SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Looking at a 1912 house

Karolina11
11 years ago

So my fiance and I were originally looking at building lots but we noticed a foreclosure in the area we are looking in for about the same money as the lots we were looking at (we are looking for 3+ acres in central Pennsylvania). We were supposed to meet our realtor but due to a last minute emergency he rescheduled while we were already there. Regardless, this is a 1912 house and completely not what I had been doing research on so I had a few questions.

Few facts -
1. 1700+ square feet, newer siding, roof looked newer, just dropped dramatically in price because the septic was not working. From what I can tell, it looks like it has been attempted to been sold for numerous times (starting at $140,000+ and going down) since 2008 and then went into foreclosure and was put up by the bank in March.
2. Besides knowing I would have to replace the septic, my other big money concern is the foundation. It looks like the original brick foundation is there and crumbling but a new cinderblock foundation has been built about four feet around it. Problem is, from what I can tell, the only thing that the new cinderblock foundation is holding up is the wraparound porch. The rest of the house appears directly above the original brick foundation. I do not know anything about load bearing beams or the like so does this add-on foundation sound like something that is done with houses in this period?
3. It looks like this house was sold in 1993, 1994, 1998 and then exchanged hands between a divorced couple in the 2000s. With that many exchanges is it likely that I will still find lead piping in the house or is it something that is usually looked at and fixed during inspections?
4. When we actually get inside of the house, what should I specifically be looking for to see if it might have any big problems?
5. If you have redone an older home, does anyone know what problems come with tearing down walls, making window openings bigger, or putting in an hvac system? I know these would be things we would want to do.

I obviously will be getting an inspector if we decide to proceed but I know that due to this being a foreclosure and being sold as is that I do not want to put in an offer and pay for an inspection if I can tell right out that this will cost dramatically more than a new home build. I love the location, love the porch, have lived in an older house before so love the usual character, but am hesitant about fixing it.

Comments (2)