pears can be made ahead and reheated in a 350 oven for 10 minutes, turning once.

Notes: Stand the pear stem side up then slice a bit of the side, just enough so the slice will sit flat when cooked. Look at the pear and decide how "thick" it is from the edge you just trimmed to the seed pod.
    Cut a slice half that thick, then slice another but avoid getting the pod. The two slices are cut from the same side of the pear. Turn and repeat on the other side. Result should be 4 slices roughly the same thickness and same shape

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

The best summer recipe that I have had and love to make is so easy. Peel and slice several tomatoes, peppers and red onions. Then layer them to make a pretty presentation, make a dressing of oil, red wine vinegar and oragno and salt and pepper. When layering the salad cover each layer with the dressing and crumbled feta cheese. This is best made a head of time and letting it mingle in the refrigerator.

Stacie

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Lentil and Feta Salad

Q

Comments (3)
    I think this sounds delicious, and it is a welcome change from the heavy recipes loaded with calories, and lacking fiber usually seen on this forum. I will definitely try it (though will cut back on the oil!)
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Bleu Cheese Mini Tart

Q

Comments (12)
    These are wonderful. Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table ==================== Source: Williams-Somona 8 oz tart pastry dough (or frozen puff pastry) 3 oz spinach or Swiss Chard 1 egg 2/3 cups heavy cream 3/4 cup freshly grated Emmenthaler Cheese 1/4 teasoon freshly grated nutmeg salt and pepper 3 oz Blue Cheese (Roquefort, Gorgonzola,etc.) 2 Tablespoons pine nuts . If using tart pastry, prepare the dough and refrigerator 30 minutes before you are eady to roll it out. If using commercial puff pastry defrost in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Preheat an oven to 425°F. Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Plunge the spinach or Swiss Chard into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Immediately drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to halt the cooking. Drain again, pressing against the greens to force out as much water as possible; set aside. Break the egg into a bowl. Add the cream, Emmenthaler cheese, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste and beat with a fork until completely blended. Coarsley chop the spinach or chard and add it to the bowl; stir well. On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out as thinkly as possible. Sprinkle the Roquefort or other blue cheese evently over the dough. With a fluted pastry cutter about 1 1/4 inches in diameter, cut out 18 dough rounds. Use the rounds to line 18 individual tartlet pans or wells in tartlet trays or miniature muffin pans. If using the former, arrange the lines pans on a large baking sheet. Fill each lined pan with some of the egg mixture and scatter a few pine nuts on top. Place the tarlets in the oven and bake until the filling sets and the crust is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve Warm.
    ...See More

salad recipe

Q

Comments (17)
    This was my dad's favorite Holiday salad.His mother use to make it for him every Christmas.A little different but so good. MaMaw's Fruit Salad Dressing Make this first or it can be made ahead of time and refrigerated in a covered container for several days. In a medium sauce pan mix together: 1/4 C. granulated sugar 2/3 C. cold water 1/4 C. white vinegar 3 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring Dash of salt Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.Cook 5 minutes,reduce heat. Whisk 4 egg yolks until smooth and creamy.Slowly add the egg yolks to the liquid mixture,whisking constantly until the eggs are incorporated into the mixture.Cook 5 more minutes,whisking constantly.Set aside and cool to room temperature.Mixture will thicken slightly as it cools. Mix together in a large bowl: 4 C. slightly ripe bananas,diced.Extra ripe ones don't work in this salad. 4 C. Golden Delicious apples,peeled and diced.You can use any crisp,sweet apple. 3-4 stalks celery,chopped in small pieces. 1 C. broken pecan or walnut pieces Pour the dressing over the above ingredients and mix well so the fruit won't turn dark.Chill several hours before serving.You can also add pineapple chunks or tidbits,miniature marshmallows,maraschino cherries if desired but it is wonderful just as it is.
    ...See More

Feta, please explain

Q

Comments (22)
    Funny you say it was like cream cheese, because we just had the same experience with some I bought recently. It was by Ezra Dairy. It came in a blue tub with the brine and the cheese suspended in it on a plastic older. We are Greek and found it to not be feta-like at all, but it was still good. It was like cream cheese, not crumbly at all. I mixed it into a salad and it almost dissolved into the dressing. It was very good actually, but not at all like traditional feta. If I remember correctly, it was cow's milk.
    ...See More
  • dreamhouse1
    16 years ago

I'm Greek, so feta any way is good. My mom always had a divided 'relish' dish on the table. One side feta cheese and the other side marinated Kalamata olives, so we ate feta with everything. It was almost like a condiment, just a little 'salty' bite to go along with whatever we were having.

One of may favorite ways to eat feta - especially in the summer - is a cold penne pasta salad with halfed cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, grilled chicken, sliced red/orange peppers, lots of feta, oregano, olive oil, and a little balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I buy the 'olive' mix from our HEB which also has Spanish olives along with the Greek and marinated feta. Great shortcut!

As for bleu cheese...well I'll eat bleu cheese on dirt! My DH is always amazed at how much bleu cheese I can eat...LOVE IT! Melt a piece on a grilled chicken breast and top with grilled onions. Make a spread for apples and pears with creamed cheese, bleu cheese, a little milk and some toasted walnuts. Great with bosc pears!

I have a recipe for bleu cheese puffs that are super easy and so SO good. When I get a minute I will look for it and post it. You can actually make them ahead and keep them in the freezer for whenever you need some.

I'm looking forward to the posts on this one too!

• shaun
    16 years ago

Oooooh my father who was a very very good cook, used to melt butter and blue cheese and use that as a sauce for filet mignons. Mighty fine eatin!

• lindac
    16 years ago

I'm the blue cheese queen here....but am not at home with all my recipes.
    If you can wait I have recipes for soup, lots of salads, spreads and dip, casseroles and appetisers.
    Linda C

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I make a pasta with bleu cheese that my mother taught me. Her Italian art teacher taught her, and called it (and I really don't know how to spell it, so I'll spell it phonetically) Pasta Shuta (or shoota). It's really a great way to use up leftover chicken, although I leave out the chicken. I'll list ingredients, but it's very flexible. The only things I always use are the pasta, bleu cheese, olive oil and garlic - the rest is bonus

Spaghetti or other pasta
    1 good size chunk of bleu cheese (1/4 pound? one of those wedges, whatever that weighs - or to taste) crumbled up
    1 or more cloves of garlic, to taste
    extra virgin olive oil
    1 or 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
    parsely, chopped, as much as you like
    left over cooked chicken, chopped into bite size pieces. (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta till al dente, and drain away the water. Add the olive oil and bleu cheese to the still hot pasta, and mix till the cheese has melted. Add the other ingredients, mix and serve. I often add chopped up spinach, chopped up mushrooms, whatever I have on hand. The one thing to keep in mind is that the goodies (the added ingredients) tend to sink to the bottom while mixing, so when serving try to reach down to the bottom of the pan to make sure you get the goodies.

Sally

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Oh, yum! I want to try every single thing posted!

This isn't a very original use, but it sure beats the dickens out of anything you can buy...

BLEU CHEESE SALAD DRESSING

4 oz. bleu cheese
    1-1/3 c. mayonnaise
    3/4 c. sour cream
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
    1/3 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper

Crumble cheese into bowl. Add other ingredients, whisking until well-blended. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 24 hours before serving. (Very important!)

sm

• jimtex
    16 years ago

I like a real simple salad with lettuce, tomato, red onion and kalamata olives topped with oil and lemon and feta cheese. I bought some feta in a block a couple of weeks ago for the first time and what a difference from that crumbled stuff that used to be the only available here. Definitely do Sharon's spanikopita. I think I only really and truly impressed my wife with my cooking a few times and that recipe was one of them.

• jimster
    16 years ago

There's not a recipe in this thread that doesn't make my mouth water. I'm going to the fridge right now to get some gorgonzola. If there is any left tomorrow (ha,ha,ha), I will have an onion and gorgonzola omelette.

Jim

• sands99
    16 years ago

Rats I love bleu cheeses and I use them all the time in pasta recipes but I can't for the life of me come up with a recipe someone can measure out! I just made a leek, chicken, broccoli, gorgozola pasta dish and DH loved it.

This is one of those 'wish I wrote it down moments'. I suck. All I remember is I had fresh chives and cream. That's almost a recipe?!?

I've made this one and it's tasty:

Pasta with Gorgonzola and Sweet Onion
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 large sweet onions, thinly
    sliced 2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese,
    crumbled
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in balsamic vinegar.
    3. In a large bowl, combine pasta, onion mixture, and Gorgonzola. Toss until evenly coated, and cheese is melted.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    16 years ago

Here's a tasty way to use feta that someone (my apologies, I can't remember who) posted on this forum a few years ago. It goes something like this:

Take finely minced garlic, combine with equal amounts of sweet butter and feta to form a spread. Smear on slices of baguette and broil until just browned.

Addictive!

seagrass

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    16 years ago

This is another recipe using feta that I've earmarked to try (have not made it yet)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Feta, Olive and Sun-dried Tomato Scones

• woodie
    16 years ago

I have lots of favorite blue cheese recipes! Here are a couple and I have some others from LindaC and Alex.

BLUE CHEESE WALNUT BITES
    (BHG 2000)

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2-3 teaspoons cracked black pepper
    8 ounces blue cheese
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    2 egg yolks, slighty beaten

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and pepper. Using a pastry blender cut in cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and egg yolks. Stir until combined. Form the mixture into a ball; knead until combined.

Divide dough in half. shape each half into a log about 9 inches long. Wrap logs in plastic wrap, chill at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 425*

Cut each log into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until bottoms and edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temp. Store tightly covered.

PARMESAN-BLUE CHEESE TOASTS WITH GREEN ONIONS

A nice addition to the holiday table. Serve with soup or salad, or even with drinks as an hors d'oeuvre.

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 5 ounces)
    3/4 cup finely crumbled blue cheese (about 3 ounces)
    28 1/3-inch-thick diagonal bread slices cut from 2 sourdough baguettes
    Olive oil
    3/4 cup finely chopped green onions

Combine mayonnaise, garlic, ground pepper, and cayenne pepper in medium bowl and whisk to blend. Mix in cheeses; season with salt. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
    Preheat oven to 400F. Brush 1 side of each bread slice with oil. Place oiled side down on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake bread slices until almost golden, about 5 minutes. Spread 1 generous tablespoon cheese mixture on each bread slice on sheet. Bake until cheese topping starts to bubble and toasts are golden at edges, about 10 minutes.
    Transfer toasts to large platter. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve warm.
    Makes 28.

Dried beef spread

Cream cheese mixed with a healthy squirt of Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, crumbled blue cheese and finely minced dried beef.

MQ'S Tiny Roquefort Popovers
    From Williams-Sonoma

Vegetable oil, for brushing

1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
    1 and 1/4 cups (10 fl oz/310 ml) milk, at room temperature
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    3 oz (90 g) Roquefort or other strong-flavored, crumbly blue cheese, crumbled
    Position an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 450 (220°C). Generously brush two 12-cup nonstick mini muffin pans with vegetable oil.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, white pepper, and parsley. In a large measuring pitcher, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined (don't worry if a few lumps remain). Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups to within about 1/4 inch (6 mm) of the rim (about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons each). Place a scant teaspoon crumbled cheese in the center of each filled cup.
    Bake for 10 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time. Reduce the heat to 350 (18O°C) and continue to bake until brown and crusty and fully puffed, 8-10 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a warmed: platter or napkin-lined bowl. Serve at once. Or, let cool on racks (for up to 2 hours, then reheat in a 350 (18O°C) oven for 10 minutes.
    MAKES 24 WARM BITES.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I just love the tangy feta and sweet roasted red peppers.

Jkom51s BILs Roasted Red Pepper/Feta Quiche

(1) Double Pate Brisee crust from Silver Palate for a 9x13 pan:

Ingredients:

3 C Flour
    1 tsp Salt
    pinch Sugar
    1 1/3 stick butter, chilled
    6 Tbsp Shortening, chilled
    1/2 C ice water

Sift the flour, sugar and salt together into a bowl; add butter and shortening and cut them into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture is like coarse meal. Sprinkle on and blend in enough ice water to make a workable dough, mixing water in lightly with a fork. Turn dough out onto your work surface and, using the heel of your hand, smear the dough away from you, about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape up the smeared dough into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Unwrap dough, place on floured work surface, and pound it a few times with your rolling pin to soften it. Roll out 1/8-inch thick, or to desired thickness. Drape dough over a 9x13 Pyrex pan; ease it into the pan without stretching, pat into place, trim off excess, and crimp edge if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and prick the bottom and sides well with a fork. Line the pan with foil or wax paper; fill with beans, rice, or pastry weights to weight the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the dough is just beginning to color. Remove from oven, remove weights and lining, and cool slightly.

(2) Filling

Drop oven temp to 375F.

1 small bunch chopped scallions, white and green parts (or onions species your choice)
    1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
    1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
    8 oz feta cheese
    Six eggs
    1 C Half & half
    1 Tbsp herb seasoning such as savory, thyme, Italian herb mix
    Fresh ground pepper (there is enough salt in the feta)

Sauté scallions in butter/oil your choice until slightly wilted. Add spinach and further cook until wilted. Remove from heat and cool, move to a large bowl. Chop roasted red peppers and feta and add to the bowl. Mix in the eggs, Half and Half, and herbs/pepper. Pour filling into the baked crust, and bake 30 - 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven, serve.

• san_
    16 years ago

feta was NOT something i loved the first time it was served to me but it was interesting enough to add to salads at home and didn't take any time at all to decide i wanted it more frequently. this is very rich--i think it's a julia recipe--and we love it!

Feta Stuffed Peppers

Blend together with a fork:
    ¼ # feta cheese
    1/3 C sour cream
    1 egg
    salt and pepper
    Worcestershire sauce
    A dash or two of hot pepper sauce

Spoon the above into:
    2 or 3 bell peppers, halved and seeded

Place onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 15 minutes or so

and if you like stuffed mushrooms, there's nothing here not to like:

Feta Stuffed Mushrooms

12 to 15 large mushrooms (save the stems)
    2 T butter
    3 T chopped scallions (about 3 scallions)
    1 T flour
    ¼ C milk
    3 T chopped parsley
    1 clove chopped garlic
    3 T crumbled feta
    ¼ C grated cheese

Mince the mushroom stems. Melt the butter is a small frying pan and add the mushroom stems and chopped scallions and cook until the butter is absorbed. Add the flour and stir. Add the milk and stir until thickened. Add parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the feta and stir. Fill the caps and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes.

we also think it's great with chicken. below are 2 dishes--the first i believe is from the frugal gourmet and the 2nd is from ann t--we've made them both a number of times and hope you might enjoy them too.

Chicken with Feta and Olives

Sauté 2# of chicken thighs in 1 T oil. Pour off most of the fat and add:

1 large chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Then add:

2 cloves of chopped garlic and cook just a minute or two. Pour over this:

14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
    ½ C dry red wine
    2 tsp dried oregano

Bring this to a boil and put the chicken back into the pan. Cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in some black olives. Remove to a serving platter and sprinkle on 2/3 C of feta cheese. Good served over rice or noodles.

Greek Chicken and Rice (Ann)

Saute 2 or 3 # of chicken parts in butter until brown

Add in 2 C water
    Salt and pepper
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 ½ C of chopped tomatoes
    1 tsp cinnamon

Cover and simmer 30 minutes then add in 1 C uncooked rice and stir. Cover and cook another 20 minutes or until the rice is done. (Note: can substitute orzo but it cooks a little more quickly than rice so the chicken should be cooked longer initially)

• Karigraphy
    16 years ago

Here's one with feta that our family likes:

SHRIMP DELIGHT
    From Smith & Hawken Gardeners' Community Cookbook
    (modified to simplify cooking method)

1 C. orzo pasta
    24 large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
    2 T. olive oil
    2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4" strips
    2 large shallots, finely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1 t. salt
    1/4 t. black pepper
    1 basket cherry tomatoes, halved
    2/3 C. crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 C. fresh chervil, chopped finely
    1/4 C. dry vermouth
    1 T. fresh basil, minced

Cook orzo in boiling water until done, drain and set aside.

Saute shrimp in a large skillet, remove from pan and set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet, stir in peppers and saute until barely softened, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, salt, pepper and continue cooking until shallots are translucent, about 4 more minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and vermouth just until heated through.

Combine orzo, shrimp, pepper mixture, feta, and chervil. Garnish with basil.

Serves 4 to 6. I often increase the amount of orzo because our family likes extra pasta.

Kari

• san_
    16 years ago

i'd also like to add these. i had asked a similar question once and copied several recipes then. still haven't tried them out but each one had real potential for us.

Feta from the Forum

Greek Feta Casserole (Joyce 9/17/01)

¾ C macaroni
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    ½ C feta cheese
    ¼ C milk
    ¾# ground lamb/pork
    8 oz tomato sauce
    ¼ C chopped onion
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    more feta for the topping

Cook the pasta. In a bowl, mix the egg, feta and mil. Add the cooked pasta. Spread the mixture into a small casserole dish. Brown the meat in a frying pan with oniondrain. Stir in tomato sauce, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Spread the meat mixture over the pasta and sprinkle with more feta. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    (The following recipes all came from the same poster but I am missing the page he/she started writing on, so I dont know who posted these. Perhaps "they" are still around and will step forward to claim their recipes!)
    Greek Lasagna
    1# ground sirloin
    ¼ C butter
    2 T tomato paste
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    ¾# feta
    2 tsp parmesan cheese
    2 ½ T cream cheese
    6 eggs, beaten
    1# ziti, cooked and drained

Brown the meat with the butter and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients, except eggs and pasta. Let the mixture cool completely. Add the eggs and stir in the ziti. Grease a 13 x 9 pan and pour in the mixture. Bake at 350 for an hour or until lightly browned.
    Feta Cheese Biscuits

3 C flour
    3 tsp baking powder
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 T sugar
    ¼ C shortening
    ½ C milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 C feta
    1 egg yolk

Stir flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender, until it has the consistency of meal. Pour milk and eggs into the flour mixture, slowly. Add the crumbled cheese. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Roll to desired thickness and cut with a round cutter. Use the egg yolk to paint the top of the biscuits. Bake on a cookie sheet at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Feta Herb Spread

2# plain yogurt
    1 garlic clove
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    1 C feta
    1 T olive oil
    2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
    1 tsp dried oregano

Drain yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve in the refrigerator overnight. Mash the garlic clove with the salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic paste, feta, oil, parsley and oregano. It will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 4 days.

Chicken, Feta and Pepper Heroes

1# boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
    3 T olive oil, divided
    2 tsp Tabasco
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground cumin
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
    ½ C feta
    4 hero rolls

Heat 1 T oil in a 12" skillet over medium high heat and cook the chicken until well browned, stirring frequently. Stir in Tabasco, salt and cumin. Remove from heat and put into a medium bowl. Heat 2 T oil in the skillet over medium heat and cook the pepper strips until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir the chicken mixture in with the pepper and divide this among the 4 hero rolls, and sprinkle the feta on top.

Feta, Cucumber and Spinach Pita Sandwiches

1 C plain, nonfat yogurt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    1 C coarsely chopped cucumber
    ¼ C chopped, drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
    2 T chopped green onion
    2 T chopped fresh mint
    1 T red wine vinegar
    1 tsp olive oil
    6 oz package of baby spinach
    2/3 C of feta (about 3 oz)
    4 pita breads, cut crosswise in half

Mix yogurt, garlic and cayenne in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Can be made a day aheadcover and chill.

Mix cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, green onion, mint, vinegar and oil in a large bowl. Stir in spinach and feta.

Preheat the oven to 350. Wrap the pita breads in foil. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes. Fill the pita halves with cucumber mixture. Spoon some yogurt dressing into each pita half. Serve, passing the remaining yogurt dressing separately.

• dirt_yfingernails
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I am impressed with all the responses and can hardly wait to try these recipes. I want to try them all! LOL

• jimster
    16 years ago

Me too! This is an inspiring thread.

Jim

• lindac
    16 years ago

Ok....I'm home now.,..
    Here's the stuffed mushrooms:
    Lois' Stuffed Mushrooms

1 pound fresh mushrooms ( meduim size)
    1/4 c. butter
    3 green onions
    1/2 c finely grated fresh bread crumbs
    3 T crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
    1 T minced fresh parsley
    1T lemon juice
    1/2 t salt
    Wipe mushrooms and remove stems. Chop stems and green onions ( tops too!) and saute in the butter until just getting soft. Add crumbs, cheese, parsley, lemon juice and salt. Place in mushroom caps in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with paprika, Bake 8 minutes at 450, and watch them disappear.

And one for cocktail wafers.
    Blue cheese cocktail cookies....4/12 dozen
    1 3/4 cups flour
    3/4 cups chopped pecans
    8 ox Maytag Blue cheese
    1/2 cup butter
    2 egg yolks beaten
    2 tsps fresh ground black pepper
    Combine all and mix with hands until smooth. roll into 2 1 1/2 inch rolls, wrap in plastic and chill 4 hours or over night.
    Slice into 1/4 inch slices, and bake 425 on ungreases sheet for about 10 minutes until lightly browned.

Spinach blue cheese and noodle casserole....and I apologize in advance for the COM soup!

Spinach Noodle Casserole
    8 oz package of spinach noodles
    2 packages frozen chopped spinach
    11 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup milk to thin the soup
    4 oz can of sliced mushrooms drained
    4 oz crumbled Maytag Blue Cheese
    Thaw the spinach, drain well and cut through several times with a chefs
    knife. Cook noodles according to package directions, and drain. Mix milk
    with the soup, add to noodles along with mushrooms and cheese.toss to
    mix and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly, about 25 to 35 minutes. Serves
    4 to 6 as a side dish.

Blue cheese stuffed pork chops:
    6 pork chops, 1 ½ inches thick with pocket cut
    3 T butter
    1 T fine minced onion
    ½ c crumbled Maytag blue cheese
    ¼ c. finely sliced mushrooms
    ¾ c. fine, dry bread crumbs (not moist, fresh bread)

Melt butter in skillet, add onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in blue cheese, bread crumbs and salt. Stuff chops and secure pockets with a toothpick. Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour and serve.

Salad dressings:
    Blue Cheese vinaigrette
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 large clove garlic crushed
    1 T.white corn syrup
    1/3 cup cider vinegar ( or rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar)
    2/3 cup olive oil
    2 T crumbled Maytag blue cheese
    Whisk together the first 4 ingredients, and continue to whisk while adding the olive oil in a stream. Add crumbled blue cheese....pepper to taste and fresh herb of your choice ( oregano is good as is Italian parsley)
    Rosy Blue Dressing
    1 small onion
    1 cup mayonaise
    1/3 cup olive oil
    3/4 cup catsup
    2 T cider vinegar
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon paprika
    4 oz Maytag blue cheese crumbled
    Put all but the cheese in a food processor and blend until mixed, add blue cheese and pulse to crumble.
    I'm on a roll here! One more

Fran's Zesty Blue Cheese Dressing
    4 oz Maytag Blue cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1 clove of minced garlic
    1 cup sour cream.
    Mash cheese and oil together with a fork until creamy and smooth, add rest of the ingredients and mix well. Makes 2 cups.
    And there are more recipse....soup, creamy salad dressintg dips etc...
    Linda C

• Lars
    16 years ago

Here's how I make bleu cheese dressing:

Ingredients

1/8 to 1/4 pound bleu cheese
    2 tsp black pepper (or to taste), coarsely ground
    3-4 dashes cayenne
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 to 2 cups mayonnaise

Directions

Break the cheese in a small bowl with a fork and add the lemon juice. Add the pepper and cayenne and stir with the fork. Add the mayonnaise. I leave lumps in mine, but you can make it smooth as well.
    Chill for at least half an hour before serving.

This is very similar to one Linda posted, but I don't use oil, garlic, or peel, and I use mayo instead of sour cream. I might try hers for a variation, however. Actually, I use Roquefort instead of bleu cheese because it is made with sheep's milk, and bleu cheese upsets my stomach.

As for feta, I use that mostly in omelets and sometimes use it in migas (see link below) instead of Cotija cheese. I also sometimes add it to my bean dip or else put it on chalupas.

Lars