SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Trying for my perfect oatmeal cookie

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I have yet to make my version of the perfect oatmeal cookie. All my recipes seem to be too "cakey" for my taste. I'm sure they are that way because they came from more "healthy" recipe sources, lol! On the other hand, I have a couple of recipes I find too "crispy". Right now I have some INSTANT oatmeal that I bought by mistake and I'd like to use it up since I am not a fan of this type of oatmeal as a breakfast cereal. I'm thinking of using Ann T.'s recipe which I saw on her blog the other day. I just don't know how it will work with instant oats, what the difference will be between them and rolled oats. Also Ann, they look to be on the crispy side. My ideal is sort of crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, but not cakey or doughy. I have eaten such cookies so I know it can be done, but cannot manage to make my own version. Anyone have any recipes, ideas or tips to share? Seems like Ann whenever I make your recipes my take just doesn't turn out as good. You must have some extra kitchen magic, cook's karma type thing going on!

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Oatmeal - Best Oatmeal Cookies

==============================

Source: Toronto Star

1 Cup butter

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup

packed brown sugar

1 egg

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 2/3 cup flour

3/4 Teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon

baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

dash nutmeg

1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until smooth. Add vanilla Combined flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir into butter mixture. Add rolled oats. Roll into small balls (golf ball size) and flatten with glass dipped in sugar. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Cookie should not get brown. Cool on wire rack.

Comments (54)

• sally_grower
    14 years ago

I don't see why not, my hubby doesn't like raisins so I make some first with out any raisins and then when his are made I put in some raisins and finish the batch! It works fine. Let me know if you like them :)

• dlundin
    14 years ago

I made these before and they were the best oatmeal cookies I've had. They're from Auntie Em's, published in the L.A. Times.

Dear SOS: I was at Auntie Em's Kitchen in Eagle Rock today for the first time. While they are known for their amazing cupcakes and fantastic food, today I had the best oatmeal cookie I've ever eaten. It was thin, chewy and crispy at the same time, with subtle hints of spices. Absolutely delicious! I'm sorry I didn't bring home a few more. Do you think they might share the recipe with us?

Michelle Richards

Santa Monica

Dear Michelle: These oatmeal cookies are packed with oats and raisins, and the scent of cinnamon and vanilla as they bake is all but overpowering. And you're right: with crisp outer edges and wonderfully chewy centers, these combine the best of both cookie worlds. You might want to plan ahead and make a double batch.

Auntie Em's Kitchen oatmeal raisin cookies

Total time: 30 minutes, plus baking time

Servings: 2 dozen large cookies

Note: Adapted from chef Michelle Risucci of Auntie Em's Kitchen.

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, room temperature

1 1/3 cups (10 1/2 ounces) sugar

1 1/3 cups (10 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar

3 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) flour

3/4 cup wheat germ

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups ( 1/2 pound) golden raisins

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. With the mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, until each is incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

4. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the raisins.

5. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop one-fourth cup dough for each cookie and slightly flatten them, leaving 2 inches between each cookie (they will spread). Slightly flatten the top of each cookie and bake one tray at a time, on the center rack, for consistent baking and coloring. The cookies will be done when set and lightly colored and the edges are slightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.

• Related Discussions

Oatmeal cookies with brandied raisins.

Q

Comments (5)
    Eileen, oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites, although my kids always wanted buttterscotch chips in them instead of raisins. I did convince them raisins were OK when I started using chocolate covered raisins, LOL. I'll have to give your recipe a try, I like the recipes with old fashioned oats and a ratio of oats to flour that is at least equal, or more oats than flour. They have that chewy texture that I like best. Annie
    ...See More

Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe???

Q

Comments (4)
    I've never used coconut oil, but I've been using agave nectar lately because I'm avoiding sugar and other sweeteners which spike blood glucose. I've had trouble finding recipes. When I googled it, I got many hits for a recipe book using it, and also tips for using it to replace other liquid sweeteners. I was hoping for a few real recipes, ones that would probably otherwise use sugar. It is hard to sub a liquid for a granular sweetener, so I was hoping for some T&T ones where someone else had done all the trying and testing. I ended up on a lot of sites for vegans and raw foodies, but I'm neither - I just want to avoid sugar. So, I have assembles a few recipes like the oatmeal cookies above, also a decent chocolate brownie (OK, I like it, but then I also liked the 5 min microwave mug cake....). I've done my own experimenting with muffins, since I don't like them too sweet anyway, and they seem to be very forgiving when I mess around with liquid/dry proportions. Anyway, I'm able to do a bit of baking now without sugar, but nothing that requires a whole lot of sweetener (I don't like to use more than 1/2 c. of AN), but I think I'm better off just avoiding really sweet stuff - there is still a lot out there that I can eat and enjoy.
    ...See More

The best oatmeal cookies I've ever made.

Q

Comments (4)
    No problem. My life seems to be filled with strange characters lately. Wish I could bake them and have them for breakfast LOL
    ...See More

Oatmeal Cranberry Flax Cookies

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe as well as your changes. It looks like my kind of cookie.... :-) I would replace the 1/4 c. of flax seeds with almost anything else because whole flax are of little value, except as a laxative; while the flaxmeal is a "good" thing because you have to grind flax seeds to get all the nutritional value out of them. I'd probably add chia seeds or whole amaranth (or a mix of those two). Kasha would also be an interesting add-in instead of the flax seeds. I always make my own flaxmeal in a coffee/spice mill so I have the freshest possible, as well as saving a pile of money from commercially prepared flaxmeal. I purchase flax seeds in bulk amounts. -Grainlady
    ...See More
  • Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Like Ann, I tend to only use old fashioned rolled oats in my oatmeal cookies.

But the one ingredient I always add to mineÂwhich keeps them chewyÂis date molasses.
    Regular molasses is fine, I just prefer the taste of the former.

Sol

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I love this recipe. It was posted by Ginger St Thomas under a thread about Sam's Club oatmeal raisin cookies. People who think they don't like oatmeal raisin cookies really like these. I usually omit the nutmeg.
    Jo

BIG CHEWY OATMEAL-RAISIN COOKIES

Makes 16 to 20 large cookies

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it's not a necessity. If you don't use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Ingedients:

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter,
    softened but still firm
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paperÂcovered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.

DATE OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups chopped dates for the raisins.

GINGER OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger.

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips for the raisins.

NUT OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins, decrease flour to 1 1/3 cups, and add 1/4 cup ground almonds and 1 cup walnut pieces along with oats. Almonds can be ground in food processor or blender.

ORANGE AND ALMOND OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 2 tablespoons minced orange zest (remove zest with peeler, being careful to leave behind any white pith) and 1 cup toasted chopped almonds (toast almonds in 350-degree oven for 5 minutes) along with oats.

Author(s): Christopher Kimball - Eva Katz
    Written: January,1997

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hi Lpink,

It's been a while since I've posted but I still lurk occasionally. Here's some basic cookie chemistry that might help you get the right texture for your cookies.

For Flat Cookies
    If you want your cookies on the flat side, you can do some or all of the following things: Use all butter, use all-purpose flour or bread flour, increase the sugar content slightly, add a bit of liquid to your dough, and or bring the dough to room temperature before baking.

For Puffy Cookies
    If you like your cookies light and puffy, try some of the following tricks. Use shortening or margarine and cut back on the fat, add an egg, cut back on the sugar, use cake flour or pastry flour, use baking powder instead of baking soda, refrigerate your dough before baking.

For Chewy Cookies
    If chewiness is your desire remove the cookies a few minutes before they are done, while their centers are still soft and not quite cooked through. The edges should be slightly golden but the middle will still look slightly raw. Use brown sugar or honey as a sweetener. Try using egg yolks instead of whole eggs. This will add some extra moistness to the cookies thus helping to be a bit more on the chewy side.

For Crispy Cookies
    For crisp and crunchy cookies, bake your cookies a few minutes longer than suggested and immediately remove them to a wire rack to cool. Cookies made with all butter and high amounts of white sugar will also crisp quite nicely. Another trick is to use bread flour.

Hope this helps!
    Becky

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm wondering about using half butter and half margarine. That gives it the best of both worlds--butter's flavor and crunch, margarine's "softness." I really do not like margarine though! Don't know what I'd do with the rest of the box of marg.--freeze it and use it for cookies I guess!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Tips: Make them larger. Under bake them. Brown the top, dark brown. That's what works best for me for a crispy outside and chewy inside. Doesn't heavier brown sugar to white sugar ratio give a cookie a chewier texture?

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

lpink - Linda C's caramel cheetos. I've bought margarine twice in my life, both times for those.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

oooh and to back up on Boo's post...

I've been using duck eggs in baking..and they do make cookies texture change..They may just help the chewiness factor too in Oatmeal cookies..they "fluff" up chocolate chip cookies and take away the crisp edges.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Welcome back, Becky. You've been missed!
    Jo

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Thanks Jo! I'll try and at least "lurk" more frequently!

Lpink, I have 2 oatmeal cookie recipes that are favorites of mine. If you're interested in trying them, I'll post them.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to try them all!! No sacrafice is too great in the quest for the perfect oatmeal cookie.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Lpink,

I was looking over on the recipe forum and found the thread that Jo mentioned above. I think I'm going to have to make these cookies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam's Club Oatmeal Cookies

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't been able to make any cookies yet. I have gotten as far as printing out all the recipes. I wanted to start this weekend but was sick Sunday and very busy Sat. The butter is softened though, lol! I'll report back but it takes me a while to get to these tasks as I am working so much--3 jobs to keep the bills paid, barely.

• lithigin
    14 years ago

The best oatmeal cookies are the following recipe from Allrecipes. I do dried tart cherries and dark chocolate chips in half, and nuts and chips in the other half. Fabulous texture and great for days! Although because they are so chunky, rolling them into balls gives better results than drop cookies. Not my preference to roll, but they look gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Choco Chip Oatmeal Cookies

• jude31
    14 years ago

No, no, no! Either chocolate chip or oatmeal...separately, not together.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

LOL, jude!! A purist, I see.

Lpink, I use one from a Mrs. Fields cookie book. It's at home, but I'll try to remember to bring it.
    Let's just say that page is VERY, VERY sticky and stained!
    It's a little unusual in that the cookies bake at only 300 degrees, for (I think) 18 minutes.

Perfectly crisp edges and chewy middles. You can adjust this slightly by the baking time. Underbake a minute or two and there's more "chewy", bake a minute longer and there's more "crisp".

Deanna

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I have always considered Mrs. Fields oatmeal raisin cookies to be the ultimate oatmeal raisin cookie. Yum.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Drum roll please............

Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Cookie Recipe!
    Published by Time Life books, copyright Debbi Fields 1992

Oatmeal Raisin Chews

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen without walnuts, 3 dozen with walnuts

2 1/2 c. AP flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup quick oats (I use old fashioned, they're fine)
    1 c. dark brown sugar
    1/2 c. white sugar
    1 c. salted butter, softened
    2 TBS. honey
    2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 c. raisins
    1/2 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine flour, soda, salt and oats in a medium bowl and mix with wire whisk, set aside.

In a large bowl, mix sugars with electric mixer.
    Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste.
    Scrape down sides of bowl, then add honey, vanilla & eggs.
    Mix until fully combined.
    Add the flour mixture, raisins and walnuts, mix on low until just combined, do not overmix.
    Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2 in. apart.
    Bake for 18-22 minutes or until cookies are light golden brown.
    Immediately transfer to a cool flat surface.

Pour milk. Enjoy!

OK, that last line is mine. :-)
    My notes:
    I never use an electric mixer.
    I just put the cookies on a sheet of foil on the counter top when I remove from cookie sheet.
    I almost always double the batch and fill up 2 or 3 cottage cheese container with dough and freeze it. Those will each make about 2 dozen FRESH cookies later!
    This has been the only oatmeal cookie recipe I make since the first time we tried it.

Hope you like them as much as we do.
    Deanna

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

If these are like the ones they sell in the malls, they are heaven.

• Lars
    14 years ago

To make crisp cookies, you can substitute granola for the oatmeal, but then you have to reduce the amount of sugar accordingly, depending on how sweet the granola is. I usually reduce it by 1/3, but then I don't like overly sweet cookies. They also take less time to cook when using granola. My favorite granola to use has almonds and coconut in it, and I generally add chocolate chips.

Lars

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Becky, welcome back, I hope you're here more often. I was thinking of you last night, as I was picking the Concord grapes. My jam is never as good as yours, must be the grapes, LOL.

L, how are you doing on those cookies? I know it's a sacrifice, but I'm trusting you to do all that cookie research for me and save my jeans from getting too small.

Here is the recipe I use, originally on the Quaker Oats box and calling specifically for quick oats. It has a large proportion of oats to flour and I underbake them so they stay chewy. I like the cinnamon in there too. I always omit the salt and I usually use half butter/half margarine, because that's what Grandma did. Oh, and DARK brown sugar. Mmmmmm.....cookies, it's what's for breakfast. (grin)

Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    3 cups of Quaker Oats (Quick)
    1 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° F. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Slowly stir in oats. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on sheet, remove to wire rack.
    BAR COOKIES: Bake 30 to 35 minutes on ungreased 13 x 9-inch metal pan.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I intend to start my research this weekend, unless something somes up or I get sick again, :(
    So far I'm doing OK! It may take me several years to work my way through all these recipes though!
    I'm gonna share them with my students. Luckily, oatmeal is really cheap.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Are you going to let the students have input, or are they simply "compost piles" to rid yourself of the excess cookies? (grin)

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Annie, that's the recipe I keep going back to, too.

Back when you sent me those lovely dried cherries, I did a variation on them. Instead of raisins, I used 1/2 tart cherries and 1/2 golden raisins. Then I doublted the vanilla and added a short of tawny port. And of course I added plenty of the Vietnamese cinnamon.

Can't make those anymore. We eat them too fast!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Renee, if I only had some good coffee to go with them, it would be a PERFECT breakfast, LOL.

The Monkey Princess only eats oatmeal cookies if I add chocolate covered raisins, but I'd love the dried cherries, that's a great idea.

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Yeah, I hear you on the coffee. I finally found some that's acceptable, but I really miss the good stuff.

Heh, Princess would like DH's cookies, then. He uses Raisinettes and lots of vanilla and cinnamon.

The tart cherries at Trader Joe's are acceptable, but they are nothing like the Michigan ones.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ta Da! Here's my first test batch of oatmeal cookies, starting with Ann T's recipe.

They're not burnt, that's just poor lighting! They turned out good but I had some technical difficulties, as per usual with me and any type of dough manipulation. I have a cookie scooper that is about golf ball shaped but I think I started out making them a bit too large, they should have been more small walnut sized I think. And, the glass I was using to "flatten" them with the sugar was concave, so they were getting squished in a way that left them bulging in the middle and thin around the edges. And then at first I underbaked and then I over baked. But overall they have been yummy! A lot like my Bubbe used to make, but hers were a little more rounded. I can't wait to try the rest of the recipes, but at the rate I move on things it will be a year before I work my way through. A yummy year though! I can't get enough of oatmeal cookies, and they are rather inexpensive really.

• Lars
    14 years ago

Annie, Dana, who shares my office three days a week found the same "vanishing" oatmeal cookies recipe on a box of Quaker Oats, and she wrote it down to save, expecting the recipe to vanish from the next box of oats that she bought. However, as she told me, the recipe kept appearing on subsequent boxes of oats, and so she could not understand why it was called vanishing oatmeal cookies recipe, since the recipe never seemed to vanish. Dana is also from a small town in Michigan, about an hour and a half WNW of Detroit. I suggested to her that it was the cookies that vanished instead of the recipe, and a light bulb went off in her head. I can really sympathize with her because I've gotten a lot of things like that wrong myself. I always thought that "When it rains, it pours" on the Morton salt box meant that the rain would always pour - it never occurred to me that the salt would also pour until I was at least in my 20s.

Chocolate covered raisins sound like a great addition to oatmeal cookies!

Lars

• Chi
    14 years ago

I found a recipe the other day for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies on epicurious.com (linked below).

They turned out very good - maybe not for oatmeal cookie purists but I loved the combination. I decreased the sugar to 3/4 cup each based on multiple reviews of the recipe and before I refrigerated the dough, I put some ribbons of peanut butter throughout so when it chilled, the ribbons hardened and gave swirls of peanut butter in the finished product. The ground up oatmeal really gives it a great texture and the grated chocolate really ups the flavor throughout the cookie.

Jose's Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (Source: epicurious.com)

* 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
    * 1 cup granulated sugar
    * 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    * 3/4 cup peanut butter
    * 2 large eggs
    * a 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
    * 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated

In a food processor pulse 1 cup oats until ground fine. In a large bowl stir together ground oats, remaining 1/2 cup whole oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy and beat in vanilla and peanut butter. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and gradually beat in flour mixture. Add chocolate chips and grated chocolate, beating just until combined. Chill cookie dough, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 week.

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Form rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and arrange about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly.

Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until just pale golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes and transfer to racks to cool completely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Deanna, lastnight I made your recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Chews and we loved them. Nice and chewy moist!

Thank you!

Nancy

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Try them with dried cranberries (or cherries)!
    Oh. Man. Good stuff!

I have to freeze part of the dough or I'd bake and eat the entire batch!!!

Glad you enjoyed them, but it's Mrs. Fields not me!! LOL

Deanna

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I made the Mrs. Field's recipe. They are very good and moist. I did make a few changes. I subbed a 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal for a 1/4 cup of the flour and reduced the white sugar by 1/4 cup. We like things less sweet. I also used about double the nuts because I was short on raisins. Yum!

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

And I plumped the raisins in some white wine. I don't like caramelized raisins. They taste burned to me.

• Judi
    last month
    last modified: last month

OMG, the names that go way back!

I found my oatmeal cookie on this forum many years ago. It was Nancy (wizard) who shared it. It's originally from Cooks Illustrated. Best I've ever tasted!

Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour

¾ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats

½ teaspoon sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel for sprinkling on top)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and stir until well incorporated.

Roll into balls, then place on baking sheets about 2 ½ inches apart. Using fork gently press down each ball to about ¾-inch thickness. Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt on each cookie. (optional)

Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

Nancy (CF) ~ original recipe from Cooks Illustrated

• Eileen
    last month

I looked up that recipe on another site and there was a reminder that Cook's Illustrated uses 140 grams for a cup of flour. I always use King Arthur's 120 grams per cup. Do you weigh your flour, Judi?

• Judi
    last month

No, I've never weighed flour. I use King Arthur unbleached all purpose and their bread flour for bread baking.

• Eileen
    last month

It's a difference of two tablespoons. Maybe that's significant for a recipe that uses only a cup of flour, maybe not. A lot of the photos from blogs show a flatter cookie than yours. Yours look better.

• plllog
    last month

People always talk about precision in baking. For cookies and cakes, I’ve always found that the ingredients matter more to the outcome than exact measures. Two tbsp is pretty significant, but Gold Medal vs. King Arthur is more significant, and so is bleached vs. unbleached. All will make up fine in a T&T recipe, but the outcomes will be noticeably different,

• l pinkmountain
    last month

I printed out the post and use it often. Oatmeal is our favorite cookie. I've tried most of the recipes, all are good. I use about 2/3 butter and 1/3 hard shortening, usually from a margarine stick. Using part shortening is the key to staying soft and chewy, but not too much. Butter makes good taste and browning. So it's a balancing act, you can adjust to suit your style.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    last month

Ingredients can make a huge difference to quantities. Gold Medal AP flour has about 11% protein. King Arthur AP flour has 11.7% protein; King Arthur bread flour has 12.7% protein, and King Arthur cake flour has 10% protein. The protein level impacts gluten production (or at least its potential), so different flour can result in different texture.

When I was in high school, I decided to make cookies for my friend who was doing eliminate diet tests, so she couldn't have wheat, sugar, and a number of other ingredients. It took me a number of attempts to rebalance ratios of an oatmeal cookie while trying to replace the flour (replacing the sugar with honey went pretty smoothly). My final recipe ended up using a combination of soy flour and pulverized oats. I tossed a lot of cookies that had various issues from being gritty (rice flour issue) to overly dense (soy flour does not replace AP flour 1-to-1), to burnt (that was actually from subbing in the honey ... had to adjust temp/time), and I don't remember what other failures I had. I do wish I had the notes from the intermediary attempt that came out like a lace cookie, but I don't know what I did for those anymore.

• plllog
    last month

True, but you're trying not to develop gluten in cakes and cookies. There are other differences including the size of the flour particles, absorption rates, etc. that have an effect. Plus there's the water percentage in the butter, the size and melting points of the fat globules, the way the sugar melts and how much it acts as a liquid, etc., etc. And then there are the characteristics of the pans and ovens. T&T recipes can fail when the circumstances change, whereas many experienced bakers instinctively adjust for their differing ingredients and circumstances without conscious scientific calculations.

• Lars
    last month
    last modified: last month

I put raisins and chocolate chips in my oatmeal cookies, unless I am adding chopped dates.

However, as I said 14 years ago, I like to make them with granola, and I haven't bought granola in a very long time.

I did buy some Rice Krispies last month as a substitute for Tenkasu to use in okonomiyaki. They don't work quite as well, and now I have a box of Rice Krispies and have to figure out something to do with them. I'll probably try to make them into cookies. This recipe https://thecookiedoughdiaries.com/rice-krispie-cookies/ looks good to me, but I'll need to buy chocolate chips and coconut.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    last month

Cranberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

A modified version of the Quaker Oats VORC (look under the lid). As with all cookie recipes, freezing your chocolate chips and cranberries will make a huge difference in the finished cookie. The chips will hold together under heat and cranberries won't puree in the mixer. Let these cookies cool completely!

Ingredients:

• 2 sticks unsalted butter
    • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3 cups Quaker Oats - regular, not the instant or overnight
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1 cup chocolate chips - not minis
    • 2 cups cranberries

Process:

• Cream both sugars and the butter until soft and fluffy
    • Add the eggs and vanilla and mix
    • Mix the flour, baking soda, cranberries, and chocolate chips in a large bowl and then add to the mixer and combine at low speed for a minute at most
    • Add the oatmeal and combine at low speed
    • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
    • Roll the dough into 1" to 1-1/2" balls and place on the baking sheets
    • Flatten them if you want crispy cookies, otherwise leave them as balls to get chewy centers
    • Bake 13-15 minutes or until the edges start to get brown
    • Cool completely on racks. Yields around 3 dozen cookies

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    last month

Oatmeal Scotchies

Thanks to Annie1992 at the Houzz Cooking forum. Not just another oatmeal cookie! This one is loaded with butterscotch chips (hence the name) and of course, the goodness of oatmeal.

Ingredients:

• 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
    • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    • 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
    • 2 large eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
    • 3 cups Quaker Oats regular oatmeal
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 bag butterscotch chips - frozen

Construction:

Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.

Combine the flour, oatmeal, and baking soda and mix briefly. Then add the butterscotch chips and mix until combined at low speed.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll the dough into 1" balls and place with lots of room on the parchment paper. Bake cookies at 375 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly then move to wire racks to cool completely. Yields around 4 dozen cookies.

• plllog
    last month

Curious question, Ricky: When you're making these for patients and use your infused butter, you can just sub it one for one without altering the outcome? Or does it affect flavor or texture?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    last month

Sub one for one. We use a lot of mint and really high quality Jamaican vanilla. There's almost no cannabis taste. Four dozen cookies are made from 200 grams of cannabutter. That's roughly one stick.

• plllog
    last month

Thanks, Ricky! It's just pursuit of knowledge, but IRL I met someone last year who was about to make theraputic cookies for a loved one, and I disuaded her from the Alice B. of her youth and explained about cannabutter's existence. She knows how to use the internet, but never thought to look up the modern techniques. So thank-you for the education!

• annie1992
    last month

Ricky, the cranberry/chocolate combo sounds really good.

I really need to make some of those oatmeal scotchies soon too.

Annie