SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Another Question about Roasted Red Pepper Spread

gardengrl
17 years ago

I made the roasted red pepper spread (started yesterday and finished today) and I really liked the way it came out. Heck, I can even see pouring this stuff over pasta, yum!

I weighed my red peppers (the recipe said 6 lbs) before I cut/seeded & roasted them. Everything else was fairly simple; however, I ended up with 7 half pints and the recipe said it made 5. I'm concerned because the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar. I actually measured a little over 1/2 cup. The spread's final consistency was a lot like very, very thick apple sauce....almost fruit butter consistency.

My canning results rarely make the exact amount listed in a recipe. I always have either a bit more or less, and I'm not concerned if it's a jelly, jam, pickled item, or even a pressure can item, because I know either the acid amounts are o.k. or I'm going to process it safely.

Is that little over 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar safe for this recipe? I get a little nervous about BWB low acid foods, unless there's a larger amount of an acid ingredient added.

Comments (8)