SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

Where to turn for help? 1912 home vandalized wiring stolen

gardurnit
14 years ago

Where to turn when 1912 house was vandalized and much wiring stolen along with panel and A/C units?

I'm poor and was depending on moving into a large house which I could rent rooms. If I can't move in I may become homeless.

Today I made an inspection. The wiring to the panel is gone as it the entire panel. Code enforcement violations are piling up

due to people calling police for vandals and graffiti on the property. The bill is 3x the amount of money I have.

If I sell the house I'll lose 15% off the top to capital gains.

The wiring in the basement is cut out. I still see circuits where they didn't get wiring but tracing it all will be a kind of nightmare

that I think might be easier to just run new circuits instead of adding junction boxes. What I can't understand is my legal

requirement, using ICC or State of California laws.

While the City stated they're willing to work with me I feel inadequate to even understand how bad , or good, it is.

I don't know where to turn for advice. There's Habitat for Humanity and others but I don't know if they'll help.

When I called I did not get a welcome reception. I'm single they help families.

Advice from an electrician would be useful as he /she knows the law. From there I do think I can do the wiring. The total

cost for materials might be $1000 an that's ok. But then my money gets low and I need to watch it closely.

What would you do? Please .. I need expert answers which are helpful.

Thanks

Comments (7)