SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

Can't install ClosetMaid - please help!

lithigin
19 years ago

I finally bought all the shelves and brackets for the Super Slide ClosetMaid system for our teeny "master" closet (46"x36"). Our house was built in 1940 and we have plaster walls.

I went to install the brackets that hold the shelves and hanging rod. The instruction drawing implies one should drill 1/4" hole, push the plastic socket things in, and push the nail in after that. Well, I got about half of the plastic sockets in, and the rest wouldn't push in. I assumed that nailing the nails in place would push the rest of the plastic part in.

A million nail hits later, they are half in, and I consult closetmaid.com, a move I probably should have done first, but how hard is it to put plastic sockets in and put screws/nails in afterwards? I've only done it dozens of times for other projects. Anyway, turns out you're not supposed to nail them in; they're supposed to push in like a pin and that in turn has a molly bolt effect on the two halves of the plastic socket.

I pulled the nails out (which pulled a chunk of wall out, as well). Through the new holes in my wall, I can see that plaster is over a concrete-looking subwall that's very porous and hard. ??? Nothing at all like the gypsum wallboard that is the subwall in my kitchen. Did they even have concrete in 1940? This is in both sides of my closet (exterior and interior walls) I'm so frustrated!

How can I install this system? Closetmaid's website says: "In concrete, you will need to use a masonry bit to drill 1/4" holes at least 1" deep. #8 x 1" screws will be used in install hardware." Does that mean screws without the plastic part? Should I cut the plastic part off? Should I just cut off the "molly bolt" part of the plastic? But that was the only part that sunk in my 1/4" holes earlier. It was the threaded, thicker base of the plastic part that wouldn't go in my wall with any amount of pushing, and you can't hammer plastic.

Please help if you can! What might this concretey material be? How can I work around it? I don't think you can use the vertical track stuff with the SuperSlides.

Thanks in advance,

Lindsay

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of hole in wall

Comments (3)